Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Name That Part!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GregRF

Squirrel Power
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2014
CA
The robotic assembly video posted yesterday showed an interesting shot of the front of the car in general assembly. Interesting that there is no bumper attached at this stage but shows a good view of some of the parts under the hood.
Model3Front.png

I've identified a few of the stand out components by letters. Lets hear your thoughts on what they are.
Model3Front_notes.png

Here are my guesses:

A. AC compressor (High voltage connection)
B. HVAC air Intake
C. Windshield wiper fluid reservoir
D. Brake master cylinder
E. Coolant heat exchanger/evaporator?
F. Coolant reservoir
G. Front Radar?
H. Air bag collision sensor?
I. Louvers to radiator/condenser
J.Metal front spoiler (part of battery protection?)

Reactions: Tam and EchoDelta
A 12 volt battery positive
B HVAC intake
C Brake fluid cap/reservoir (transparent for fluid level)
D Washer fluid fill spout (only the cap protrudes above the facia)
E Replacable AC desiccant/drier bag ?
F Battery coolant reservoir
G Forward radar
H Electronic frunk latch
I Temp/Speed sensitive battery cooling louvres
J Lower bumper cover support/attachment plate

Reactions: arnis
B HVAC intake
G Forward radar
H Electronic frunk latch

Good call on A being the battery. Looking at the high voltage docs it looks like the compressor I guessed is down lower and that does look more red (12V) than orange (HV).

I think you are right on C and D, looks like I had those backwards.

Electronic frunk hatch sounds like a good call as well for H.

J seems a bit odd to me. Should definitely support the lower fascia, but I don't recall seeing a structure like this on any other car.

Good call on A being the battery. Looking at the high voltage docs it looks like the compressor I guessed is down lower and that does look more red (12V) than orange (HV).

I think you are right on C and D, looks like I had those backwards.

Electronic frunk hatch sounds like a good call as well for H.

J seems a bit odd to me. Should definitely support the lower fascia, but I don't recall seeing a structure like this on any other car.

E was a crap shoot as well. As far as J I just looked at some pictures now and J appears to be the same physical form as the lower front fascia lip. It must support that but possibly more? There is usually a black dam/rubstrip under the painted portion of most cars (the part that scrapes the steep ramps/driveways).

EDIT: Looks like the lower aero plate may attach across that lower front metal plate as well:

3AC24A9F-5B8E-4308-839C-C16EB436D6B2.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as J I just looked at some pictures now and J appears to be the same physical form as the lower front fascia lip. It must support that but possibly more? There is usually a black dam/rubstrip under the painted portion of most cars (the part that scrapes the steep ramps/driveways).

EDIT: Looks like the lower aero plate may attach across that lower front metal plate as well:

It looks like the S has the same type of structure but gets covered in more plastic?
upload_2017-11-2_14-48-7.jpeg

From this thread.

B HVAC intake
G Forward radar
H Electronic frunk latch

Agree, except:
E: AC gas/coolant loop heat exchanger
Tesla calls it "Chiller".
http://i.imgur.com/TOUXlWM.jpg
F is coolant expansion tank. There is no battery specific loop. There can be more than one loop with single expansion tank.
I - louvres for heat exchange - including glycol radiator and AC condenser.

PS: Model 3 might have totally different AC loop. Not even entering HVAC box.
New modern design for AC system is to have secondary glycol loop cooled by heat exchanger.
"modern" means "solves-problem-with-start-stop-vehicles-not-blowing-cold-air-when-compressor-stops".
Tesla Model 3 could get away with ONE heat exchanger inside HVAC box (as it has PTC air heater there as well). That would be awesome. And more reliable. And cheaper. And more versatile if needed (drivetrain heat to cabin, something S/X can't do).

Last edited:
Reactions: 03DSG
Agree, except:
E: AC gas/coolant loop heat exchanger
Tesla calls it "Chiller".
http://i.imgur.com/TOUXlWM.jpg
F is coolant expansion tank. There is no battery specific loop. There can be more than one loop with single expansion tank.
I - louvres for heat exchange - including glycol radiator and AC condenser.

PS: Model 3 might have totally different AC loop. Not even entering HVAC box.
New modern design for AC system is to have secondary glycol loop cooled by heat exchanger.
"modern" means "solves-problem-with-start-stop-vehicles-not-blowing-cold-air-when-compressor-stops".
Tesla Model 3 could get away with ONE heat exchanger inside HVAC box (as it has PTC air heater there as well). That would be awesome. And more reliable. And cheaper. And more versatile if needed (drivetrain heat to cabin, something S/X can't do).

Cool. Agree. Think we nailed it.

Last edited: