Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAV audio suddenly stuttering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Happens one to two times a week and requires rebooting the main screen. When it occurs, everything else gets incredibly slow too. The UI takes seconds to respond to any touch. Has only been happening since v7.0.

I'm getting it too. The NAV will sometimes just stop mid-sentence when giving audio instructions. I get the Slacker stutter too. Only since v7 and re-booting doesn't seem to fix it for me. I don't seem to get the lagginess with the UI, however.

On the 2 or 3 occasions when this happened to me, I later realized that new software was being downloaded. WIthin the next 24 hours or so, a message popped up saying that I had a new release. One of those times it was new maps.

My MS has had the occasional stuttering problem with both Nav speech and Audio (USB is where I've noticed it) since 2.13.77, if not before. I've generally resolved it with the 2-button 17" reboot.

I reported it to my SC when I was there a few days ago. Issue was reported as due to memory constraints on the CID. SC performed a hard reset on the 17" to resolve it, as well as to address my general slow-down/unresponsive problem I've been having with my CID. The SC said if it happens again, I should note the date/time of the problem and report it soon thereafter to the SC so they can look in my logs. They found a couple of historical places in my log where I had CID memory constraints, but as to if it correlates to the stuttering problem, IDK. I questioned if this memory problem could perhaps be caused by my having too many songs on my USB stick (which IMHO have to consume memory somewhere for the audio menu system to operate, and MS does not seem to have a limit on the number of songs it will accept like my former Lexus and MBZ both had, so I bet there is an issue, and why I've more recently cut the number of USB songs down by 50% to about 6K), and my SA's response was "perhaps". ;)

Last edited:
Noticed it too w internet radio. We just moved to an area w really poor cellular service. Figured it was that.

Also at one point voice controls didn't work. Once we got to our house where we have wifi, no problem.

FYI - I complained about this very thing to my service center today. They immediately said to remove the USB stick and to not leave it in all the time, which I thought was an dumb thing to do with such a smart car. Apparently the reloading of all the songs will make the dash stutter and sometimes crash. Regardless, i'll keep the key out of the USB port and see if this happens again. I'm 95% certain it will. :(

FYI - I complained about this very thing to my service center today. They immediately said to remove the USB stick and to not leave it in all the time, which I thought was an dumb thing to do with such a smart car. Apparently the reloading of all the songs will make the dash stutter and sometimes crash. Regardless, i'll keep the key out of the USB port and see if this happens again. I'm 95% certain it will. :(
If you have only a few tracks on that USB stick, perhaps you can get yourself into the habit of removing the USB Stick before you exit your MS every time. It won't be so bad to then put it back in and wait for MS to search your USB stick before it allows you to play any USB songs the next time you want to. ;) Unfortunately, I'm not that good at remembering to always remove my USB stick before I turn my MS off each time -- as I prefer listening to my own non-streamed music 99.9% of the time I'm in my MS. Having lived with hardwired, effectively permanent iPod Classics containing my entire music library in each of my previous vehicles for years, dies hard.

For those of us with thousands of songs on our USB sticks, the workaround the Service Center recommended to you IMHO isn't so great. It can sometimes take more than 15 minutes for my MS to scan my USB stick with ~6K songs before any track is allowed to play (I stopped timing it). That's simply an unreasonable workaround and period of silence to me, as I use my MS most days for errands around town where the destination may be just 10-25 minutes away. As much as it annoys me, I decided weeks ago to keep my USB stick plugged in 100% of the time and live with the other Phantom Playing problem that then causes -- and the additional 2-3 miles of vampire drain that results in most days.

Despite other's observations and comments, I have found that keeping my Nav History and Web bookmarks to a minimum, along with keeping the number of tracks on my USB stick around 5-7K (opposed to 15K+) has reduced, but NOT eliminated, the amount of stuttering I have with Nav and Media Player sources, as well as the number of reboots I've been doing because of freezes and unresponsive situations on my 17" CID. Perhaps it's all coincidence or just in my mind -- I can't be sure -- but I'm sticking with my perception of what seems to reduce problems for me, by keeping my own USB stick plugged-in nearly all the time.​

I look forward to hearing if you find eliminating all USB music makes a difference. :D Sigh. It would be so much better if Elon would simply prioritize resolving the acknowledged bugs Tesla has with Infotainment -- especially USB Audio -- and make a bunch of us happier owners each and every time we drive or think about our best toys.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow