Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Grid SMART payments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eversource is my utility. I just got my first SMART payout which was for December and January. My SMART application was started in July 2020, and initial application approved in August. My system was installed in October, and PTO in December. I got final "claim" approval in January. I have a 12.24kW 36 panel system with 3 powerwallls. My first payment was at a rate of 13.75cents/kWh. I believe that the initial application date locks in the tier block.

Reactions: jhn_
BTW, this is situation I would looked into really close.

When Tesla withdrew the application for 7600 you likely lost your place in line (i.e in block) . If the block you were in with initial application expired before the new application had been filed you are getting into next block and compensation rate will be different (less).

If this the case I would ask for concession from Tesla.
Application was re-submitted today and in speaking with Eversource I will be in SMART Block 5. Curious what block you were in for your December 2020 PTO.

I don't have anything which identifies which block I am in. In fact, the check/stub I received for the first payout had only the kWh and $'s shown. I am in Eversource East territory, and it looks like when I applied back in June 2020 I may have ended up in block 4. I guess this from some math with the calculators on Mass_Smart_program for the block rate and storage adder.

I don't have anything which identifies which block I am in. In fact, the check/stub I received for the first payout had only the kWh and $'s shown. I am in Eversource East territory, and it looks like when I applied back in June 2020 I may have ended up in block 4. I guess this from some math with the calculators on Mass_Smart_program for the block rate and storage adder.
Same question I asked another poster above:
- Do you have operation agreement from MA Dept of Energy Resources?
This is document that stating that you are "Generation Unit". It should have dates (beginning and length of program) and compensation rate (or rates).

I never got that from either eversource or tesla. I did see the example of that from the state website. I am guessing that Tesla gets that, or could get that, from the portal they use to apply for the program. All I got from Eversource was the emails at the various steps of the process showing progress up to the final one saying claim approved.

I'd like to get that document, I wonder who to ask? the smart program at the email address they give, eversource (good luck with that) or Tesla. Did you get that? From whom?

I'm in Block 4. It's not based on PTO but date of application. My application was filed earlier in 2020
My original application was November 2020 but Tesla messed it up (submitted wrong Inverter size), withdrew the application in February 2021 and refiled the application the other day. I’m curious if I would have been in Block 4 with the original application vs this application 4 months later where I’ll be in Block 5.

My original application was November 2020 but Tesla messed it up (submitted wrong Inverter size), withdrew the application in February 2021 and refiled the application the other day. I’m curious if I would have been in Block 4 with the original application vs this application 4 months later where I’ll be in Block 5.
Not sure if it’s helpful, but my application was at the very end of Sep ‘20 and was in block 4.

Reactions: ScoGold
I never got that from either eversource or tesla. I did see the example of that from the state website. I am guessing that Tesla gets that, or could get that, from the portal they use to apply for the program. All I got from Eversource was the emails at the various steps of the process showing progress up to the final one saying claim approved.

I'd like to get that document, I wonder who to ask? the smart program at the email address they give, eversource (good luck with that) or Tesla. Did you get that? From whom?
I've got this document from my installer. It was in the same email that informed me that my application was approved.

Finally got the email that my SMART application was approved. Took a couple weeks after Tesla finally submitted the installation complete paperwork that somehow fell through the cracks after my December 2020 install.

The approval email does say that Tesla as the installer has access to the SMART Statement of Qualification that includes the rates I will get. So looks like even though am approved and should start getting paid, I’ll need to bug Tesla to get a copy of that document.

Finally got the email that my SMART application was approved. Took a couple weeks after Tesla finally submitted the installation complete paperwork that somehow fell through the cracks after my December 2020 install.

The approval email does say that Tesla as the installer has access to the SMART Statement of Qualification that includes the rates I will get. So looks like even though am approved and should start getting paid, I’ll need to bug Tesla to get a copy of that document.
Congrats. One step closer.
Which utility and block did you get assigned to?

Congrats. One step closer.
Which utility and block did you get assigned to?
Tesla sent the paperwork today. Assigned to Block 6 with National Grid. That plus the storage adder gets us $0.08633 per kWh.

One thing of note, I saw in the Statement of Qualification paperwork that it says “Your Value of Energy Rate, and therefore your SMART Incentive Payment Rate, is determined based on the rates at the time your Preliminary Statement of Qualification is issued.”
That answers a question that I’ve seen more than once and had myself, which was wondering when the rate was locked in. So it isn’t quite when the installer submits the paperwork, but rather a little while later once that paperwork gets preliminary approval before install. My preliminary approval was September 2020.

Tesla sent the paperwork today. Assigned to Block 6 with National Grid. That plus the storage adder gets us $0.08633 per kWh.

One thing of note, I saw in the Statement of Qualification paperwork that it says “Your Value of Energy Rate, and therefore your SMART Incentive Payment Rate, is determined based on the rates at the time your Preliminary Statement of Qualification is issued.”
That answers a question that I’ve seen more than once and had myself, which was wondering when the rate was locked in. So it isn’t quite when the installer submits the paperwork, but rather a little while later once that paperwork gets preliminary approval before install. My preliminary approval was September 2020.
Thanks for the info. Wow it’s really starting to go down. I had run some numbers this fall and I was thinking I would get locked in around .10 with the storage adder. Given they JUST submitted my paperwork a few weeks ago, I’m sure ill be less than your number. I’ll have to update my financial mode spreadsheet.

So I asked Tesla for my statement of qualification and they sent it to me the same day. Unusually good service.

Turns out my August application for my October installation and Dec 2020 PTO with Eversource got me in block 4.

My rate details are:
Compensation Rate Component Value ($/kWh)
Base Compensation Rate $0.30081
Energy Storage Adder $0.04285
Value of Energy Rate -$0.20613
SMART Incentive Payment Rate: $0.13753

I just got my info. It's shockingly lower than I expected, mostly due to Tesla dragging their feet during every part of the process. I put my deposit down at the end of October 2020 and I STILL don't have it installed yet. I only just got the SMART incentive approved less than a month ago. It looks like I'm in block 8 from that National Grid said. Basically 5 cents even with the storage adder, seems like without that I would only get about one cent per kWh.

1624985173687.png

Adding to this that Tesla messed up my SMART application and even though I had PTO back on July 28, 2021, I didn’t have all of the SMART paperwork until March 2022, and now NatGrid had to cancel all of my bills from August of 2021 through June 2022 to add the correct block rider. So I should be getting a few payments, based on the Block 7 rate.