Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Drive Electric Events Sept 14 - 22, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
National Drive Electric Week™ is September 14-22, 2019

Anyone planning on attending any local events ?

Check out the map of planned events around the country.

Might be a good place to meet other like minded people and enjoy talking EV's.

National Drive Electric Week 2019 - Event Map

Yes, we're taking our MS90D to the Golden Colorado event. This car shows the real-world effects of everyday commuting in it. We'll even bring our dogs (and all their hair) and the Napier 61500 hatchback tent.

Reactions: Kenz and SMAlset
Wonder if my Stealth Red wrap would stand out...
Don't know who owns it, but this M3 I saw in Kirkland Washington really was spectacular! Check the plate...
Marymoor Dog Park Red M3.jpg

For those that are first timers there is a little caveat. Many people assume they are dealer's cars and will treat them that way with less respect.

That was true for when we participated back in 2017. At our event Nissan was there showing their Leaf car and some attendees assumed Tesla sent the displayed Teslas I guess. I think introducing yourself as @Sandiegodoug mentioned is a good way to start off. Otherwise maybe displaying a sign on your windshield or side window sayinig something like "Owner: Joe X. since 201x?" would help. Some people at the event we attended had made foamboard signage to have near their car highlighting info or features.

The tip about setting the car to valet mode from @srs5694 to protect your driver seat positions was a good one. Don't want to mess with that "just right seat positioning you've manage to find". With Valet Mode set however the frunk (and glovebox) will be locked so no showing of the frunk space. Maybe creating a driver profile for just the Event to provide easy in and out access would be a good idea. If you don't use Valet Mode, might want to double check ahead of time what you have stored in your glovebox and center console in case you want to remove something.

My wife and I are volunteering at the Mammoth Lakes, CA EVent Saturday. She’s helping with registration and information, and I’m giving rides! I was told to expect to give 10 to 15 rides over the course of the day. There will be 5 drivers, and more EVs on “static” display with owners standing by to chat with visitors. Should be a great day!

Both my wife and I will be presenters in San Diego. (X,3) it’s a great event and always amazes me how little the general public knows about electric vehicles. I love educating them.
I like the fact that the event I’ll be giving rides at is a 5-hour drive from home, with a major mountain range in between. One thing that slows lots of people down in considering an EV is range anxiety and where to charge and all that. The mere fact that a guy from Sacramento is giving rides in Mammoth Lakes in a bit of testimony in itself that this model works!

As to the J-1772 adapters, a number of people’s offices have some sort of L2 charging for employees (my husband’s happens to be ChargePoint), and if people know they can charge at work with their Tesla, that could be a big selling point for them to have that convenient access. That and local stores like Whole Foods, etc. that have installed them. A local PlugShare map of J-1772 chargers might be nice to have. Recent Media reports are still saying a main holdback for people is range anxiety. And in a lot of states, Tesla Superchargers aren’t as numerous or convenient to drive to as say parts of Calif. where I live. Letting people know these additional sources to charge are around in addition to Superchargers, I see as a making an EV choice as their next car more possible.
+1 on the Plugshare map.

Off-topic - Mods move as req - They have a phone app that displays the map, including charging stations near your location. The icons on their phone map provide details about the stations including: type of connection hardware, if it's free or not, how many and whether they're are in use. Registered users can add comments about specific locations, even photos.

For example:
ChaDeMo at ChocMo Poulsbo WA.jpg

This one in Port Angeles 'saved my bacon' on a recent road trip:
Clipper Creek saves my bacon 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset
I've created handouts that I keep in my 3 to give away when people ask about it. There are 2 version each for the S, 3, and X. Feel free to download and revise them for your own use.

They were created using Apple Pages, but can be downloaded in a variety of formats. Download links in this twitter chain.
Darrell Spice Jr. on Twitter

Following images are for reference, use link above to download originals. Letter size handout:
View attachment 452159 View attachment 452160

Legal size handout, includes example road trip I took in my 3:
View attachment 452161 View attachment 452162
Really nice handouts, SpiceWare. Excellent work!

Reactions: Kenz and SpiceWare
While we all know we're covered for charging where we drive, newbies won't. All they've heard in the press is how the charging situation isn't there yet (little attention given to Tesla's network) and these newbies have relatives, friends and business and vacation trips that may take them out of Tesla's network making charging less convenient. Gotta be a concern for them and something that should be addressed if they ask. I remember having two ladies come up to check out our car. One lady was a potential car purchaser and her friend was more bent on dissuading her from buying an EV. Recall they were asking about going to Tahoe and making it there with enough charge. So I do think letting people know they have not only Tesla's network behind them, but the use of J-1772s and NEMA 14-50s available too can be important in their decision making. And thanks to VW getting caught on dieselgate, there will be more coverage down the road.

Reactions: Kenz
My wife and I are volunteering at the Mammoth Lakes, CA Event Saturday. She’s helping with registration and information, and I’m giving rides! I was told to expect to give 10 to 15 rides over the course of the day. There will be 5 drivers, and more EVs on “static” display with owners standing by to chat with visitors. Should be a great day!

CharleyBC, I am planning on attending in Mammoth as well, hope to make your acquaintance.

Last year I displayed my Model X at a local energy fair. I had some issues with parents not controlling their kids (standing on the seats to jump into he back, or getting face paint on the seat backs. When I asked the parents to please be careful as this was a privately owned vehicle, and I was the owner, they were all surprised they were private vehicles and not dealer owned. They tended to quickly admonish their kids and move on. Interesting that they somewhat deemed it acceptable to let them run free for a dealer vehicle.

Several others asked why I was displaying my personnel vehicle - I simply stated that i felt it was the future of vehicles, and people should know what is currently available.

For this years events (2) I am preparing a placard to put on the dash that states it is a "Privately owned vehicle, and please be...considerate" - I am also making a folding poster board with the basic information I found myself answering time and again.

Many asked about the price....I have most of the options on mine (minus the sound/Stereo and wheel upgrades). I think this year I will simply state the base price (not quite so much...sticker shock).

I also put the car into Valet Mode to put small items from the cubby out of harms reach.

I have the 6 seat configuration - rear most seats are typically down - two car seats in the mid seats for the grand-kids (Which is why I ended up with a MX in the first place - but that is another story). I think for this years shows I will leave the car seats in, and one of the rearmost seats up to show the seating arrangement.

Have to read up on how to shut the AC off to keep the battery from running down -
Also remember bring a Lawn Chair and Umbrella (I stay with the car to leave it open, answer questions, and watch over the car.)

Displayed my Volt last year. No one asked me about it, so I chatted with the Model 3 owners. They were all optimistic I would get my car, ordered on Aug 13, before year-end. I was surprised at how optimistic they were. I eventually beat the end of the year tax credit deadline by 2 and ½ weeks.

Not sure why this is labeled by some as "National.." Just like Tesla itself, this event is going world wide. Here's a clip from another website that names some other places:

Plug In America hosts its 9th annual Drive Electric Week next week at events all around the US and the globe. There are currently over 300 events registered in the US, Canada, Australia, Belgium, Mexico, New Zealand, and Taiwan.

Reactions: Kenz
I am glad i saw this. There is event that is only 2 miles away. I am considering going/attending there with my friend who also has a Model 3. I do not see too many electric cars in direct vicinity where I live. I love my car and love talking about it with friends who at times get tired of me. This is a great way to talk some strangers ears off if they are interested in the future.