Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Naming FM radio stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever been able to name the radio stations they put in favorites? I have not been able, but on a TM video, they had names when they showed a close-up of the screen. I would love to actually have station names rather than frequencies. As well, any news on the possibility of more than one bar of saved stations (I would like to have one for different genres, or cities), and the ability to receive/display metadata with FM radio?

The names seem to come from the metadata broadcast by HD radio stations, so if you don't have any HD stations in your favorites then I don't think there's any way to get the names.

With the HD stations here in the Seattle area, you get song/artist/album information and album art with the music. With non-HD stations you get nothing except the station frequency.

You can add more than 6 stations to your favorites and retrieve them using the heart button, but there is only one bar of buttons for quick access. It stores a different set for each band, though (FM, AM, and XM).

I noticed I got some info on the radio when we went down to Seattle a couple weeks ago, but I don't get any up here. It's not because the stations here aren't transmitting metadata, because my wife's car displays the station and song information. It bothers her too that my car - the innovative and much more expensive tech car - just shows the frequency. I realize it's not a huge thing but it is a frequently noticed missing feature that most cars, even budget ones, provide these days.

I noticed I got some info on the radio when we went down to Seattle a couple weeks ago, but I don't get any up here. It's not because the stations here aren't transmitting metadata, because my wife's car displays the station and song information. It bothers her too that my car - the innovative and much more expensive tech car - just shows the frequency. I realize it's not a huge thing but it is a frequently noticed missing feature that most cars, even budget ones, provide these days.

Do you have HD turned on in the FM radio section?

It's not because the stations here aren't transmitting metadata, because my wife's car displays the station and song information.

It's possible they're not HD stations but they are broadcasting RDS data or the non-US equivalent. RDS is used in the U.S. but I think Europe and possibly Canada use a different system. In any case, the Tesla radio only seems to get metadata from HD stations, and not the older RDS (or equivalent?) metadata system. That's true here in Seattle too.

The Tesla tuner ignores the RDS data of the non-HD or HD radio stations. So there is no information of the station type (e.g. Rock, Jazz) or the station letters or possibly a scroll of the song/artist for the non-HD radio stations.

Generally speaking the Tesla tuner is quite lame. Most cars have 12 FM presets and 18 XM radio presets. Most cars use the buttons on the steering wheel to scroll through presets - not search for the next station number.

However we do have an animation of a 1950's car radio tuner(??).

I have HD on, tried it off with no change. Overall I would think the ability to label stations should be easy to implement. More than one bar of stations and use of widespread metadata is almost a basic radio function in this age. Little things that are noticed every time I drive.

Last edited:
I have HD on, tried it off with no change. Overall I would think the ability to label stations should be easy to implement. More than one bar of stations and use of widespread metadata is almost a basic radio function in this age. Little things that are noticed every time I drive.

Agreed about the metadata. As for the number of presets, suspect that the favorites section was supposed to handle the majority of these instead of the presets bar - I know I'm always looking in the favorites menu for my audio options rather than pressing presets, and this would allow for essentially unlimited "presets".