Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National and State Renewable Energy stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting, although Tony Seba’s view that you just need more solar (seemingly not as excited by wind?), if I understood it correctly, doesn’t sit well with what I’ve seen in my stats. The states with the higher renewable diurnal hardness ratio (i.e. renewable percentages at night that are not too much lower than during the day) are the states with more wind power than solar, i.e. SA and VIC. And to me that says you’d need a lot less storage. Storage is more expensive than either solar or wind, so the closer you get to DH of 1.0 the less storage you need. Also the decorrelation between solar and wind generation is great for knocking off statistical extremes.

I’ll have a crack at doing his analysis but using SA’s 15-minute data that I have logged since 2020 and see what it shows. I think SA’s windpower will show it saves a lot of storage need, and that saves money.
SA probably had the best on shore wind of any state. I think he favours solar because it's so incredibly cheap

SA probably had the best on shore wind of any state. I think he favours solar because it's so incredibly cheap

According to Lazard’s LCOE, grid onshore wind is only about 10% more expensive than grid solar (USD $35/GW vs $38/GWh) whereas grid storage is about 7 times that cost. So to me, going hard on wind is just as if not more important than going hard on solar, because it will save a huge amount of storage costs.

It would be interesting if he profiled Australia for his SWB cost curve.

My impression was that solar was still dropping in costs, was potentially more reliable than wind.... Because even on a cloudy day if you have 4x generation capacity, you still only need 25% Vs sunny day.

That’s exactly what I intend to do. I have nearly 2.5 years worth of 15 minute electricity generation data for SA. I can use that to produce SA’s “Clean Energy U Curve” and hence estimate how much more solar and wind capacity (compared to today) would they need to build to have 24/7 SWB supply at minimum cost. And the same for VIC.

Computationally it‘s not difficult to do, but I would need to write a chunk of code to do it. Watch this space (and give me a few weeks 😄)

My impression was that solar was still dropping in costs, was potentially more reliable than wind.... Because even on a cloudy day if you have 4x generation capacity, you still only need 25% Vs sunny day.
Solar does not work at night though, so you need wind or hydro or anything else for that.

Solar does not work at night though, so you need wind or hydro or anything else for that.
That's why you need a 90 hour battery.
So at night, you really only need 12 hours of battery.

The economics don't quite translate to domestic, but let's say you applied it to your house. Total kWh / year divided by 365, let's say 15kwh. Then, solar to produce 60kwh/day (4x) on a sunny day would be about 15kw of panels and then a battery that supply 90 hours = 50kwh (or your EV)
Does it work?

That’s exactly what I intend to do. I have nearly 2.5 years worth of 15 minute electricity generation data for SA. I can use that to produce SA’s “Clean Energy U Curve” and hence estimate how much more solar and wind capacity (compared to today) would they need to build to have 24/7 SWB supply at minimum cost. And the same for VIC.

Computationally it‘s not difficult to do, but I would need to write a chunk of code to do it. Watch this space (and give me a few weeks 😄)
Can't wait to see your results

That's why you need a 90 hour battery.
So at night, you really only need 12 hours of battery.

The economics don't quite translate to domestic, but let's say you applied it to your house. Total kWh / year divided by 365, let's say 15kwh. Then, solar to produce 60kwh/day (4x) on a sunny day would be about 15kw of panels and then a battery that supply 90 hours = 50kwh (or your EV)
Does it work?
I have solar and battery. In WINTER i cannot make sufficient solar to fill my batteries, run the house, and fill the cars. This means I need more solar and more battery as the battery is usually flat by 10pm.
Equally in summer everything is full, house running with aircon and pool heated yet my battery lasts all night and is full by mid morning the next day, so its export all day earning a rubbish 5c per kwh.
The economics of that is I do not need more battery or solar for 9 months of the year, and to triple both for 3 months makes zero economic sense, not to mention lack of roof space. Having a renewable that works at night to fill my battery at night would be the optimum solution, and thats why SA utilises wind generation. Unfortunately there are no sensible residential wind solutions yet. I’m coastal so plenty of renewable wind about.

I have solar and battery. In WINTER i cannot make sufficient solar to fill my batteries, run the house, and fill the cars. This means I need more solar and more battery as the battery is usually flat by 10pm.
Equally in summer everything is full, house running with aircon and pool heated yet my battery lasts all night and is full by mid morning the next day, so its export all day earning a rubbish 5c per kwh.
The economics of that is I do not need more battery or solar for 9 months of the year, and to triple both for 3 months makes zero economic sense, not to mention lack of roof space. Having a renewable that works at night to fill my battery at night would be the optimum solution, and thats why SA utilises wind generation. Unfortunately there are no sensible residential wind solutions yet. I’m coastal so plenty of renewable wind about.
It's not a fight between wind and solar. I think the takeaway from the video is that you need more capacity, like 4x more than current coal based, and the most scalable, and lowest cost is solar, and the upshot of that is that most of the time you have 2x more power than you need ("superpower") and that is basically zero cost power. It's a whole new way of thinking.

