TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NAV Estimated Remaining Miles or Battery %

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jtrader, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

Now that Tesla is trying to simply things for the masses by stating the range of the car as opposed to the battery size, do you think on the NAV they will show the estimated remaining miles at the destination as opposed to the estimated remaining battery % (current way)?

2. Maaz

Maaz Member

I wish they showed both.

• Like x 1
  3. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Proud and Grinning Model S90D owners

I think what they are doing is a good move.

Can't make things too simple.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the car is capable of showing one or the other depending oh how you set it

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

I've looked everywhere and I can't find where to change it from percentage to miles on my Model S. Where should I look?

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

control panel?

• Like x 1
  7. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

Don't see it on mine. Can you show me a screen shot of yours?

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I could but I'm not in a position to get it done now.

9. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Proud and Grinning Model S90D owners

Control panel then Settings

10. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

Still don't see it on my MS. It looks like at least two others have it. Was it included on your latest update? I'd love to see a screen shot.

Thanks,

11. fEVer

fEVer Member

Control panel/settings/units

12. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

Remaining miles at destination still shows as a percentage instead of miles. See pic.

Nav1.jpg

13. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

If they currently show remaining battery as a percentage even if you have your main battery display set to rated miles I'm guessing it will be the same for the Model 3. It's not like they are displaying kWh's or anything.

14. fEVer

fEVer Member

15. gregd

gregd Active Member

I think it should display one or the other dynamically, depending on the situation. Show % charge coarsely (like the battery icon on your laptop) when above a certain level, or when distance to the next SC is in not jeopardy. Below that threshold, show miles.

My logic is that we rarely had range anxiety in our ICEs, only partly because we had sufficient range. The other reason was that the car had a "blunt instrument" in the gas gauge, a thick needle on a poorly marked scale. Our EVs are now capable of a sufficient range that we really don't need to worry about it, so the constant reminder of exactly how many miles we have left is probably causing more anxiety than it solves. Out of sight, out of mind (in a good way).

Now, when you're getting low on charge, as when we got low on gas, accuracy and precision are big helps in the management of the vehicle. In the ICE we still had the blunt instrument on the dash (though some cars got creative with a second needle that popped up when you were below 1/8 tank), and the accuracy in reading how much juice was sloshing around in the tank was never very good to begin with. With our EVs and their instrumentation we're far ahead in that department. When it counts - when things get tight - we should play that to the driver's advantage, and show the estimated range remaining, along with distance to the next charging stop. Also, the appearance of the remaining range as something different on the screen (vs just the icon) draws attention to the situation, making it less likely for someone to get stranded.

16. fEVer

fEVer Member

I misread the question, sorry. No, there isn't a way to change to distance remaining at destination.