Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Grid NYS true-up rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone give me the rates that National Grid uses to true-up credits at their anniversary? They mention that they use the SC-6 rate on their website, but no matter how many times I've contacted them, I can't get an answer on how much this rate is, or if they're going to pay based on the 3-tier (on, off, super peak) system. My anniversary is in March.

Well, here it is, over 5 months since I asked about National Grid's true-up rates, and I'm beginning to feel like the Maytag repairman. In spite of many phone calls to National Grid, I've never even come close to getting any real information nohow they plan to pay me for excess power I generated. Since I'm on their VTOU plan, what I generate during each rate period is only used up during those periods the rest of the year when the Sun is almost non-existent here in the NorthEast. That left me with 686KWh credit sitting in their "SuperPeak" category because it only exists from June through September (2pm to 7pm). Their average cost for Electricity during that period came out to 11 cents/KWh (Unlike PG&E, National Grid supposedly pays the wholesale electrical supply rate.)

Finally an answer to the many times I called national Grid about how they settle up on my anniversary. The short answer is they settle at the "on-peak" wholesale price of electricity on the day of your anniversary (I have VTOU service) So even though I generated 686 KWh during their "Super-Peak" time period, they just combine the 3 rate period credits as "On-Peak" for paying out.

This brings up the question of when to charge my M3. Since any credit I build up in the morning while still on "Off-Peak" is segregated from the other two rate periods, charging my M3 at night would eat up all that period's credits, and then the Utility would start charging me actual money for charging my M3 (at a low rate, but still...) So I've switched my charging to "On-Peak" hours (2PM), which really negates any benefit to the Utility but keeps my charging "free".

Those who just stay on the SC-1 rate most likely have all their solar credit as one rate and shouldn't have to worry about this. While it looks like they'd get paid more than they normally pay (On-Peak vs SC-1), the chart doesn't take into account the astronomical "Delivery" fee that the Utility charges customers per kWh on top of the SC-1 rate.

VTOU Rate Periods1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
This is a several month old thread, but is pertinent to me. We have NG, and it seems that the value plan requires the use of most high demand appliances during the low rate hours to make it worthwhile. This includes appliances such as your clothes dryer and oven, as well as charging your car. NG states the savings could be as much as ~$100 per year?

In addition, they state that if you pay more for the plan than the standard rate they will cut you a check at the end of the year, but only once, never more.

Am I reading this correctly?

Finally, it looks like the cost per kWh is over .21 with delivery. Am I close here? (Albany, NY area)

Thanks in advance.

Somewhere I did a whole writeup on NG & Solar, but never saved a copy to paste here. I don't have the "value plan," I got my Model 3, then switched to VTOU, then got Solar & PWs. Regular Residential Service is SC1, which I think is around $0.16-.18 per kWh (cost plus fees) in the Utica Load Zone. For VTOU (SC1V) customers like me, the above graph is fairly accurate - NG wants you to use less electricity during the day when they pay more for it. As for paying me for exported energy, NG add up all the extra I exported and pays me at the wholesale price for electricity during On-Peak hours that day, which on my anniversary day was about $0.05/kWh. If you just choose to get net metering, NG will credit you $$ every year on your anniversary (of PTO) date, or you can switch to rolling over excess energy. See my next post...

Reactions: dcfas
Posted from TOCNYS... An EV, Solar, & National Grid VTOU

For anyone in NYState under National Grid. If you have VTOU service, the day is split into two rate periods most of the year - On Peak: 7am-11pm, and Off Peak: 11pm-7am. During June-September a third rate period is added - Super Peak: 2pm-7pm. Power credits generated during these three rate periods can't be mixed, so even if you have On Peak credit, it can't be used to offset electrical usage during Off Peak times, and vice-versa. Where a problem comes in is if your Anniversary month is, say, March, and you end September with Super Peak credits, all they can do is sit there until your anniversary (or until June's Super Peak rate period starts again.) With National Grid you only have two options for your Anniversary - True-up on your Anniversary (#3 if your Month is March), or No True-up (#0 which will roll-over your electrical credits in each rate period continuously, forever.) Most people start with a yearly True-up. National Grid allows a change ONLY ONCE, so if you switch, there's no going back. If you stay with the yearly True-up, National Grid combines all electrical credit on your anniversary date (from all the rate periods) and credits your account an amount of $$ based on the wholesale On Peak rate that day. (I got roughly 5 cents/kWh for 2,000kWhs even though I'd generated almost half that during Super Peak times where the wholesale rates were 10 cents & higher) Remember that this is under VTOU Service only. I'm not sure exactly how this works if you're running solar on their SC1 standard Residential Service.
I originally set my Model 3 to start charging at 1am before I had Solar. That was the cheapest time to charge (VTOU). Then I got Tesla Solar installed, and realized that while I was gaining credit during the day, I was still being charged at night for charging. That was my WTF moment of clarity. The EV would drain the Powerwalls to the reserve setting at night and then the EV would draw from the Grid, costing me $$. Well, I decided to set the EV to start charging at 2pm. Why? Because the power walls would normally be fully recharged by then, and during the Summer 2pm starts Super Peak, who's credits can only be used from June-September, and any left at the end of September will only be trued-up at the lower On Peak rate - so why not use what you'll eventually lose? During charging I vary the power to stay below what the Solar produces, so my Powerwalls stay at 100% to bridge the sundown to sunup period and I don't draw from the Grid before the Sun starts producing again. That's my story & I'm sticking to it!