Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Grid and Tesla Backup Switch [PV + (1) PW+ and (1) PW2]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me of a tech company that I worked with that wanted to bring some new, but regulated, products to market... they were used to consumer devices, and the idea that they had to test the devices, demonstrate performance, file the paperwork and wait on someone else's timeline for approval before they could sell was greeted with, well politely, disbelief. Then they found out that marketing couldn't just put up marketing speak, and that, too, had to be approved, and couldn't just be tweaked for the next big show.

Shock doesn't begin to describe the reaction.

Interesting times...

@Vines Can't you just hear Elon saying "have it ready Tuesday and we will release it then" without regard for approval timelines?

SHO-NUFF! Here's a few pictures...

BACKUP GATEWAY - shows the two methods of isolating from the grid - using the Gateway 2, and the Backup Switch.

INSIDE - Shows the circuit board - the Service Meter attaches to this side. (Notice the TESLA trademark on the board!)

BOTTOM - Shows the Conduit Hub connection area, connections, and the Reset Button & Manual override.

REAR - Shows the built-in fan and the lugs that plug into the Service Meter Socket.

CONDUIT HUB - Straight-on view of the connections & button. (Pushing the white button in manually connects you directly to the grid - no touch!)

INFO - Shows the detail on the side of the Backup Switch body.

View attachment 678202View attachment 678203View attachment 678204View attachment 678205View attachment 678206View attachment 678207
It seems telsa is wanting to replace the util Co meter now, without even telling the utility about it? This backup switch appears to be completely in place of the electric company's meter. I guess if I was the EC I would be thinking 'no way' too...

It seems telsa is wanting to replace the util Co meter now, without even telling the utility about it? This backup switch appears to be completely in place of the electric company's meter. I guess if I was the EC I would be thinking 'no way' too...
The backup switch goes between the meter socket and the meter. It does not replace the electric company's meter.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and Krash

As pointed out above the backup switch goes in between the meter and the customers panel both electrically and physically.

The big issue as I see it is Tesla not adhering to grid operator rules, instead choosing to ask for forgiveness rather than wait for permission. I agree the backup switch looks like a good product, a game-changer even. However, Tesla will not get what they want by strong-arming the grid operators. Acting like this will in many cases make them less not more likely to approve the backup switch.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I don't know how relevant this is to the Backup Switch situation but my account page was recently updated to show an "End" date of 5 August 2021, though I haven't been notified of any scheduled work to be performed. It might indicate that National Grid may have tentatively accepted Tesla's "compliance package",... or that a robot just stuck a date in there for GP.

Attachments

• 05C6B16C-D1EE-4044-BA9C-95D520CC3F17.jpeg
    05C6B16C-D1EE-4044-BA9C-95D520CC3F17.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 84
I don't know how relevant this is to the Backup Switch situation but my account page was recently updated to show an "End" date of 5 August 2021, though I haven't been notified of any scheduled work to be performed. It might indicate that National Grid may have tentatively accepted Tesla's "compliance package",... or that a robot just stuck a date in there for GP.
Well, I got a call from Tesla Energy... They'll be back on Aug 20th. They mentioned that they'll install a second meter with the Backup Switch installed. I'm not sure how this gets around National Grid's intransigence, but I guess we'll see.

Well, I got a call from Tesla Energy... They'll be back on Aug 20th. They mentioned that they'll install a second meter with the Backup Switch installed. I'm not sure how this gets around National Grid's intransigence, but I guess we'll see.

Please post how it goes with National Grid for the Backup Switch. I am interested because GenerLink, a transfer switch that is similar to the Backup Switch in how it attaches to the meter socket, couldn't get US PoCo's approval even though they have been used in Canada for years without problems. My understanding is that US PoCo's do not allow customer owned equipment between the meter and the grid. I am guessing for liability reasons?

Please post how it goes with National Grid for the Backup Switch. I am interested because GenerLink, a transfer switch that is similar to the Backup Switch in how it attaches to the meter socket, couldn't get US PoCo's approval even though they have been used in Canada for years without problems. My understanding is that US PoCo's do not allow customer owned equipment between the meter and the grid. I am guessing for liability reasons?
US POCO can get around this requirement by owning the backup switch themselves, and installing it. This is how PGE for instance accepts the Marwell Generation Meter Adapter (GMA)

US POCO can get around this requirement by owning the backup switch themselves, and installing it. This is how PGE for instance accepts the Marwell Generation Meter Adapter (GMA)

That's great.

So, does PG&E do this on a case by case basis with end customers or the device manufacturer needs to convince PG&E to own and install the device in general?

That's great.

So, does PG&E do this on a case by case basis with end customers or the device manufacturer needs to convince PG&E to own and install the device in general?
Good question for them.

Indirectly it looks like they work out approval directly from the manufacturer, then they designate the use cases when you can use this GMA. I am not part of the process, but that is what it looks like from the outside.

We had the Marwell GMA in hand 1-2 years before PGE approved it. In that time the only changes were that PGE rules allowed such a narrow use case that the unit is rarely useful for its cost.

I don't see how that makes sense. To install a second meter they would need to add a new meter box, in which case they could just as well interpose the Gateway instead of the Backup Switch. As you say, we'll see.

I don't see how that makes sense. To install a second meter they would need to add a new meter box, in which case they could just as well interpose the Gateway instead of the Backup Switch. As you say, we'll see.
I asked the regional Tesla Tech for the revised 3 Line Diagram, and while he sent the latest one, all it included was the change in the panel strings that was done during the original install, not the metering change. I'll keep trying to get an update.

I asked the regional Tesla Tech for the revised 3 Line Diagram, and while he sent the latest one, all it included was the change in the panel strings that was done during the original install, not the metering change. I'll keep trying to get an update.
So they really did install a meter box and another meter just so they could put the Backup Switch between the two. I presume nobody will read or record that meter, but now you will have a second opinion on the utility meter. Tesla could have put a Gateway in the same place; I wonder if the meter box, meter and Backup Switch are less expensive than a Gateway.

I am new to Tesla solar, still getting know all these different names mean, For me they installed two power walls, gateway backup 2 and they will install solar panels and inverter tomorrow. I was told PG/E need to place some thing around my meter, I am assuming backup switch ?

Any time line how long it takes, I waited 4 months to get this far, Can I start using the panels energy for the Powerwall and for the house meanwhile ?