TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

National Research Council Report on Plug-In Hybrids

Discussion in 'News' started by Arnold Panz, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

This is a disturbing article/report, and it has the imprimatur of official US government policy:

Study Says Big Impact of the Plug-In Hybrid Will Be Decades Away

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I wouldn't call it disturbing. It's pretty hard to predict the future. Just means more should be done to promote plug-ins. Probably also means we should work on reducing oil subsidies to balance out the equation.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I agree with Doug, it's hard to predict the future, esp with PHEVs not even out yet for sale in any significant numbers.

And all this report will do is spur more government incentives to further things along quicker if plug-ins are seen as important.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Momentum and historic events are hard to predict. Another terrorist attack directly connected to some ME nation could trigger another energy crisis and a huge push away from conventional gas vehicles. A large battery production breakthrough that dramatically reduces cost could bring prices down.

I think, however, that the estimates are probably pretty realistic. This is not going to be a quick acceptance thing, but momentum will go a long way. I, again, suggest looking at how the Prius built so much momentum for hybrids in general, and fuel efficient vehicles...and now some real progress toward mass produced PHEVs and EVs.

And yet, I still get asked if I have to plug in my Prius.... It takes time, and people like us, and other changes we can't predict. But it is, IMO, inevitable.

5. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I hope you're all right. It just seems to me that these articles encourage the range anxiety crap and the need to build some massive charging infrastructure before plug-ins or BEVs will be accepted. Fact, is, the infrastructure isn't necessarily needed to get a very large number of people into PHEVs or BEVs. The undertone of the article was that these will be niche vehicles for the next 20 years, at least.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator