TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Name That Sound!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by scaesare, Jan 16, 2015.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

#1 scaesare, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I contacted my service center a bit ago regarding some mechanical nose that sounded to me like either a pump or perhaps a fan.
    It happens semi regularly, but not always. Typically when first driving out in the morning.

They asked me to see if I could trigger it by putting the car in defrost mode. I tried that and I couldn't force the noise to occur. It's happened 2-3 times in the last week, and this morning it happened at a stop light so I was able to capture a few seconds of the noise on video(I wasn't able to jump out and see if it was louder outside the car.):

(Apologies for the vertical orientation... I was trying to grab this quickly at a stop light)

You may have to turn it up a bit to hear the noise. The phone's mic added some slight echo, which isn't actually there, but you can definitely hear a rhythmic mechanical sound that's new after about 20 months of ownership. It's not super-loud, but louder than anything I heard earlier under similar conditions (temperature, driving conditions, etc...). It sounds like it's located in the front drivers-side of the car somewhere.

Please note the video was taken with the HVAC system OFF to eliminate fan noise as a source. Turning the HVAC system back on has no effect. Sounds like a pump to me If I had to guess.

2. pxy

pxy Member

Instrument cluster cooling fan is my guess.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Is there one for the dash? I know there is for the center console, but didn't think I saw any on the dash teardown pics I saw...

4. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

#4 PV4EV, Jan 16, 2015
    That sound distinctly reminds me of the Star Ship Enterprise background sfx / helm noises ..

.. similar to this continuous 12 hr clip (!) :-

5. JPP

JPP Active Member

#5 JPP, Jan 17, 2015
    I had the same problem with a failing instrument panel cooling fan a few months ago. My sound was about the same and intermittent. I could occasionally make it go away by applying the universal engineering fix (...slapping the top of the dash with the palm of my hand). SC replaced the whole unit--all good now.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Good to know JPP, thanks. I'll try implementing the precision temporary fix you outlined :)

If that works, I'll raise it with my service center...