Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Grid SMART payments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone here a Massachusetts National Grid electric utility customer with solar signed up for and receiving payments through the SMART program?

We just got our first utility bill after solar and Powerwall install that is signed up for the SMART program. The bill basically said we would get something Else in the mail for SMART. So just wondering from anyone else in the same program could shed some light on how it works and their experience. Thanks!

Is anyone here a Massachusetts National Grid electric utility customer with solar signed up for and receiving payments through the SMART program?

We just got our first utility bill after solar and Powerwall install that is signed up for the SMART program. The bill basically said we would get something Else in the mail for SMART. So just wondering from anyone else in the same program could shed some light on how it works and their experience. Thanks!

I'm in MA and in SMART program. I just received my first bill as well. After [my participation in the program] had been approved my installer informed me that it would take NG up to 3 cycle to star actually sending checks:

" Now that it is approved, National Grid has 3 months to catch you up on your payments. It seems they have been using all 3 months to start payments, so you might not see anything until then. If in the 3 months you still don't see anything you should give National Grid a call at 1-800-322-3223 to check on the payment status. "

So just keep the bill handy to compare the numbers when check arrive ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jhn_ and TORQU3
I'm in MA and in SMART program. I just received my first bill as well. After [my participation in the program] had been approved my installer informed me that it would take NG up to 3 cycle to star actually sending checks:

" Now that it is approved, National Grid has 3 months to catch you up on your payments. It seems they have been using all 3 months to start payments, so you might not see anything until then. If in the 3 months you still don't see anything you should give National Grid a call at 1-800-322-3223 to check on the payment status. "

So just keep the bill handy to compare the numbers when check arrive ;)
Do you happen to know if they send checks monthly just like bills? Or less frequent, something like quarterly? Checks are arcane too. I autopay electronically the bill, you’d think there would be some way to get the payments through ACH or something.

Do you happen to know if they send checks monthly just like bills? Or less frequent, something like quarterly? Checks are arcane too. I autopay electronically the bill, you’d think there would be some way to get the payments through ACH or something.

No I don't.
If I remember correctly the SMART predecessor program (SREC?) were paid by quarters.
I'm almost sure I selected the option to get direct payments to my bank, I had to sign some forms and provide void bank check. The installed did the rest for me.

I wanted to check in and see if either of you received a SMART payment yet. I received PTO 2 weeks ago and curious about what they payments will look like now that we have had a few cloudless days as we approach spring.

I wanted to check in and see if either of you received a SMART payment yet. I received PTO 2 weeks ago and curious about what they payments will look like now that we have had a few cloudless days as we approach spring.
I just got my second bill from NG. There is a section "SMART Compensation" at the bottom of the bill. It reads " Provided for information only. The payment will be issued separately". This section includes Calculated SMART Incentive calculated by this formula:
(total compensation rate - value of energy)x kWH generated.

I just got my second bill from NG. There is a section "SMART Compensation" at the bottom of the bill. It reads " Provided for information only. The payment will be issued separately". This section includes Calculated SMART Incentive calculated by this formula:
(total compensation rate - value of energy)x kWH generated.
Does your bill include a value other than zero in the “value of energy” portion of that formula? Mine says “0” then “x” then the kWh we generated during that bill cycle.

Does your bill include a value other than zero in the “value of energy” portion of that formula? Mine says “0” then “x” then the kWh we generated during that bill cycle.
Here is last page of my bill.
0.10792 is my SMART compensation rate.

EDEA8987-EC43-465B-9E0F-56FF5D20531F.jpeg

Reactions: ScoGold and TORQU3
Here is last page of my bill.
0.10792 is my SMART compensation rate.

View attachment 643338
Huh. Thank you for sharing that.

My second bill still had “0” for both the compensation rate and value of energy first columns. Makes me nervous that something got screwed up with my application. I’ll wait for the third bill to come like they ask, and if it’s still not right I guess it will be time to pick up the phone.

Huh. Thank you for sharing that.

My second bill still had “0” for both the compensation rate and value of energy first columns. Makes me nervous that something got screwed up with my application. I’ll wait for the third bill to come like they ask, and if it’s still not right I guess it will be time to pick up the phone.
Sure, np. Hope it will sort out quickly.

