Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Natural gas vehicles (NGVs, CNG)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a question:

In the past year, the low price of Natural Gas has meant that some electricity generation has shifted from coal to natural gas. Now, I've never seen a car that can directly use coal as a fuel, but there are cars that use natural gas as a fuel.

So, what's the cost and efficiency comparison between an EV using electricity generated 100% by natural gas and a car that uses CNG?

TIA

That's an interesting question. I think I worked it out at some point, mainly because I was trying to compare HFCVs to NGVs. And I don't think I saved my notes. I guess the easy thing to do is just look up the gas mileage (so to speak) of an existing vehicle so it's less theoretical.

The Honda Civic GX claims 27 city and 38 highway MPGe.
http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-natural-gas/

GGE is 33.4 kWh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

So Tank-to-Wheels that's 1222 Wh/mile city and 868 Wh/miles highway.

With that you can begin to compare to other types of transport. You'll have to make some assumptions in terms of Well-to-Tank efficiency.

Thanks for the start. The 33.4kWh number is theoretical, not the actual powerplant produced energy per gge, right? So, how efficient are NG powerplants?

Even so, at over 800Wh/mile best case, a Tesla at 350Wh/mile easily achievable case is twice as efficient, and maybe more so given powerplant inefficiencies. More reason for EVs instead of CNGs.

The 33.4kWh can be viewed as a thermodynamic limit of how much chemical energy is contained in a gallon of gasoline. So it's not necessarily the electricity you can get out of it. kWh is just a unit of energy which is easy to relate to electricity. If we weren't including electricity in the conversation, BTUs or Joules might be better units.

Looks like the efficiency of a NG power-plant can range from 30 to 60%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil-fuel_power_station#Gas_turbine_plants
http://www.naturalgas.org/overview/uses_eletrical.asp

Say the transmission efficiency of the grid is 93%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission#Losses

That gives you an idea of power plant to wall efficiency. That doesn't include charging efficiency. (It also doesn't include energy used to get the natural gas out of the ground on to the plant, but lets call that a wash when comparing to CNG cars).

Anyhow including Well-to-Wall losses, you can multiply the the EV Wh/mile usage by a factor of two or three.

Now, I've never seen a car that can directly use coal as a fuel, but there are cars that use natural gas as a fuel.

Well it is about as direct as you will get a coal powered car. And if you put some wood on it two you have yourself a hybrid vehicle. :wink:

Cugnot-s-original-steam-car.jpg

Another data point: an efficient gas-fired power plant uses about 7.1 MMBtu/MWh at the generator bus bar. If we assume 20% line losses, conversion and charging losses, so let's call that 8.5 MMBtu per delivered MWh.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the opening section of a paper I'm working on this point:
To accurately understand and compare the gasoline alternatives for the transportation sector, it is helpful to first consider the underlying science of how two competing technologies convert a fossil-fuel source chemical energy to rotational work being performed by the vehicle – in short a well-to-wheel analysis. In order to most accurately address the claims put forth by Dr. Knittel in his piece Leveling the Playing Field for Natural Gas in Transportation, this study will compare the same two models of electric vehicle (EV) and compressed natural gas fueled combustion engine vehicles (CNG) as did Dr. Knittel. The two models being examined are the all-electric Nissan Leaf and the CNG fueled Honda Civic GX[1].

First examining the Leaf, the EPA rates the Leaf as having 99 miles per gallon of gasoline equivalent of energy stored in the battery. Layering in an ambitious 93% charging efficiency of the Leaf’s battery and 50.8% thermal efficiency of a NGCC plant[2], 1GGE of NG fed into a combined cycle plant can only propel the Leaf 47 miles. Equivalently, 1000 cubic feet of natural gas can propel a Leaf 368 miles, assuming combined cycle power generation. With gas frequently on the margin of the power supply curve, this NGCC assumption is justified.

Moving on, despite its lighter curb weight the Honda Civic GX has an EPA rated 31 MPGge of range on natural gas. Even if we generously assume a perfectly efficient compressor stepping the gas up from interstate distribution pressures of 1100 psi to 3600 psi storage tanks, resulting in ~2% energy loss on a per unit of gas basis, the Civic is still only able to achieve 240 miles range per 1000 cubic feet of gas taken off the pipeline.

Simply put, electric vehicles offer over 53% more range per unit of pipeline gas.

[1] For a more complete table comparing the two vehicles refer to Appendix B – Table 2 on page 21 of Knittel’s piece

[2] National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) http://www.netl.doe.gov/energy-analyses/pubs/deskreference/B_NGCC_FClass_051607.pdf

Hmmm... They don't quote MPG or power output for these vehicles. Engine tuning for CNG compared to gasoline is better off optimized for one or the other. For instance, do they use the same compression ratio for both types of fuel? (CNG works better with higher compression.)
The article states that these are not electrically powered at all, rather just "bi-fuel" ICE vehicles that can switch from CNG to gasoline automatically when the CNG runs out.

This doesn't feel like a step forward. I think plug-in gas-electric hybrids would be a better solution. Among other things, with an electric hybrid system you get efficiency improvements from regen braking, engine auto stop at low speeds, etc. Efficiency is much better when running electric drive, and the home "refueling/recharging" is more simple with plug-in electric than with CNG.