Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nappa leather and environmentalism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread makes me want to go eat a steak even though I'm a vegetarian (who also eats seafood a few times a week). ;)

the Salmon are biting now!!!!

Tuna were pretty close last week
mmmmm
had smoked salmon from someone on the paving crew this morning
excellent!!

yummy

how about some stingray leather?
make a super badass sig S
anyone?
I've got some my wife was saving for a pair of shoes (or underwear)

So does anybody know? Can something based on synthetic fibers have less of an environmental impact than a natural material? I.e., what is the best alternative from an environmental standpoint for the interior in the Model S (Assuming there is leather from animals available for the interior, and you aren’t going to rule out leather based on your morals)?

Standard Textile, Nappa Leather or Nappa Leather with Alcantara Accents?

They can indeed! I've worked with a company (there are several doing this) who makes clothing out of recycled water bottles. 12 water bottles for instance, can make a full coat. They have even created synthetics out of this same material to feel like cotton, wool, even fully made parkas, from the insulation inside, to the covering material on the outside. Making durable material to hold up over 15 to 20 years as a car seat is another thing tough.

The environmentalists need to get over the leather thing. We need to kill more cows. Leather is made from cows. Cows expel methane gas. Methane gas is bad for the ozone layer.

They need to focus on stopping their indulgance of lettuce. Lettuce is a known converter of CO2 to O2 which is good for the ozone layer. STOP eating lettuce!
(I should have been a lawyer .... :tongue:)

PLEASE NOTE: NO COWS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST.

Last edited:
Good eatin' them Alcantras...taste like chicken! :wink::biggrin:

Also - I assume people know that Alcantara is basically polyester (and not an exotic South American mammal:smile:).

In any case, I'll bet the analysis depends on whether you include the environmental cost of raising the cow or just assume that the skin is a byproduct of other cow production. Cows are basically an environmental disaster.

Last edited:
The environmentalists need to get over the leather thing. We need to kill more cows. Leather is made from cows. Cows expel methane gas. Methane gas is bad for the ozone layer.

They need to focus on stopping their indulgance of lettuce. Lettuce is a known converter of CO2 to O2 which is good for the ozone layer. STOP eating lettuce!
(I should have been a lawyer .... :tongue:)

PLEASE NOTE: NO COWS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST.

You do realize that cows are bred specifically for human consumption and/or leather? I understand you are joking but these are some crass statements!

You do realize that cows are bred specifically for human consumption and/or leather? I understand you are joking but these are some crass statements!

Yes....I plead guilty. Sorry everyone....just saw an opportunity to crack a harsh joke and took it. I am just pleased that I won't be leaving fumes in the air as I drive down the road. I'll probably get a huge thumbs up from joggers as I pass them by. Sorry to the cows too....grin.

Short of living in a tree house in the forest, every aspect of modern life is a drain and/or harmful on/to the environment..

Spot on!

Which is worse, manufacturing synthetic materials from oil, or?

The real solution (not yet proven for long term automotive use - or the infrastructure in place to process them) is the recycling of PET (plastic water bottles). 10's of billions of them thrown away every year. But baby steps first. I'll take the electric motor as step one.

Until then, even genuine virgin naugahyde is no substitution for leather - not on a high-end luxury car IMO.

I don't think the point is to have no environmental impact, its to reduce your impact when you have choices. (transportation choice we've got our choice -- could bike/bus/rail and do better, food choice is probably coming up second in impact -- and the efficiency/impact of different choices there is gigantic, not just from a co2 perspective, but from how much food can be produced with X acres of land to be able to even feed the growing population of the planet..).

What we don't know is the overall environmental impact of the model s's production (battery production, parts & shipping from Panasonic/Daimler/Toyota/Aluminum/etc, and personal delivery model, etc). I doubt we'll ever know since other manufactures don't tell theirs, and anything tesla says would get skewed against them (unless its super crazy good, and we'll still get people claiming there are 4000lbs of rare earths in the thing :smile:)

I do hope we someday get options like Fisker has to *upgrade* to a higher quality non-leather more eco interior. (they even got points from reviewers/Top Gear for doing something new in luxury)

Leather a must?

Hi all,

I've been following Tesla for quite some time now and altough I am far from being able to afford one, I own some stock. What I was wondering (and I can't recall having read about it) is the "issue" about leather. I am not a militant vegetarian but keep myself conscious of the stuff I buy. Mainly trying to avoid everything containing animal products as much as possible. Now Tesla is a forward looking company, promoting the use of clean energy towards a better future and I applaud them for that. Wrapping animals around stuff doesn't quite fit here.

What do you think? Is it still a must for a premium vehicle? Would fake leather be an option for some of you?

Cheers!

Andy

Welcome!

Tesla does offer a non-leather seating option. Most people seem to expect or demand leather in a car this expensive so making it available was smart. Fake leather if the quality was good would be a great option.

It's a pity that the microfiber seating isn't available with the seat memory and 12-way adjustment capabilities. My wife would strongly prefer fabric, but not at the expense of the features bundled with the leather seating.

On a slightly different note, it would be nice if Tesla would secure leather from sources with responsible tanning and dying practices. Leather tanning frequently has atrocious environmental impacts in developing countries.

I think everyone gets my point. The planet is screwed. Just a matter of time. At least I will have owned a Model S before checking out.

Amen. To a considerable degree, I'm happy to be the age I am, as I will be gone before things begin to totally go to hell. As you imply, on the current course the planet and the human race are on, it's not a question of if, just when.