Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Name that Mystery car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this looked amazingly like the Model S - can anyone name this Mystery car..... and the $1 prize goes to ......

attachment.php?attachmentid=192&stc=1&d=1238792889.jpg

Attachments

• Mystery Car.jpg
    Mystery Car.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 234
Yes, the S has a very smooth shape. When I was comparing it to the M3 it made the M3 look too chiseled and unfriendly to the wind. Looking at the M3 by itself I didn't think that, but comparing it to the S it becomes really apparent that the S is just a cleaner design all around.

The proof will be in the pudding. The Roadster ended up looking very much like the initial reveal, so I have high hopes for the S. That said, the trend does seem to be headed toward bold body creases. :shrug:

I'm starting to realize that what appeals to me most about the S is the lack of those creases. Couldn't put my finger on it until this thread.

In one of the interviews, Franz says something like "there will be some changes, but this really is Model S"... I took this to mean that they are happy with the styling and plan to keep the production version very close to what we see now.

Only thing I need is roof racks and a trailer hitch, and I'm set.

Seriously - that's one of the reasons that this is "too much car" for me. My next car will likely replace the Rav4EV - and to do that it needs to carry kayaks, cargo boxes, bicycles, etc. I do all that on and behind my Prius and my Rav. This thing is drop-dead sexy... but not quite the utility that I need - unless I drill big holes in it. Not sure if I'm prepared to do that. (Even though I did it to my Rav when it was worth WAY more than the Model S will be selling for).

Easy change? Not exactly.
Chassis structure of a convertible is completely different from a "roofed" sedan. Roof is a loadbearing member and it gives structural integrity to the car. Designing a convertible from a sedan means, the bottom of the car has to be much much stronger i.e. heavier.

Try chopping off the roof from an old sedan and go on a highway with it. It is bound to be **very** interesting. :biggrin: