TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nail in tyre - aaargh!

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by BriamM3, Nov 21, 2019.

1. BriamM3

BriamM3 Member

So one week into ownership & I have a slow puncture from a nail in my tyre from a nail. Tyre is the 20 inch on the Model 3 performance.

Normally I wouldn’t think twice about having it plugged (it’s in centre of the tyre), but the internet has conflicting reports about whether there is the noise insulating foam in the 20 inch.

I’ll take it to my local tyre guy in the morning to look at, but any experience or views with something like this would be welcome.

2. m3nc250

m3nc250 Member

Assuming your tire guy will do a professional repair, there is no issue with the foam. The concern with the foam is that it may block liquid (such as slime) tire repair methods. Profession repair = plugs.

• Like x 1
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I've had two this week!

• Like x 1
  4. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Ha. I had one about 2 months into ownership but it was close enough to the sidewalk it was too dangerous to fix.

if your shop says no, go find another. When checking around the first two said they would not repair Tesla tires due to the foam. But there is no reason for that. A competent shop can simply cut out a ~3” square out of the foam, grind out the adhesive, and put in a patch (no plugs).

Since my puncture was on the sidewall, I ended up buying a used tire off EBay that was repaired and have had no issues in about 1k miles.

5. BriamM3

BriamM3 Member

Is there definitely foam in the 20 inch tyres?

6. navt

navt Member

Yes. More specifically, acoustic liner.

7. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

My fourth punture today. I was coming back over the hills from Bala and turned off nav and the TPMS display came back on - noticed Rt front down 4psi compared to the rest and watched it dropping 1psi every 5-10 mins. It got me home 5psi later and is booked for monday at local garage..

8. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Fingers crossed, the sensitive TPMS may turn a few punctures into an inconvenience rather than a disaster. Hopefully many will be noticed in time to limp back home or to a repair shop. Shame that TPMS doesn't register things before moving off, but having changed to seasonal tyres, a puncture will still be picked up PDQ. Having a season set of wheels gives an emergency spare at home.

9. BriamM3

BriamM3 Member

Glad to say all sorted this morning. Amazing how many tyre places wouldn't fix or didn't know what to do, insisting I needed a new tyre...

Tyre off, foam patch cut out, patch put on where nail was removed from & foam section glued back in & everything back to normal now!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1