Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Native playback of podcasts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably not a UK specific question but I listen to lots of podcasts (more so than music) via PocketCasts on iOS/Android.

From what I have read Spotify isn't great for podcasts as it doesn't have a dedicated menu for it? It's only those added into a playlist which show?
What about TuneIn? I tried the smartphone app and it seems "usable" more or less ..

Am I going to end up using BT from phone?

It would be awesome if they built something in. If you find something please let me know.

I'm still using PocketCasts as well on iOS,
Before I had my tesla I thought I could just use PocketCasts in a browser but it stops when you put it in gear.
I wish it would continue to run

they seriously need to stop releasing games and fart machines and work on the in car entertainment and nav, which is lacking compared to competitors. Spotify constantly bombs out while playing songs. Tunein is unusable. The nav doesn't support way points and it's routing is absolutely bizarre at times. Priorities.

Reactions: Roy W. and MrBadger
I'm a PocketCasts user too. Up to now I've mostly used bluetooth and kept playing from the phone.

Unlike many here I do think the built-in TuneIn is at least usable if not great. The comments about history retention etc are valid but the worst point for me is how it randomly forgets where you've got to in a particular episode so you have to start it again. Having said that, the TuneIn client is far more likely to load on my MCU1 screen rather than spinning on "loading...." like Spotify does loading up my playlist....

Spotify's native PodCast support isn't much better (and they put restrictions in on how/where you can cast PodCast content to on the grounds that it's internally classified as "mixed/multimedia" rather than plain "audio"), and I think that's probably why it doesn't turn up on the Tesla Spotify client (although that's just a guess).

Bearing in mind the recent PocketCasts developments I'd be absolutely amazed if anything got added specific for it on the Tesla side of things though....

they seriously need to stop releasing games and fart machines and work on the in car entertainment and nav, which is lacking compared to competitors. Spotify constantly bombs out while playing songs. Tunein is unusable. The nav doesn't support way points and it's routing is absolutely bizarre at times. Priorities.
I 100% agree, but the nav routing is my biggest complaint. I live off a 2.5 mile country road with access from a main road at either end. There is also a single track road that intersects in at about the halfway point from a different entry point. The nav always wants to route me in via the single track road regardless of from which side I am approaching the country road and despite the fact that the single track road would involve greater distance (and slower speeds). As it is the route to my home, I frequently set the nav to take me home and then ignore the instructions sending me to the single track. I keep hoping, in vain, that the nav will learn there is a better (and far easier, quicker and less stressful) way to my home. This behaviour has made me not trust the in car nav routing and on a journey where I don't know the roads (when nav is truly important) I will use Waze or TomTom on my phone. Sad really.

Yep - I have watched as it completely ignored an empty left turn, and instead took me all the way to the end of the business park and back. Definitely beta in nature.

Unlike many here I do think the built-in TuneIn is at least usable if not great. ..

If by usable you would accept only being able to listen to the second half of a playlist or Album on spotify - yeah...usable.....