Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Natural Gas vs Heat pumps for heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure we just let Boeing keep making their planes and the individual passengers just ride in the planes. Ultimately individuals don't have any power. So yeah, if the "we" in your sentence are individuals and community/groups; they've pretty much given up caring for flight and aerospace. "We" didn't do any fix.

Mega-corps and government-subsidized big-businesses own the consumer flight process. It's pretty much like what PG&E wants with energy where you live with what they cram in your face regardless if it kills you or not.

Not sure what you're trying to argue. There is no disaggregated airplane design or manufacturing to give consumers much choice. I saw some cool VTOL aircraft on StartEngine, but you know that's a lot of baloney.
I believe all of the planes were grounded for years until they were fixed.
Sounds like the community (government) acted to fix the problem.

Reactions: Zythryn
That instead of using a failed utility as some kind of proof that large utilities can't work we look into why that large utility is broken... and fix it.

I have no clue what we're even disagreeing about any more. Like what the heck. Can't we just agree that PG&E sucks and heat pumps are cool?

Anyway the change you and @mspohr are looking for may be coming from this new proceeding being pushed by recent CPUC appointee, Genevieve Shiroma. One of her agenda items is a modern grid and high Distributed Energy Resources future (DER). She sometimes calls them microgrids, but I guess we've determined tomato tomato.

If you all have the time/care, we can create a "TMC Modernization Coalition" (or TMC for short) and join the proceeding as an interested party in shaping California's clean-grid-future

I have no clue what we're even disagreeing about any more. Like what the heck. Can't we just agree that PG&E sucks and heat pumps are cool?

Until we actually elect some people who think PG&E is too big and needs to be knocked into pieces; it will continue to oppose any real/useful progress at re-purposing/re-inventing what the "Grid" is.

Can we also agree that it would be better to fix PG&E than to 'knock it into pieces'?

Can we also agree that it would be better to fix PG&E than to 'knock it into pieces'?
I don't know. PG&E has proven to be totally corrupt, greedy and incompetent. I don't think this private for-profit corporation which only seems interested in feathering its nest deserves to exist.
A public owned (or government owned) corporation would be more responsive to consumers.

A few months ago, we started building our retirement home. It will be fully electric house (has the gas line run into the house just for back up and future resellability).
It will have a Tesla solar roof with several PWs. HVAC will be Mitsubishi heat pump system.
Found out that you can get heat pump pool water heater using inverter technology similar to Mitsubishi from Canada.
Here is what we getting Heat Pumps – Pool & Spa Cost - Arctic Heat Pumps

A few months ago, we started building our retirement home. It will be fully electric house (has the gas line run into the house just for back up and future resellability).
It will have a Tesla solar roof with several PWs. HVAC will be Mitsubishi heat pump system.
Found out that you can get heat pump pool water heater using inverter technology similar to Mitsubishi from Canada.

Don't forget the 'other' water heater :)

You can even get a heat pump clothes dryer. Any modern heat pump system will use 1/4th the electricity as direct resistance heating.

Reactions: nwdiver
We are loving our Rheem 80g hybrid water heater. For the pool, our poolbuilder installed a Jandy heat pump. One additional benefit is it can cool the pool if it gets too warm in the summer. We've only done that once - ran it in chill mode overnight and it dropped a 25,000g pool a few degrees.

You can even get a heat pump clothes dryer. Any modern heat pump system will use 1/4th the electricity as direct resistance heating.
From where does it intake and exhaust? Intake from the house and exhaust outside?

It would be cool if you could switch it depending on season. In the summer you could have it pull in hot air from outside and exhaust cool air into the house. Then in the winter you would do the opposite.

From where does it intake and exhaust? Intake from the house and exhaust outside?

That's one of the perks. It doesn't have an exhaust. So it can be located in an interior room. Also a little bit of a downside since that condenser can get clogged but newer models have better designs.

Basically a closed cycle. Also another reason they're so efficient.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 11.15.33 PM.png

We are loving our Rheem 80g hybrid water heater. For the pool, our poolbuilder installed a Jandy heat pump. One additional benefit is it can cool the pool if it gets too warm in the summer. We've only done that once - ran it in chill mode overnight and it dropped a 25,000g pool a few degrees.
Jandy is an American heatpump I believe. It does not work well when temp drops below 40 F, as is the case with most heat pump. On the other hand, inverter HP that is used in cold weather countries like the Arctic model I posted above works well when it goes to -F.
We will see but I think anytime we can use HP, it is a win for the environment.

Jandy is an American heatpump I believe. It does not work well when temp drops below 40 F, as is the case with most heat pump. On the other hand, inverter HP that is used in cold weather countries like the Arctic model I posted above works well when it goes to -F.
We will see but I think anytime we can use HP, it is a win for the environment.
I've installed several Chiltrix air to water heat pumps and they work well below zero.