Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav 8.0 - UI not made for driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the new UI as the icon bar was just a waste of space and the map fills that up nicely. Do I wish there were more NAV features? (waypoints, etc..) Yep, absolutely.

The UI though, is a really welcome change in 8.0 and really leverages the huge screen that we have. Tesla simply can't win, no matter what they do.

Interesting enough, the owners I know who don't participate in this community really like the 8.0 update. Every single one of them. Small sample size? Absolutely as there are 5 owners I know who have gotten 8 that aren't members here.

Jeff[/QUOTE

After using 8.0 and learning the new features, I like 8.0 and I am looking forward to 8.1. It is not perfect, but I continue to learn new ways to use it.

I had pretty much the exact opposite reaction to the new UI. I think the design overall is cleaner and a needed refresh. The top bar not showing is a good use of the space. This is how I set the navbar to work on my computer.

Also, I had the opposite experience with things being position closer to the left to make it easier for the driver to access. Examples are the navigation button on the map is on the far left. Also on the media player the song controls and like/dislike buttons are moved left and much easier to reach.
I haven't gone on a long trip yet with the new UI but currently I like it. Obviously many people don't but I think most of it is just personal preference and being used to doing it one way first and then having to change.
Really Tesla will never make everyone happy. Just like Malcolm Gladwell explains (Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce | TED Talk | TED.com) there isn't one perfect spaghetti sauce, there are many perfect spaghetti sauces. Most of these preferences could easily be handled by making them preferences in the App preferences page which has plenty of room for preferences. That would be my preference.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I haven't gone on a long trip yet with the new UI but currently I like it. Obviously many people don't but I think most of it is just personal preference and being used to doing it one way first and then having to change.
Really Tesla will never make everyone happy. Just like Malcolm Gladwell explains (Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce | TED Talk | TED.com) there isn't one perfect spaghetti sauce, there are many perfect spaghetti sauces. Most of these preferences could easily be handled by making them preferences in the App preferences page which has plenty of room for preferences. That would be my preference.
There is a difference between functional UI/UX design and personal preference. My complaint with 8.0 is that is does not function well.

Personal preference is what menu items you want to see, or the order in which you see them. Good UI/UX design is that irrespective of your preference, you can invoke the desired item with a minimum of distraction from your driving.

Really Tesla will never make everyone happy. Just like Malcolm Gladwell explains (Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce | TED Talk | TED.com) there isn't one perfect spaghetti sauce, there are many perfect spaghetti sauces. Most of these prefers could easily be handled by making them preferences in the App preferences page which has plenty of room for preferences.

That's a huge cop out. I don't have a preferred way of doing anything. I like the thing I'm doing to make sense.

Your sample must then consists exclusively out of owners who don't use the music player, which would make it a fairly esoterric outlier.

The map is nothing compared to the USB and Slacker problems with 8.0. (Other threads for that though.)

That would be incorrect but you're set in your decision that it's bad so no matter of response from me is going to change your position. I've asked about maps, music, etc... Nothing but thumbs up. Again to be clear, none of them use USB for music.

Jeff

I agree, it's a step backwards.

The play/pause/next buttons got smaller and are harder to hit while driving, and putting the artist / album / song names on the far right makes to impossible to read them while driving if you have bifocals.

The hoops it goes through so you end up with maps on top means you are fighting with the UI, and hiding the apps bar without permission (setting please) is bad form.

But the nice things about software is you can offer options.
Some cars like the new Panamera have a home screen where you can put what you want.
@31:55

others like the Mercedes E-Class offer several different styles for the dashbaord.

Sure Tesla has basically 2 huge widgets, but why not more options? Also why do they take away the last design instead of offering both? Why not let people keep the old speedo? Why not make it a option if you want the top icons to disappear. There is nothing stopping Tesla to have one interface that's more focused on usability and one that's more focused on design (e.g. 3D buttons vs. flat design).

I'm personally getting really tired of these useless UI changes (we've been through two major ones now) with very little accompanying actual functionality improvements. Browser still sucks. The Nav still doesn't give great directions and doesn't have standard options. My phone still periodically loses contact with the car (if I turn on/off Bluetooth on the phone, it comes back, but could this be fixed by better car software?).

And yeah, a lot of UI design is in the eye of the beholder, but I absolutely hate these two UI changes. Makes everything harder to read and use while looking cool and modern.

Like "Owner", I have been responsible for multiple major software-based systems, including products with considerably more software, complexity and user interfaces.

