Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAS: By 2050, it’s possible to cut car petroleum use by 80 percent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
NAS: By 2050, its possible to cut car petroleum use by 80 percent | Ars Technica

Vehicles with batteries are already playing a significant role in transportation, and the report expects hybrid vehicles to only become more common. Battery-only vehicles are expected to increase in range thanks to advances in lithium-ion and lithium air technologies, and these will reach the point where a single charge might cover 100 miles of driving—easily covering most commutes. These will clearly help drop petroleum consumption, but their impact on emissions will depend on further growth of renewable electricity and/or the development of efficient carbon capture and storage.

:confused: Already well past that point!!!

The one technology that the group felt has been unfairly ignored is fuel cell vehicles. These have the advantages of using well-established technology and handling both emissions and petroleum use (assuming the hydrogen is generated from renewable energy). Additionally, fuel-cell vehicles are as convenient to refuel as current vehicles. The downsides are large, however, including a complete absence of existing infrastructure and a lack of a clear route to hydrogen production. Nevertheless, the report gives them a strong endorsement: "The committee believes that hydrogen/fuel cells are at least as promising as battery electric vehicles in the long-term and should be funded accordingly."

I'd say, "not ignored enough".

• assuming hydrogen in generated from renewable energy
  • complete absence of existing infrastructure
  • lack of a clear route to hydrogen production
  • report gives them a strong endorsement
  • at least as promising as battery electric (which already exist and have none of these disadvantages)

"We believe in fairly tales but reality we distrust"?

I just don't get it.

I have to agree with brianman. I had been waiting for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle until I discovered the S in October (I know, I'm late to the party). But at that point I had to make the H fuel cell vs battery decision. For me, the longer time frame to market for fuel cells, the desire to use my solar panels NOW and, most importantly from a sustainability stand point, the hydrogen fuel delivery model requires one extra energy-requiring step -- split the water -- that makes it a significantly greater user of net energy. That last point made my decision to go electric once a viable car (the S) was available.