Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

nail in tire. this is repairable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP uberturbine Michelin AS. 500 miles on passenger rear tire.
can I plug it from outside without jacking up car?
can these tires be patched from the inside?
would Tesla sc plug/patch?

Attachments

• 20220301_203925.jpg
    20220301_203925.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 901
  • 20220301_203920.jpg
    20220301_203920.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 20220301_203913.jpg
    20220301_203913.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 254
Don't take the Tesla Model Y to Tesla Service with the punctured tire. Try Discount Tires/America's Tires, Goodyear tires, Costco (call ahead to see if they service Tesla vehicles) or a local tire center. There are also some mobile tire service vans that could come to your home or office and repair the puncture.

Plug or else patch from the inside. If the tire has the foam insert sound control treatment the foam must be cut away before applying the patch, then the foam piece can be glued down into place. Not all tire repair shops will deal with a tire that has a foam insert.

Don't pull out the screw, wait for the repair person. Keep adding air to the tire as needed so you can drive short distance or to the tire center.

thanks everyone. I have the option of getting it fixed at the service center or having roadside assistance come to my home. price is the same. any pros /cons going with either? other than travel and wait times. tyvm

I had a string of bad luck and had 2 punctures in the same tire about 6 months apart. Patched it from the outside both times without an issue. It was 6 months later that I had 4 nails in the same tire and had to replace the tire 😩 A local garage did the first 2 repairs without jacking the car or removing the wheel. Tesla roadside service replaced the tire in my driveway (good experience).

Reactions: davidlee
thanks everyone. I have the option of getting it fixed at the service center or having roadside assistance come to my home. price is the same. any pros /cons going with either? other than travel and wait times. tyvm
No brainer - RA to the home. My at home experience was positive - the tech completed my repair, answered all my questions and even performed additional services/checks. Tech was punctual, professional and knowledgeable. Are you willing to share the quoted price?

Reactions: SWIPE and davidlee
Costco was great with my Y. They are familiar with the cars and were able to repair a tire with a bolt puncture in a similar location to yours. I would avoid Tesla SC for this kind of thing.

I've heard good things about Discount Tire as well, we just don't have one close.

I had my tires rotated at Firestone last week. They found this nail, but wouldn't repair it because of the foam. Immediately made an appointment with my local SC. Estimate was $84. I was in and out in 45 minutes today. I was charged $75.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 178
Discount Tires plugs tires FOR FREE, for me at least...and I didn't buy the tires there...

Avoid the Tesla SC for this. Overpriced, and better off repaired at a dedicated tire shop.
Yes, Discount Tire/Americas Tire will patch a tire for free, regardless of where you bought them. I’ve done this a few times on other cars. No charge just a “please consider us next time you need tires”.

I had Tesla road assistance repair the tire. when he jacked up the rear side of the model Y with a floor jack, he didnt use a puck. is that normal?
Yes, Tesla Service/Mobile Service does not use the jack puck when raising the Tesla vehicle. You may want to use one jack puck when raising the Tesla vehicle using a floor jack. The puck makes it easier to locate the proper lift point.

My local Costco told me they cannot patch Tesla tires. I just called Tesla SC and was told they don't patch tires now due to tons of backlog services, but they refused to provide any recommended places to patch it, just told me any 3rd party can do it. Any recommended places near Sunnyvale CA?

My local Costco told me they cannot patch Tesla tires. I just called Tesla SC and was told they don't patch tires now due to tons of backlog services, but they refused to provide any recommended places to patch it, just told me any 3rd party can do it. Any recommended places near Sunnyvale CA?
I would buy a kit and patch it yourself.

America's Tires (aka Discount Tires)
32 W El Camino Real, Mountain View