Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nasa Ames has 8 public Chargepoint DCFC's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
I was looking through the Bolt Forum (yes, I showered afterward :p) and saw that Nasa Ames recently opened up an 8 stall DCFC area in a parking lot:

nasaames_zps7iy7xtjh.jpg

Kind of an interesting layout, with each DCFC having two spaces, sitting opposite each other. I'm assuming that each of the 8 only supports use of either the Chademo or CCS connector at a time. By having two spaces reserved for each charger, they end up "wasting" the 8 other spaces that cannot be used simultaneously. Maybe the stations can do an automatic switch over when done charging one car?

If anyone has been there let us know how that works. I got this photo off of Plugshare, so maybe they have that info posted there somewhere.

I see our forum buddy @miimura has been there. Can you answer the above questions?

RT

I was looking through the Bolt Forum (yes, I showered afterward :p) and saw that Nasa Ames recently opened up an 8 stall DCFC area in a parking lot:

Kind of an interesting layout, with each DCFC having two spaces, sitting opposite each other. I'm assuming that each of the 8 only supports use of either the Chademo or CCS connector at a time. By having two spaces reserved for each charger, they end up "wasting" the 8 other spaces that cannot be used simultaneously. Maybe the stations can do an automatic switch over when done charging one car?

If anyone has been there let us know how that works. I got this photo off of Plugshare, so maybe they have that info posted there somewhere.

I see our forum buddy @miimura has been there. Can you answer the above questions?

RT
I already posted about this site in this forum. The existing thread is here: 8 Stall ChargePoint CHAdeMO + CCS site online in Mountain View

The Plugshare pictures with the blue RAV4 EV and the Limestone Gray e-Golf are mine. The site is not that great because there are no services around. It does have very easy freeway access though. The Mountain View Supercharger site is one exit north on 101 and the second exit north has a wide variety of fast food available. I would use the restrooms and get food, then come here to charge and eat in the car. If you have a Tesla and there is a wait at the Supercharger, you are certain to get a charge here without waiting and can be on your way much sooner.

As for the arrangement, I think it's nice that you should always be able to find a spot within reach of an available charger. Of course, depending on where your charge port is and which way the station is facing, the cable may only reach in one particular combination of which side you park on and whether you go head in or back in. In any case, with so many chargers in one place and with $0.25/minute pricing, you are certain to find one available and won't have to worry about what happens to the other connector while someone is using the station.