TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nashville Downtown Supercharger

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Zcar, Jun 21, 2018.

1. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I see now, exit I-40 onto Demonbreun, head uptown just a few blocks, over 11th Ave, turn right into Gulch Crossing, only a block from Flying Saucer!

2. Red5StandingBy

I drove through the garage yesterday down to Level 1 (P1), and there was no sign of construction or makers as of yet. Just empty parking spots.

3. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

I agree wholeheartedly about Manchester. The Chattanooga SC is my least favorite by a long shot, and having Manchester open will allow Nashville to Atlanta travel without having to stop at Chattanooga. The Dickson SC has been notoriously unreliable, and the Gulch SC should allow most people to skip Dickson when going east-west on I-40.

4. Zcar

Zcar Member

Looks like the electrical permit was issued on 7/9 so that's something I guess. I also did a drive by like Red5StandingBy (maybe the same day?) and didn't see any action. From the Demonbreum St. entrance it's definitely a trek down to the P1 level. The 11th Ave entrance is a bit quicker once in the garage, but is technically a longer route from the interstate.

• Like x 1
  5. BlackMambaCoil

6. jdeskins

jdeskins Member

I was planning on driving by there on Friday to see if there is any progress. I ordered a Model S recently and it should be ready to deliver within a couple weeks. With me working downtown - this location will be very handy for when I need it.

• Like x 1
  7. Red5StandingBy

I heard the other day that construction could start in about 2-3 weeks.

• Like x 1
  8. BlackMambaCoil

What's your evidence?

9. Zcar

Zcar Member

Drove by this morning and no construction yet...

10. Pekka4Pres

Pekka4Pres New Member

I swung by last night and there was still no construction, but there were a few cones around the corner where they will run the electric from FWIW.

• Like x 1
  11. Pekka4Pres

Pekka4Pres New Member

Went by again and still nothing as of Tuesday unfortunately. I am really hoping this is completed in the next few months. I have a Model 3 on the way with no way to charge currently (quotes for installing charging at my parking garage have run as high as 5k, and even then my condo association wants to charge a flat rate $75/mo. for usage which is more than I pay for gas a month currently)

• Informative x 1
  12. jdeskins

jdeskins Member

Thanks for the update.

I took delivery of my Model S last week. There were some delays in getting my NEMA 14-50 installed. So, in the meantime, I've just been charging using the standard 110 outlet. My total daily commute is about 65 miles per day and I'm charging about 4mi/hour at home and have the same amount of charge available where I work. That will hold me until I get the 14-50 completed.

The Nashville supercharger will be handy by my work for when I need faster charge.

13. JPWhite

JPWhite Member

That's enough money to pay for electricity to drive about 30,000 miles/year. Since model 3 owners have to pay to SC, I'd be tempted to charge at the Brentwood SC, and then Nashville when it opens..

• Like x 1
  14. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Consider establishments that offer free charging. If you are a skater and visit the Ford Ice Center, there is a free (ChargePoint) charger there - I work next door at Bridgestone. I'm sure you have heard of it, but PlugShare is worth mentioning as an excellent resource.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Value of $75 depends on amount of driving, efficiency and cost of electricity. At 0.26kWh/mi and 11c/kWh that 2,622 miles per month. But I don't know how your electricity rates are.

I'd suggest asking about their cost assumptions and tariff for electricity use and talk about submetering. They likely have no clue about cost.

16. Ticobird

Ticobird Lovin the Tesla Life

Pekka4Pres, congratulations on your pending Model 3 delivery. I understand your excitement. Depending on how much experience you have had with EV's you may be unnecessarily worrying about the need to charge at your condo and the high cost of doing so. I agree wholeheartedly it would make for a much better EV ownership experience but at the same time I applaud your effort to undertake the switch from ICEV's to EV's. Your experience may not be too adversely impacted with only Supercharger charging. Of course your usual daily driving routine (distance), if you have one, coupled with the distance from your condo to this downtown Nashville Supercharger will ultimately determine how much inconvenience you experience. Your greatest inconvenience will be driving your Model 3 without the availability of this Supercharger. I suspect, I hope you have checked out all of the other possibilities of Level 2 charging in your immediate area. The PlugShare website and app can be useful although the information posted by users is spotty. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You The PlugShare website indicates several public Level 2 charging locations in downtown Nashville. If it makes you feel more in control look into those locations that interest you the most but by all means don't dismiss the Brentwood Supercharger/Service Center or the Dickson Supercharger locations. Personally I would only use Level 2 public charging in an emergency. As I said before your daily driving routine may allow you to easily charge to 90% at either Supercharger location just a couple of times a week. Thinking about this from experience you could realistically spend 3 - 4 hours at either Supercharger per week vs 20 hours or more at Level 2 charging locations. Here is a little friendly advice to remember. As you accumulate time and miles in your Model 3 you will grow more comfortable driving it down to a charge level of 20% or lower as long as you know where and when you will charge it. Take that to heart. I personally resisted understanding the concept because of 50 years of ICEV driving. I had grown way too accustomed to always filling up my vehicles when I reached a quarter tank. Basically the difficulty is that the concept of Supercharging turns (almost reverses) the typical refueling process on its head. In order for the act of fueling to be least intrusive (most convenient) you want to drive deep into your fuel (battery) reserves which is counter to typical ICEV fueling practices. Hopefully with this advice you will shortcut this behavior sooner than I did.

Personally I would not bother with the costly Level 2 Condo electrical installation unless you can get the Condo Association to agree it is in their best interests to look into the costs of installing multiple charging points for the entire complex. While the time has come for vehicle charging to become an issue it is still in the early stages of insinuating itself into most people's everyday consciousness. Until EV's become more commonplace this charging issue will probably not concern enough or your fellow Condo owners to matter. Heck, there are condo's, townhomes, apartments and homes being constructed right this minute without regard to the Level 2 EV charging issue.

I wish you all the best with your Model 3 and look forward to your comments when this Supercharger becomes active.

17. jdeskins

jdeskins Member

I drove through all levels of the garage today and didn't see any indication of construction or any signage of future location. It is a long trek down 5 levels when entering from Demonbreun St, if the plan is to have it at the bottom level.

18. JPWhite

JPWhite Member

Spoke to a Chargepoint installer today at drive electric week meting at statdium. Chargepoint had talked to gulch crossing about charging stations, they were talking about putting stations on the bottom level. Host chose Tesla instead. Hopefully they have been encouraged to put them on a better level.

19. Jim T

Jim T Member

For what it's worth... Checked 'official' Tesla Supercharger map. Nashville Supercharger site is still projected to "complete in Summer 2018". Technically, they still have 3 days to get it done.;)

• Funny x 1
  20. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

Tesla is going to run into major headaches with metro codes and permitting. I have been involved in construction projects recently and the codes department is simply overrun with new construction. There are delays happening that are best measured in months.