Consistently developing quality software requires planning and leadership focused on delivering "best in class" results.

Releasing poorly designed and inadequately tested software is an "unforced" error - something that can be avoided.

And, it's possible to deliver high quality software with a lot of useful functionality - on aggressive schedules. Something my project teams have consistently done.

I have one of the early Model S P85s (VIN 3xxx). The software issues have been a problem since the early releases - and among Tesla's early adopters, those of us with considerable experience in delivering quality software products have offered to do whatever we can to help Tesla improve this situation - and evidently they haven't taken any of us up on our offer to provide advice and assistance or to get us included in their limited beta testing program.

Model 3 owners are not as likely to be as forgiving - they're more likely to just want the software to work - and be stable.

If a Model 3 owner did a test drive in a car with the 8.0 software, I doubt they would buy the car. It's not very impressive right now - most of the time the Google map display has huge empty blocks - plus all of the UI issues with trying to use the display while driving.

I had a potential owner visiting recently - and Tesla probably lost that sale because of the poor impression of the onboard software.

Tesla - is anyone listening??? Please do something about this? And please take advantage of your current owner community - who want to help you be successful - and build us better software and cars in the future!!!

If a Model 3 owner did a test drive in a car with the 8.0 software, I doubt they would buy the car. It's not very impressive right now - most of the time the Google map display has huge empty blocks - plus all of the UI issues with trying to use the display while driving.

I had a potential owner visiting recently - and Tesla probably lost that sale because of the poor impression of the onboard software.

Tesla - is anyone listening??? Please do something about this? And please take advantage of your current owner community - who want to help you be successful - and build us better software and cars in the future!!!

I disagree, I think the v8.0 UI is exactly what the average Model 3 buyer is going to want.

Opinions on software design are, by nature, going to be all over the map. I think we all can agree that depreciating functionality shouldn't have happened. While I have a very strong positive opinion on v8, the reality that some of you lost something isn't lost on me. I 100% agree that shouldn't have happened and I hope Tesla corrects it's mistakes on that front.

However, with regards to the UI itself, absolute home run from my seat. I really love the new utilization of the main screen, among other welcome changes. Just based on this communities reaction, I'm clearly in the minority here. I get that. However, I think this community should take a moment to realize that it's only a very small slice of the Tesla ownership group. As I've said in other posts, I know 5 Tesla owners who aren't members of this board who all really like v8 (as I've also said before, none use USB music sources).

Does Tesla need to restore all functionality lost from 7.1 to 8? Yes, without question or doubt or argument, yes. Does Tesla need to completely rewrite the UI again? No, absolutely not.

Jeff

Reactions: RedP85+
I just got done with a 900 mile trip. Overall, 8.0 is awesome. I had none of the AP problems I've been reading about here. It was a huge improvement (but I don't use the media, so YMMV). I am happy I updated, and cheers to the Tesla team!

However, the map is a HUGE step backward. Having to tap the map to enable basic user interactions is a big screw up. Want to zoom? Tap.. wait... +/- controls appear and everything shifts down... wait, where was everything again?... and then map shifts back up again before I can respond. Need a satellite view when trying to find a supercharger location in heavy traffic? Where should I turn, this light or the next?.. tap.. wait for controls to come up... wait... light's green now... satellite view please... still waiting, but gotta move... oh, that driveway I just passed!? Crap, circle around!

The map is the most time-crucial, interactive part of the UI. It is of high value in a high-traffic, high-stress situations. I don't care about gaining 1 inch of mapping area at the periphery, which is the least important part of the whole display. Just stop hiding my UI controls. I am not on an iPad in my living room

Everything else was great, but using the new map was like roping a calf.

The new aesthetic is great.

The bad: The larger map with the buttons auto-hiding seems like something that Elon would have wanted that the rest of us don't want. There was never a problem with map space and the button ribbon on top actually was a nice signal to new passengers that there are no physical buttons in the car ... just a nice touch. The chunky draw rates when the ribbon auto-hides is just embarrassing so let's not do that.

- K

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Between the double tap for the menu and the autopilot being worse at keeping the middle of the lane I am not a fan of 8.0. Would roll back to previous version if possible.
Same here. For me it's:
1) tap map to get to buttons
Which I have to do a lot because:
2) they removed audio source selection from the right steering wheel which is by far the biggest WTF and makes me curse every time I try to listen to anything different than what's currently playing
And honorable mention:
3) the left steering wheel controls now cycles through favorites across all audio sources instead of just the source you're currently on.

Really hard to believe how they could've do e this intentionally