I put solar on my yacht 20 years ago. Built my own MPPTs when NASA started pioneering it. Added a wind generator (max 800W) very quickly because solar was not enough for self sufficiency. We would spend up to 6 months away in the Pacific sailing and using minimal diesel. The wind genny was essential. However, these days we can pretty much manage without the wind due to much greater power output from solar. I'm converting from AGMs (dead finally after 11yrs) and putting in triple the usable storage with LFP.
Of course, sailing up near the equator is better for solar than wind. Whereas down in Sydney latitudes, things are a bit more balanced.
Anyway, those were interesting times and a good way to discover renewable energy!
Unfortunately, we did have to cook with gas but we had solar showers for hot water.

The stats for November are in, and this is a milestone moment...

Australia has passed the 40% renewable level for the first time across an entire month!

And not by a little bit but by nearly 2%! Incredible scenes in energy trading rooms across the country… 🤣

This is thanks to VIC and WA both crossing this 40% milestone, and NSW coming quite close. Small scale solar generating 14% of the nation’s electricity is also a new record, as is SA nearly cracking 70% renewable overnight.

This just goes to show how much existing renewable capacity is being curtailed by the presence of fossil generators. When those sources are minimised due to the cost of the input fuels and supply chain disruptions… voila, latent renewable capacity is allowed to flourish! ☀️💨💧

Renewable energy generation for November - average for the month:
  • National - 41.9%
  • TAS - 99.7%
  • SA - 77.7%
  • VIC - 42.3%
  • WA - 40.9%
  • NSW - 38.8%
  • QLD - 27.8%
Peak renewable generation for November - and time of occurrence:
  • National - 67.9% on 21 Nov 12:45
  • TAS - 100.0% on many occasions
  • SA - 97.4% on 01 Nov 17:15
  • WA - 79.8% on 27 Nov 16:15
  • NSW - 71.3% on 20 Nov 11:00
  • VIC - 67.6% on 21 Nov 10:45
  • QLD - 62.5% on 12 Nov 12:30
Daytime renewable performance for November - renewable percentage when solar production is not zero:
  • National - 43.6%
  • TAS - 99.6%
  • SA - 80.0%
  • WA - 49.8%
  • NSW - 47.3%
  • VIC - 46.2%
  • QLD - 36.3%
Nighttime renewable performance for November - renewable percentage when solar production is zero:
  • National - 27.2%
  • TAS - 99.7%
  • SA - 69.5%
  • VIC - 33.8%
  • WA - 24.1%
  • NSW - 20.7%
  • QLD - 7.4%
Diurnal renewable hardness for November - ratio of nighttime renewable percentage to daytime:
  • National - 0.62
  • TAS - 1.00
  • SA - 0.87
  • VIC - 0.73
  • WA - 0.48
  • NSW - 0.44
  • QLD - 0.20
Small Scale / Rooftop solar as a proportion of all generation for November - invisible to AEMO:
  • National - 14.1%
  • SA - 23.8%
  • WA - 22.5%
  • NSW - 14.0%
  • QLD - 13.6%
  • VIC - 11.3%
  • TAS - 3.7%
Renewable mix for November - solar includes small-scale solar, hydro includes pumped hydro:
  • National - Wind: 31.6%, Solar: 50.1%, Hydro: 18.3%
  • NSW - Wind: 22.6%, Solar: 61.2%, Hydro: 16.2%
  • QLD - Wind: 11.9%, Solar: 83.4%, Hydro: 4.7%
  • SA - Wind: 60.8%, Solar: 39.2%, Hydro: 0.0%
  • TAS - Wind: 16.7%, Solar: 3.7%, Hydro: 79.6%
  • VIC - Wind: 47.8%, Solar: 35.4%, Hydro: 16.8%
  • WA - Wind: 44.6%, Solar: 55.4%, Hydro: 0.0%
SNSWNB Index for November - sun not shining wind not blowing index: total duration in minutes spread across N separate periods:
  • National - 0 minutes across 0 periods
  • NSW - 0 minutes across 0 periods
  • QLD - 0 minutes across 0 periods
  • SA - 0 minutes across 0 periods
  • TAS - 0 minutes across 0 periods
  • VIC - 0 minutes across 0 periods
  • WA - 0 minutes across 0 periods

Yes, but day time was higher. A bit like home solar without a battery. Nett might be zero but you over produce during the day and nothing at night.

An impressive performance for SA.
I get that the state produced 103% of its power from renewables, but its playing with numbers when the reality is 6% of the power was from a non renewable. Thats an energy source that cannot be replaced regardless of how much solar or wind is produced. When the gas is turned off, then SA can claim a week of 100% renewables.
Its a fantastic outcome for what it really is though.

Reactions: Hovean and Hairyman
Its a bit confusing when the article proclaims renewables powered the state for a week but 5.9% of night energy was from gas

Indeed. That’s because they are dividing in-state renewable generation by in-state demand, and not by in-state total generation, which is what I do.

It’s a bit of a nonsense to allocate every bit of renewable generation to in-state demand, because you could just as easily allocate every bit of gas generation to in-state demand. It’s like arguing whether roads are funded by fuel excise or income tax or company tax when it’s all just one bucket of consolidated revenue money. Same with electrons.

I think my method is more honest as well as unambiguous.

Looking through the history of SA’s peak renewable percentages posted here, it’s never been over 98% because of that minimum mandated gas generation in the state.

Having said all that, 98% is still pretty bloody impressive.