Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Name your favourite Non-Tesla DC Fast Charging location in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
The RFID tags have always worked for me (when the $%^& chargers themselves work, that is). Not that it needs a RFID (yet) but my fave non-Tesla location is NRMA The Farm (Byron Bay) which, thank all the gods, actually has two stalls, is just off the freeway, and I can get a decent breakfast and coffee. But last time through, one stall was down.

Maybe that could be a new thread! Name your favourite non-Tesla DCFCs!

Mine are Chargefox Karuah and Evie Taree.

Reactions: aegidius
Caiguna Roadhouse on the Eyre Highway, halfway between Adelaide and Perth.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mine is NRMA Broken Hill. I haven't been there yet, but it makes me happy knowing it exists for future adventures

I am tempted to do a road trip to Tibooburra (possibly not all the way to Camerons Corner) but having to rely on widely spaced single-stall sites, and with Nyngan not open yet, would make me a little nervous 😬 but clearly others have done it based on the check-ins at Broken Hill!

Reactions: scully
For now I'll say NRMA Lithgow.

Few reasons.
1. It's a double stall, close to good food and facilities at the Workers Club
2. It's had good uptime
3. It's in an otherwise pretty desolate EV charging area

Hopefully though someone comes up with something that can compete with Tesla Superchargers at Berry and Jerry's Plains

• Funny
Reactions: moa999 and scully
Another one I've used a lot is Evie Noosa Civic (Project Avenue) just because it's convenient and sometimes saves me a detour to Maroochydore Supercharger. There's only one stall but I've been lucky not to have to queue up. Now there's another DCFC at Noosa Blue Resort run by Smart Charge (I think it replaced an old CCS1 unit) I've downloaded their app but not been there yet. So Noosa which was once a charger-free zone now has some options.

Reactions: Vostok

I looked at the map to see where this is and thought… is this a joke? Then looked at the photos on Plugshare and thought - WTH? The most recent failed check-in is not exactly flattering!

I get the sentiment behind installing it there, but DCFCs are expensive beasts, and I struggle to see how this ticks either the ”convenience” or “amenity” boxes that make it a good investment.

Definitely Evie @ Campbell Town:

GrAAdPQ.jpg

Firstly, the town itself. It's the only one on the Midland Highway that hasn't been bypassed. As a result, Campbell Town is where *everyone* stops between Hobart and Launceston/Devonport, because here in Tassie, people think 200-300 km is a massive drive and you need a rest halfway ;)

It has everything you'd expect of a highway service centre - multiple food/drink outlets, park, toilets, etc. except it's in a nice little historic town, and the council maintains everything as such.

It's such an ideal location that back in 2015 when the AEVA Tasmanian branch was formed, we campaigned for fast charging, with the centrepiece going to be a single a 50 kW fast charger situated in Campbell Town! (We even had a quick and dirty photo mock-up of how it would look!)

So a few years later, when Evie Networks announced that Campbell Town was one of their three sites at which they were going to install 2x 350 kW units, we were thrilled! Even moreso when we found they were planning to install it in the exact car park that we had proposed a few years earlier!

Not only were significant power upgrades required, but the council had some heritage issues with the proposed pole-mounted transformer, so they had to run everything underground. All up it cost them close to $1m to build the site. Even the funding/incentives they received to assist made only a tiny dent in this. They received benefits from TasNetworks (fast charger support scheme), ARENA (as part of their national 350 kW rollout) and the state Government (Round 1 of their ChargeSmart grants).

It was launched in mid-2020, with lots of AEVA members rocking up to support it - Evie EV charging networks

But it was worth it - they have what is probably the prime location across the state (even including the cities), with the design and pre-approval ready to expand to 6 stalls when ready. Less than a year after opening, Evie stated that Campbell Town was their highest activity site nationally (possibly influenced by us having relaxed Covid travel restrictions within the state, and the lack of supercharger alternatives for Tesla owners - but a great spot nonetheless!)

I've used it several times in many different cars (Ioniq, Aus Leaf 40kWh, Jap Leaf 62 kWh, Model 3 - though not my own Model 3, yet!) and never had an issue. Perhaps the Tritium fairies spend a lot of time at this site keeping it in order!

In addition, although we have over a dozen, soon to be many dozens of fast chargers, this single site would be enough to allow a 350km range EV to access almost anywhere in the state, from Cockle Creek to Smithton. A very useful location!