Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire. Should I request roadside assistance or take it to a tire shop myself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how much Tesla Roadside would charge to patch a nail in a tire? The car is drive-able but the nail is awfully close to the side wall? Or does anyone just recommend going to nearest shop?
IMG_0819.JPG

Yeah I contemplated about Roadside assistance but after reading several post here, it sounds like Roadside will try to get me to buy a tire instead of patching.

My car is only 3 months old with less than 5k miles. Hopefully the nearest Americas Tire shop a few mins away can patch if not Ill plug it myself which Ive done on my previous cars. Only downside from what someone said here is its quite questionable where the nail is. Its not on the sidewall but from pics its awfully close.

If I plug myself, I would need to get a jack/ jackstand/ jack pucks.

I had a screw in a similar position (MYP). My local tire shop wouldn't touch it. They gave me a price on a new tire but couldn't get one for a few days. I took it to Tesla who could get one quicker. Tesla ended up about $50 cheaper too.

I had a nail in another tire but in a patchable position. My tire shop agreed to fix it then destroyed my tire while dismounting so I got a new tire for the cost of a patch. They punched a 4 inch hole in the sidewall with their dismounting machine.

Similarly, I personally have found tire certificates to be worthwhile. I learned when you can buy them even if you didn't buy the tires from the store (with Discount Tire, anyways). They're a little more expensive because of the cost of the tire, but much less expensive than replacing just one tire. Having replaced 6 tires on my last car from sidewall bubbles and blow outs from potholes and debris, they paid for themselves quickly. And they will patch your tires for free if it is pluggable or patchable.

Similarly, I personally have found tire certificates to be worthwhile. I learned when you can buy them even if you didn't buy the tires from the store (with Discount Tire, anyways). They're a little more expensive because of the cost of the tire, but much less expensive than replacing just one tire. Having replaced 6 tires on my last car from sidewall bubbles and blow outs from potholes and debris, they paid for themselves quickly. And they will patch your tires for free if it is pluggable or patchable.

they charge 15% the cost of the tire. You buy 4 certificates and they require you to buy a certificate on the replacement tire.

so if you have one replacement you saved 25%. If you have no replacements, you spent 15% extra.

It’s an insurance product. Works for many. Discount tire always makes money on it overall.

Daughter had a similar nail in a similar location- not safe to repair according to Costco- but they don't carry the right tire in stock so we called roadside and indeed they too agreed not safe to repair. But the good news was that roadside could send mobile tire to her address in the Seattle area and change it right on the driveway- Cost about $400 all in- house call, new tire, mount and balance as well as rotate since he was here. Expensive, yes- but I think that's the going price for the ContiSilent tire anyway. YMMV and of course you need to live within one of their mobile tire service areas.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
UPDATE.

Went to Americas Tire a few mins away from my place and they looked at it and said it was patchable. They did not charge me a time and said it was free. He said its free for everyone.

I drove the car in their bay as instructed by them and the guy pulled the nail/screw out.

It was super short and didnt puncture my tire at all.

Ill get a tire patch kit and store in my car from now on. I dont know why I dont keep one in the MYP. I use to carry on in my C63 AMG all the time.

I already have a portable tire compressor so that will pair well with it if something ever happens on a road trip.

Thanks for all the feedback.

This just happened to me last night. Ran into Walmart for a plug kit and was back on the road soon thereafter. Just keep an eye on tire pressure after you top it off. If it starts to go down, you can always get it to a tire shop and have them patch from the inside. I've done this for years on my cars with no issues. Disclaimer: this does not apply to the sidewall of the tire. 😬

Reactions: mswlogo