TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Nation drive electricweek- Long

Discussion in 'California' started by mikeg561, Aug 10, 2015.

1. mikeg561

mikeg561 Member

May 18, 2015
    huntington beach, ca
    So what is this event all about from the perspective of an attendee?
    The website is a bit lacking on details:

Are there vendors? Many people? Just a few people who already have an EV?

I live close to Long Beach and am home the weekend of September 12th, but is the event worth my time? Can anyone provide more info?

2. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

May 12, 2014
    san gabriel valley
    this was what the thousand oaks one looked like last year:
    national drive electric week | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

not a lot going on, some "ok" food trucks. wife was dead bored about 30 min into it but thankfully my co-worker arrived and that kept her busy for a while. we then checked out the b-class ev, the i3, then went home.
  3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Jul 23, 2013
    #3 AEdennis, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

The Long Beach event is the first NDEW location that the OC Tesla group has decided to support (as a group). Members of of the OC group were actually emailed this particular location as the one for the club earlier today. The organizer had reached out to our group and we've decided to support it. The Long Beach event from two years ago is one of the better run events and I believe at this particular one is also organized by the same folks.

I , as an individual, am also going to Diamond Bar (later that day) and Los Angeles the next day.

NDEW used to be called National Plug In Day and I've been to several.

From 2012

National Plug in Day 2012 The El Segundo event for Los Angeles County. | My ActiveE made me Accidentally Environmental

National Plug in Day 2012… Part 2… The Cypress event for Orange County. | My ActiveE made me Accidentally Environmental

from 2013 in Long Beach

National Plug in Day 2013 Over 200+ EVs in Long Beach | My ActiveE made me Accidentally Environmental

Apparently I didn't write a post on the Huntington Beach event in 2014. It was a lot more chaotic and the organizers were "messed" up by HB parking... They didn't block out the lots for the participating EVs, so no real good "camaraderie" between EV participants and the like... That one looked good for sponsors, but not the fun part of EV advocacy.

[Added on August 11]

From the sign-up page - "At Houghton Park in Long Beach, CA we'll have electric buses, cars, 18 wheelers, bicycles and motorcycles as well as information about all the benefits of electric propulsion."
  4. astrothad

astrothad Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Long Beach, CA
    Oh, excellent! This is within 3 miles of home. I can bring the Smart ED fully charged for giving test rides. Granted, only about 60 miles worth of test rides, unless there are some J1772 stations there.

It's just a shame we won't see a Model X there.