Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Plug In Day 2012 Events - September 23rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a couple of images... I don't know if the forum will correctly display panoramas. Apologies in advance.:redface:
20120923_085248.jpg

20120923_085335.jpg

Were Tesla represented at ANY Plug In events? (Not owners with their cars, but Tesla themselves?)

At the one in Lisle, IL., they were not to be seen. Apparently Oak Brook declined ... and corporate didn't reply to the organizers.

Yet Leaf, Mitsubishi and Fisker were there.

VERY disappointing.

Yes. Tesla came up to Sarasota from Miami (>200 miles so that was nice of them). They brought a test drive white perf Model S and 3 staff, they spend the whole day here as after the press conference, parade and 4 hours show they did test drives for reservation holders and for other potential customers. I believed they picked up several reservations. Pics and reports on the Florida sub-forum. Thanks to Graham, David and Garrett for taking that long drive and I know they didn't get back to Miami until 1.00am this morning.

Steve and I were at the Santa Cruz EV event and we were the two roadsters giving out rides. Everyone loved the roadsters and when the question came up about how far I can go on a single charge they were just blown away. A few people who I gave rides were doing their part... working for the cities and paving the way to have charging stations in. There was a guy who owns the Red Model-S in the pic below, number 044, its a sig performance model who was a super nice guy... He couldn't make it but had his friends drive the Model-S as well as the T-Zero electric car he has to help represent EVs. He owns a roadster too but figured there were enough of those for people to see there :) Sure it wasn't a shortage of friends willing to drive the EVs! I love the t-zero, there's a hitch on the back which was for towing the the optional 30KW hour generator for your long distance trips. Very cool.

20120923_151606.jpg
20120923_151615.jpg
20120923_112458.jpg
20120923_112430.jpg

The LA NIPD had every electric car on the US market.

• Four Roadsters giving rides and one one display.
  • One Model S Sig VIN#67
  • Fisker had two cars
  • Nissan had a bunch of Leafs and with owners probably added to about 30 Leafs
  • 6 or 8 Volts
  • Coda with two displays and 4 rides
  • Mitsubishi with a display and driving IMEV
  • Volkswagen bought an EV
  • Toyota dealership with a RAV4
  • Two Honda Fit
  • Coupla old RAV4s
  • Brammo brought 4 or five bikes
  • Three or so BWM Active Es
  • One or two Ford Focus Electrics
  • A Pack of a dozen or so or Zero bikes (club)
  • Coupla Vectrix's
  • Classic 1921 Milburn Electric
  • Cool "Teslapunk" VTwin Electric bike (pics later)
  • Blink booth
  • Trailer Chadeo charger

I'm sure I'm missing something...

The LA NIPD had every electric car on the US market.

• Four Roadsters giving rides and one one display.
  • One Model S Sig VIN#67
  • Fisker had two cars
  • Nissan had a bunch of Leafs and with owners probably added to about 30 Leafs
    snip

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Ok, clearly everything is happening in California.

And "nothing" here in the Midwest. Maybe it's time to move?

Anyone cite 10 reasons NOT to move west? :)

1) Ridiculous cost of housing - rent or own
2) Schools are below average
3) Terrible traffic and commutes
4) Densely populated urban areas
5) High state taxes
6) Poor infrastructure (bad roads and such)
7) Costly utilities (power and water)
8) Lousy public transport
9) Smog
10) Celebrities everywhere

Oh, but, we still love it here! :biggrin:

Your post does not say where you'd be moving from.

1) Ridiculous cost of housing - rent or own
2) Schools are below average
3) Terrible traffic and commutes
4) Densely populated urban areas
5) High state taxes
6) Poor infrastructure (bad roads and such)
7) Costly utilities (power and water)
8) Lousy public transport
9) Smog
10) Celebrities everywhere

Oh, but, we still love it here! :biggrin:
Housing is reasonable in Spokane; schools are good, from what I'm told; traffic is no problem, other than the busiest freeway exits at rush hour; not densely populated (in ten minutes I can be out of town and driving through farm land); no state income tax; electricity is about 6 cents per kWh, from hydro; the air is relatively clean; there are no celebrities; no earthquake faults nearby, though when Mt. St. Helen blew I'm told there was ashfall here. Public transport is lousy and the streets are terrible downtown.

Now, if you live in North Dakota and you can handle the bitterly cold winters and hot humid summers, then don't move. North Dakota is a nicer place except for the weather. But if you live farther east, I'd say westward is an improvement. Except California. California is dreadful.

This year National Plug in day was an unqualified success. (though I'm suggesting it be renamed, ""Drive Electric Day" or similar.

65 cities and 10,000 people put in the seats of EVs.

I'm also suggesting that next year anyone with any kind of EV go out and give a stranger a ride.

