TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

National Geographic World Without Oil

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by vfx, Mar 5, 2010.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Check you local listings: Here in LA. it's on MONDAY MARCH 8 8P

Aftermath | World Without Oil | National Geographic Channel

2. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

This is kind of silly as a premise. We don't go from 85 million bpd of oil production to 0 bpd quickly. It is a bell curve. Whatever the peak year is (between 2008-2020 depending on who you ask) could lead to a plateau for a few years, then a decline.

For example, let's say Peak Oil is in 2012.
    2013 = 84 million bpd
    2014 = 83 million bpd
    2015 = 82 million bpd

Or something along those lines.

The concept of zero oil happening quickly is as silly as their other show about zero population and the aftermath.

3. johnr

johnr Member

How the mighty have fallen. National Geographic used to be above that sort of sensationalism...

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Watching it now. They lay it out more of a "what if?" scenario. A wakeup call for the clueless how dependent we are on it.

Would be nice if have some peak oil info info at the end.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

OK finally watched the whole thing all the way through. I have no problem with punching up the point with sensational storytelling like "today, all oil has disappeared!"
    My issues were a scenario that had hundreds of millions of acres planted with biofuel, Bolivia becoming the Saudi Arabia of the world because of lithium for batteries and not touching on wind or solar.

On the good side, electric cars were heros!