Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire = Tesla or Discount Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are confusing tire sealant with tire plug. Sealant will not work due to the foam absorbing the viscous material and preventing it from reaching the puncture.

While that also wouldn't work, I'm not confused. I cannot seem to find an authoritative reference, but I know I've read several things that indicate it's not a good idea.

I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been suggested, but...

Do yourself a huge favor, and put a plug kit, rubber cement, an air compressor, and some vice grips in your trunk.

It is *very easy* to use a plug kit on the side of the road, especially if you use rubber cement with it. The rubber cement isn't technically needed, as it doesn't really add anything to the plug's ability to prevent air loss; it's used as a lubricant to make it easier to insert the plug properly.

Also keep in mind that the stock Tesla tires have a layer of sound absorbing foam in them, so things like "Tire Slime" and "Fix-A-Flat" won't work.

Do yourself a huge favor, and put a plug kit, rubber cement, an air compressor, and some vice grips in your trunk.

It is *very easy* to use a plug kit on the side of the road, especially if you use rubber cement with it. The rubber cement isn't technically needed, as it doesn't really add anything to the plug's ability to prevent air loss; it's used as a lubricant to make it easier to insert the plug properly.

I do own a plug kit, but I've never needed to use it before. Is it necessary to jack the wheel off the ground to patch it?

I do own a plug kit, but I've never needed to use it before. Is it necessary to jack the wheel off the ground to patch it?
It isn't strictly necessary, but it does help to avoid potential damage to the bead of the tire, as you will be completely deflating the tire when you plug it.

I've plugged around five or so tires over the last 35 years without jacking the vehicle up, and haven't damaged a tire yet, though.

It isn't strictly necessary, but it does help to avoid potential damage to the bead of the tire, as you will be completely deflating the tire when you plug it.

I've plugged around five or so tires over the last 35 years without jacking the vehicle up, and haven't damaged a tire yet, though.

Thanks, good to know. Especially since it doesn't appear anyone makes a compact jack low enough and strong enough for the Model 3.

Thanks, good to know. Especially since it doesn't appear anyone makes a compact jack low enough and strong enough for the Model 3.
I got this one, but it's now showing as unavailable. :/ I really like it, it's easy to use and well built. I also got this jack lift point adapter, too.

I keep the plug kit, rubber cement, a bunch of different pliers, the jack, the adapter, and two air compressors in my car. Yeah, it's overkill, but I drive 135 miles across the desert to go to work, and it's always the wee hours of the morning when I'm driving home. :)

• Informative
Reactions: gecko10x
I got this one, but it's now showing as unavailable. :/ I really like it, it's easy to use and well built. I also got this jack lift point adapter, too.

I keep the plug kit, rubber cement, a bunch of different pliers, the jack, the adapter, and two air compressors in my car. Yeah, it's overkill, but I drive 135 miles across the desert to go to work, and it's always the wee hours of the morning when I'm driving home. :)

Did you remove the pinch weld adapter that's on the jack?

Are SC time that valuable? I find mine is more valuable.

In that case take it to a tire store. They will get you in and out faster than a Tesla SC will. I'm actually surprised SC even do tire work, when I was a mechanic we didn't if there was a warranty issue with a tire we had a porter take it up the street to a tire store. We would rotate and balance but I don't think I ever saw a mechanic take a tire off the wheel in the 2 years I worked there. I've changed tires on my own cars twice decided it is way too much work.

I have gotten in the habit of the first time I drive the car everyday, I check the tire pressures. It's just a swipe of the screen card section after 1/2 block of driving. Nails and screws sometimes take many days before they'll trigger the pressure alarm. You can see a trend sooner this way. This is particularly a good idea for those with challenging drives.