TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Natural gas bus on fire. Bbq anyone?

Discussion in 'Video' started by Adm, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Adm

Adm Active Member

A bus in the Dutch city of Delft on fire, until the natural gas starts to leak from the tanks and it becomes a flame thrower.

[video]http://www.omroepwest.nl/node/98417/overlay[/video]

2. Beaker

Beaker Sig #997

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

You have any more info on that? Was it compressed gas, liquid propane, or something else?

That "leak" was a from a blow off valve, designed to reduce the pressure in the vessel. It may seem violent (since the gas ignites on exit), but it's to prevent an even worse explosion.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Exactly a BLEVE explosion is something to avoid at all costs. Assuming it was liquid NG. Rupturing pressure vessels is also very very bad thing. This is the type of thing that turns me off of H2 and NG/LPG, as this is a 'safe' failure mode.

5. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

#5 sublimaze1, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    About four or five years ago, we had an acetylene manufacturing facility go up. I don't know if you see it in this video, but a bus simply melts to the ground and one of the tanks shot about 3/4 mile down I-35 and torpedoed into an overpass. Was very eventful.