TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nashville Downtown Supercharger

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Zcar, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Zcar

Zcar Member

Not sure if someone started a thread on this, but found a permit for 12 Tesla stalls that was issued on 6/19/18 to be installed at 1033 Demonbreum St. For those who are curious, I've attached a detailed description of the site plan. I briefly perused the info and saw "Gen. 1 superchargers" mentioned somewhere so I suspect it will be traditional chargers. I work fairly close to this area so can check on it periodically.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  2. pkodali

pkodali Member

• Like x 1
  3. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

The diagram on page 12 shows an Urban style Supercharger.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Awesome! We have level 2 chargers in the Bridgestone Tower, but having the Supercharger downtown would be sweet (and more convenient for those passing through Nashville).

• Like x 1
  5. Ticobird

Ticobird Member

Is anyone familiar with the cost to park in this garage?

6. Red5StandingBy

Some of these parking decks in that area allow for one hour free, but I need to check. Will report back next week unless somebody else already knows.

7. JPWhite

JPWhite Member

The google street view shows that its permit parking only. I imagine Tesla will do a deal to allow Tesla vehicles to charge without a permit. Certainly a prime location.

• Like x 1
  8. Red5StandingBy

Someone on the Tesla TN group on Facebook said it’s a one hour free parking garage. Will try to get more details at some point soon.

9. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

#9 Hey_Hey, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    This is in the Gulch Crossing building. The parking garage allows any visitor to park for free for one hour. This should be a super convenient spot and I bet will be very popular. It will be similar in many regards to the Atlantic Station supercharger in Atlanta. There's probably more shopping in Atlantic Station, but there should be more dining options at the Gulch location. Plus, the typical 30 minute wait to get your picture with the What Lifts You mural should work out perfectly to get 150 miles of range. The green line of the Music City circuit runs directly adjacent to this as well and provides free bus travel into Sobro and the Central Business District. I would love to see them put a couple HPWCs in as well. I would definitely use them while spending a couple hours eating.

Lastly, there is a proposed pedestrian bridge that will cross the railroad tracks near here and provide easy access to the area around the KVB roundabout. That is still probably two years away though.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Well, if it is an Urban Supercharger then an hour might not get the job done.

11. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago - Garland to be exact. The two nearest Superchargers were urban (Richardson and Plano). My hotel did not have a charger at all (bad choice). Spending an hour at an urban charger (especially one where nothing was open) was a real pain to prepare for the next day driving around.

12. Ticobird

Ticobird Member

We should stipulate that one hour of charging will easily add 150 miles to our batteries - at least the bottom half of our batteries.

IMO, If you need to drive more than 150 local miles in a day and without overnight Level 2 charging then any EV may not be a good choice.

13. Jim T

Jim T Member

Was awaiting, or at least hoping for, an SC north of Nashville, convenient to both I-65 and I-24 and not that far from I-40... Downtown location probably not that convenient for those traveling thu on the Interstates, even though it is near to the Interstate loop around downtown. Too much traffic most of the time. For me , it would have replaced stopping at the SC in Bowling Green, KY that is too far from I-65 to be a 'convenient' stop. But the 'next' SC is in Louisville, or Lexington (depending on route), both a good ways further on... A future SC is on the Tesla map for Elizabethtown KY.

14. Jim T

Jim T Member

What are the hours for the parking area below the Gulf Crossing building, i.e. is it open 24 hours. And, perhaps more importantly, would it be a safe place to be late at night? (Even though we are in Murfreesboro, between the 'crime' and the 'traffic', we stay the hell out of Nashville, except to travel through.)

15. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I am looking forward to the Elizabethtown SC as well. Both Bowling Green and Louisville are inconvenient for I-65 traffic. Welcome, certainly, but inconvenient. Also Bowling Green is too close to Nashville (for locals departing from Nashville) and Lousville just a little bit of a stretch from my suburb (have to make sure to range charge before departure).

16. Jim T

Jim T Member

My route is typically I-71 toward 'Cincy' , So Louisville is conveniently near 'inner' by-pass, but haven't tried it, using Bowling Green and Cincinnati instead. However, Granddaughter starting Univ. of Louisville in fall will make it very useful going forward. Will Also need 'near' full charge, or stop at Bowling Green or 'Gulch'.

17. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

Hours - I suspect it will be available 24 hours.

Crime - I suspect that Murfreesboro has more crime than the Gulch. I’m.l not joking. This area is incredibly safe and active.

Traffic - From the interstate, you will be plugged in and charging within two minutes 90% of the time. There is one light for people getting off of 40 West.

18. Jim T

Jim T Member

#18 Jim T, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Thanks for the info... Glad to hear its 'safe'... True, there's some crime everywhere; Murfreesboro's crime luckily not in my 'area' either... If I was going I-40 West, I would take I-840 by-pass and charge at Dickson, thus avoiding downtown traffic. Although, last stop at Dickson I had a problem with inexplicable slow charging rates.... BTW, my 'excitement' is now centered on the opening (finally, after an interminable wait) of the Manchester SC. You might be also interested and find it useful in your travels. Cheers! Keep enjoying your Tesla, as I will mine.

19. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Anyone know if this construction might be related to the Supercharger? Not the greatest pic, but I was stopped at 10th and Demonbreun headed west to get on I-40 east.

Attached Files:

20. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

No, that’s the JW Marriott that is finishing up construction. The supercharger is located in the parking garage of the Gulch Crossings building which is west of the JW Marriott site by a couple blocks.

• Informative x 1