Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Naughty Tesla WWYD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i didn’t see that in your post. The below is from the Police and not hearsay or rumour. I wouldn’t drive the car. It’s the drivers responsibility to ensure the car is road legal. There are no exceptions and it’s down to the Police officer whether to enforce.

Police Officer: Any driver who drives a vehicle, whether it belongs to them or not, has a responsibility to ensure that they are insured to drive the vehicle, that the vehicle is fully road legal, taxed and MOT'd. If you are stopped by the police it is you as the driver who will face prosecution.
Yeah, which makes it even worse that they put me at risk and refuse to even acknowledge it

Yeah, which makes it even worse that they put me at risk and refuse to even acknowledge it
If you haven’t returned the car I would make them collect it. It’s out of order to put you at risk of prosecution ’if’ the Police wanted to enforce the law. You could report it if they refuse to apologise and possibly get them inspected. That’ll force them to acknowledge it!

Reactions: Neilio
Okay, I'm just stupid, but I have ZERO idea what the letters M-O-T stand for. This is why, when I'm writing, I spell it out at the beginning before I start using code words or secret letters. I guess I'll just move on to another post, hoping they will at least make sense.

Okay, I'm just stupid, but I have ZERO idea what the letters M-O-T stand for. This is why, when I'm writing, I spell it out at the beginning before I start using code words or secret letters. I guess I'll just move on to another post, hoping they will at least make sense.
MOT = Ministry of Transport and in this context means the annual road wordiness test that is undertaken on any vehicle that is 3 or more years old. One Google of “what does MOT stand for in cars” would have given you the answer.

You’re on the UK pages (United Kingdom) of this forum, and MOT is a very commonly used acronym, and in fact the only way a MOT test is referred to in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s similar to a SMOG test in Cali. Although far harder to pass as they check everything linked to safety. In the U.K. you need one after the car is 3-years old and then every 12-months.

The penalties can be harsh if you don’t have one on the vehicle when stopped by the police. It’s almost impossible to avoid as there’s a data base for insurance, MOT and Tax and the Police have access to it.

If you haven’t returned the car I would make them collect it. It’s out of order to put you at risk of prosecution ’if’ the Police wanted to enforce the law. You could report it if they refuse to apologise and possibly get them inspected. That’ll force them to acknowledge it!
Luckily they did come and collect the car so I didn't have to illegally drive it. It's the lack of acknowledgement that really gets me. No accountability at all and makes me worry they'll do the same to others.

Reactions: Undecided_2
The issue I find with Tesla is there is no accountability and no one to take the reigns when and if things go out of the norm - it's like the computer says no. This is a classic example in my opinion and apart from escalating to the service manager, not sure what other options would be left. Even then, I doubt you'll get anything done about it tbh but hopefully might prompt them to check the rest of the cars they loan out.

I wouldn't have thought to check mot - I have a loaner scheduled for next week, thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Neilio