TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NAS: By 2050, it’s possible to cut car petroleum use by 80 percent

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Doug_G, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

NAS: By 2050, its possible to cut car petroleum use by 80 percent | Ars Technica

:confused: Already well past that point!!!

I'd say, "not ignored enough".

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

• assuming hydrogen in generated from renewable energy
    • complete absence of existing infrastructure
    • lack of a clear route to hydrogen production
    • report gives them a strong endorsement
    • at least as promising as battery electric (which already exist and have none of these disadvantages)

"We believe in fairly tales but reality we distrust"?

I just don't get it.

3. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

I have to agree with brianman. I had been waiting for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle until I discovered the S in October (I know, I'm late to the party). But at that point I had to make the H fuel cell vs battery decision. For me, the longer time frame to market for fuel cells, the desire to use my solar panels NOW and, most importantly from a sustainability stand point, the hydrogen fuel delivery model requires one extra energy-requiring step -- split the water -- that makes it a significantly greater user of net energy. That last point made my decision to go electric once a viable car (the S) was available.