Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav knows onramp closings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Monday I turn onto the street where the freeway onramp is, and the onramp is closed. So i double back and go to the next one.

Tuesday my nav routes me to the other onramp. I think, is this because my normal onramp is still closed? Does it know it's closed?

Today I kind of ignore the nav, until the first turn, where it notices I've gone the wrong way. Because again, it's routing me away from this onramp, which is still closed.

Is this new behavior? I know I've gone to my normal onramp before and found it's closed, and the nav didn't seem to route me a different way.

An onramp closed for 3 days would seem like a planned thing, and maybe it got onto the traffic data?

It happened to me as well, except on local traffic. The street close to my home was closed off, so the GPS actually routed me away from it to it's best abilities. I kept ignoring it until I reached the street and saw the "CLOSED STREET" sign, and even then the GPS would keep nagging me to follow the correct route... Honestly I think it's a great feature.

I don't think it knows it's closed, it is just that street has no vehicle data, or no vehicles can go through, for a while and NAV assumes there is something going on there and route you to a different road. Once there is data again, it will route you through there.
It’s a very rarely used road and it routed me fine the day prior... you think it’d pick up on that in less than 24hrs, especially considering there isn’t always a Tesla driving on every road? If so, that would be pretty awesome...

The 3's nav is really good. We went to LA last weekend, and at the beginning it had us going on the 405, but by the time we got there it had rerouted us because the 405 was a parking lot. Of course, most of the freeways were congested (I asked 1 thing of the wife, I do not want to hit LA at rush hour, just 1 simple request... /cry) at that time. But it was pretty awesome since I didn't cancel and reroute which I used to have to do with my other nav systems.

I believe that the information is delivered along with traffic data. Every GPS I've used that has included traffic data also updates on road closures, assuming that the road closure is 'known' by the traffic authority. Both my previous Mazda and Subaru with NAV/traffic would show roads highlighted in red if they were closed for construction.