Do you have operation agreement from MA Dept of Energy Resources? the document stating that you are "Generation Unit" ? I t should have dates and compensation rate. So even if NGrid messed up something you know how much you generated. you do have PTO, right? two meters and whole shebang.. ?

Honestly I would not wait. you already have 2 bills and it doesn't show any generation. This is strange. How would you prove your system is working and producing ?

Ah I see, yes the production numbers are there. It's good.
I would call NG and verify if they have copy of Final Statement of Qualification . - the document I mentioned earlier. it states the conditions of your SMART program. Perhaps they don't have it ? I cannot think about anything else.

Quick update. Tesla failed to file the final SMART application paperwork when my project was complete. After reaching out to them it now looks like it is in progress as I have received a status email from the SMART program administrator saying my application is under review. Hopefully this didn’t hurt my tranche status in the SMART quota in terms of rates I get, but I have a feeling it may have. Not sure if customers are locked into a rate when then apply or when the process is approved. This 2+ month gap could mean a few extra cents per kWh.

Quick update. Tesla failed to file the final SMART application paperwork when my project was complete. After reaching out to them it now looks like it is in progress as I have received a status email from the SMART program administrator saying my application is under review. Hopefully this didn’t hurt my tranche status in the SMART quota in terms of rates I get, but I have a feeling it may have. Not sure if customers are locked into a rate when then apply or when the process is approved. This 2+ month gap could mean a few extra cents per kWh.
Happy to hear you (we, lol) caught it.

I'm almost positive that your getting into block when application is filed. When I started the process the installed started paperwork during Block 4. and this is what I got almost a year later when project had been completed.

Reactions: TORQU3

I am annoyed because Tesla also messed up the SMART application for me too.

I ordered a 7.6kW SE Inverter but they were not in stock so they upgraded me to the 10kW SE Inverter. The application that was submitted to SMART referenced the 7.6kW Inverter so even though I received PTO on 2/16, Tesla withdrew the SMART application, so even though I have the net meter and Eversource turned the system on, I have not been generating SMART credits because of one person at Tesla taking a month to change 7.6 to 10.

My electric bill went from $125 to $40, but was hoping it would be negative with the credits. Still no resolution on when the person at Tesla will file the paperwork and SMART is frustrated too because they are not getting a response from Tesla and he wants to close out the project.

I am annoyed because Tesla also messed up the SMART application for me too.

I ordered a 7.6kW SE Inverter but they were not in stock so they upgraded me to the 10kW SE Inverter. The application that was submitted to SMART referenced the 7.6kW Inverter so even though I received PTO on 2/16, Tesla withdrew the SMART application, so even though I have the net meter and Eversource turned the system on, I have not been generating SMART credits because of one person at Tesla taking a month to change 7.6 to 10.

My electric bill went from $125 to $40, but was hoping it would be negative with the credits. Still no resolution on when the person at Tesla will file the paperwork and SMART is frustrated too because they are not getting a response from Tesla and he wants to close out the project.

BTW, this is situation I would looked into really close.

When Tesla withdrew the application for 7600 you likely lost your place in line (i.e in block) . If the block you were in with initial application expired before the new application had been filed you are getting into next block and compensation rate will be different (less).

If this the case I would ask for concession from Tesla.

BTW, this is situation I would looked into really close.

When Tesla withdrew the application for 7600 you likely lost your place in line (i.e in block) . If the block you were in with initial application expired before the new application had been filed you are getting into next block and compensation rate will be different (less).

If this the case I would ask for concession from Tesla.

I finally got a response from Tesla and they told Eversource to cancel my PTO (is this even possible?) and they will re-submit with the correct sized inverter.

I had a side conversation with the person at SMART/Eversource and he said the normal thing to do would be to keep the approved application in and just modify the system size after the fact. He also said personally he had to go through a similar frustrating process last year with Tesla for his personal system.

Guess I just need to be patient

Update and clarification.

Apparently I already received one payment and I expect another one tomorrow or next day. I didn't notice the first payment as it didn't match to the amount I posted above. Apparently NGrid combined two payments in one transaction - two SMART payments. One was for December, one for January. I actually looked back and my December's statement looks like yours jhn_ (Production is there, compensation is zero). I got PTO in mid December.

Today I received another email "Payment Advice Note" and it has one line with amount matching SMART incentive. Last time money were deposited to my bank account next day after the email.

Reactions: TORQU3