TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Nav Location Issue with 8.0

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mike K, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Mike K

Mike K Member

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    So with previous versions you used to be able to search destinations by keyword in a map area of your choosing. So if I was in Hollywood and meeting a customer in Orange County I could move the map to that area, search for a Starbucks and then find all the Starbucks around them.

With 8.0 if I move the map to another area and then search for something it automatically reverts back to my current location and just shows me results around me.

It seems like a simple oversight but it drastically reduces the functionality of the navigation system for me. Now I have to find a place on my phone and then punch the address in on the car.

Am I just doing it wrong or are others noticing this as well?
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Mateo, CA
    Really? I was not aware of that feature.
  3. msnow

msnow Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    It works in 8.0 maybe even better than 7.x. I use a different method than you but I just validated that it works. Examples:
    "Navigate to Starbucks in Hollywood" shows me a long list of Starbucks in Hollywood and West Hollywood, CA.
    "Navigate to restaurants in Santa Ana" shows a long list of restaurants in Santa Ana, CA.
    "Navigate to restaurants near me" shows restaurants near my GPS location.

I use the third method a lot while driving along a route or when reaching a destination. I use the first two if I'm planning to meet people at a restaurant (or anything for that matter) that is not near my current location. Even with 7.x I was never able to move the map and search a specific area. It would always revert to my actual GPS location so I discovered this method which works quite well.
    • Informative x 1