SOME NATIONAL PLUG IN DAY MEDIA COVERAGE

National News Outlets:
Wall Street Journal
New York Times
Christian Science Monitor
AutoWeek
USA Today
AP Radio
Local Print:
Los Angeles Times
Sacramento Bee
Detroit Free Press
San Jose Mercury News, 9-23San Jose Mercury News, 9-24San Francisco ChronicleTorrance Daily Breeze, Los AngelesLA Daily News, Los AngelesBoston Globe/APEl Segundo HeraldAnnapolis Capitol GazetteVermont Times-ArgusHerald Tribune, Sarasota, FLArizona Daily StarMaui NewsPacific Business NewsLas Vegas Review JournalValley Record, Snoqualmie, WATennessean, TennesseeMarin Independent JournalMinneapolis Star TribuneNorth County Times, San Diego
Online:
Yahoo News
EV News
Daily KosEdmunds.comGreenCarReportsMSN AutosRevenge of the Electric CarAutoBlogGreenPlugInCars.comEarthTechlingTorque NewsGreeningDetroit.comWaff, Huntsville, ALSierra ClubLong Island ExchangeMyNissanLeafGM-VoltTesla Motors Forum Nonprofits:
Natural Resources Defense Council blogCare2Nonprofit QuarterlyEnvironmental News Service Local Network News:
KTLA, Los AngelesABC TV morning news, CBS TV morning news, Salt Lake City, UT
ABC Action New, Sarasota, FLCBS, San FranciscoNBC, RenoFOX 11, Santa Barbara
Industry Trade:
Power EngineeringUltimate MotorcyclingEquities.com

PRESS RELEASE

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

TENS OF THOUSANDS CELEBRATE SECOND ANNUAL NATIONAL PLUG IN DAY

An estimated 10,000+ prospective drivers were introduced to plug in electric vehicles over the weekend as the country celebrated the second annual National Plug In Day. Over 60 cities participated in the nation's largest ever grassroots celebration of the wide range of plug in electric vehicles now available across the United States. Since their introduction almost two years ago, the over 50,000 plug in vehicles sold have logged an estimated 200 million electric miles.

Widespread enthusiasm for the cars was on display across the country, in part because plug in owners pay a small fraction of the cost to power the vehicles as compared to traditional models. The event was sponsored at the national level by Plug In America, Sierra Club, and the Electric Auto Association."We were very gratified that so many companies, utilities, and government agencies joined excited and satisfied customers for National Plug In Day," said Plug In America President Chad Schwitters.

Major manufacturers turned out to celebrate with their customers. “Our enthusiastic Nissan LEAF customers are the driving force behind bringing more people into the electric vehicle market,” said Brian Carolin, senior vice president, Nissan Sales and Marketing. “We were pleased to support National Plug In Day events across the country, including at our Tennessee headquarters, to recognize EV advocates and to help more consumers experience the fun of electric driving.” Britta Gross from General Motors, manufacturer of the Chevy Volt plug-in vehicle, added "Volt owners turned out in droves for National Plug In Day - we were thrilled to share the day with them and many potential new drivers." David Patterson from Mitsubishi Motors North America, manufacturer of the all-electric i-MiEV, stated "we were proud to celebrate National Plug In Day and to power the Orange County event with the solar-powered EV charging stations at our headquarters — the only location with a DC quick charger in Orange County."

Plug in owners report that the cars provide an outstanding driving experience resulting from the high performance electric drive. The vehicles on the market have received a wide range of awards for quality and customer satisfaction and are now selling at a rate three times higher than standard hybrid vehicles when they were first introduced. "Utilities are ready to meet the electric moment for transportation," said Edward Kjaer, Director Plug In Vehicle Readiness for Southern California Edison. "We're delighted to have the promise of plug ins recognized on National Plug In Day."

Companies like VIA Motors are demonstrating that trucks and large vehicles are strong prospects for electrification - "we were thrilled with the event and the support nationally. At the ‘The Plugged In Music Festival and EV Drive’ in Salt Lake City, we gave continuous test drives for six hours with folks lined up to drive the new full size electric pick up truck,” said Alan Perriton President of VIA Motors. Motorcycle manufacturers have utilized electric drive technology to great advantage and are rapidly gaining market share. “Zero Motorcycles was very proud to participate in nine National Plug In Day events, including Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Washington DC and our home base in Santa Cruz. It was especially exciting to see our customers who own and ride our electric motorcycles get involved,” said Scot Harden, Vice President of Global Marketing for Zero Motorcycles. “These riders know that the electric drive is the premium drive - last weekend thousands more had the chance to see why!"

Plug in vehicles use electricity - stored in batteries which are recharged by plugging in to electric outlets ranging from standard to high capacity - to power electric drive motors. Advances in battery and electric drive technology, coupled with government incentives and strong engineering and design commitment from leading companies, have brought plug in vehicles to market in record numbers. Available models range from family passenger cars to motorcycles to trucks and heavy duty vehicles.

See www.pluginamerica.org to learn more.