Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav/Map update EU-2022.12-13877

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
high priority fix to disable automatic merging and exiting from motorways

Anything possible with software, depending on Design and Build, but I would be surprised if "Merge" wasn't an attribute of the map data and as such could just be disabled in software - rather than needing a Map Update.

having correct speed limits in my map data

That will be down to the quality / accuracy of the source from where Tesla get their data. I dunno if there are multiple sources available for such info, and how other Brands fare by comparison? Just reading the speed signs would help! particularly with temporary signs / variable speed limits. The original Mobile Eye AP I had back in 2015 was able to do that ...

If EAP causes an issue, I would happily pay for it and collect our car without knowing it will be added later when the software update is ready

My take on this is that is such an obvious solution that if the cause was pending-software-update to disable some EAP features, then Tesla would already have done this. Seems unlikely they want inventory taking up parking spaces, and not being converted into cash. So I figure something else is in the mix.

not allowing merge at junctions, I had EAP on my previous car and never came across that as a feature.

"Take the exit" is a NoA feature - IME it signals very late indeed, and (in effect) immediately takes the exit.

Dunno about merge though ... when I have one of those I normally signal and the outcome is a bit uncertain! I'm always expecting that I'm going to have to take control, but it does work some of the time, but I'm not sure that is any different to changing lanes - i.e. it might be that some road markings are compliant, and others confuse it. But it could also be the presence / absence of appropriate "merge data" on the map ... hadn't thought of that until now.

Reactions: Overworked
I have seen reported in several places that the problem is with NOA making the automatic exit at a junction and that this is in some way a breach of the permitted regulations. It only affects anybody who has purchased EAP or FSD.

It would certainly be a problem if a vehicle was sold with an ability that would presumably mean that it did not comply with the certificate of conformity etc that shows it is legal in the jurisdiction, but presumably they could "turn off" the facility to use EAP and FSD in the same way that they can turn it on as an after market purchase and even as a 48hour test drive incentive? So I therefore don't see it affecting deliveries at all. There will be a software update for all affected vehicles OTA.

EAP does exits on slip roads automatically I think. I always found that odd in videos as lane changes to overtake require you to use the indicator so leaving motorways heading straight for potentially a roundabout at 70mph with little notice to the driver always felt strange.

I find the motorway automatic join/exit behaviour absolutely crazy with aggressive swerving and generally unnatural behaviour. I don’t know if our on/off ramps are so differently designed that the American code simply can’t get its head around them, but personally I disable AP when merging and when approaching my exit. It’s a real pity, as I benefit from almost none of the FSD features I’ve paid for, but at least I do use the semi-automatic lane changes! Well, when not trying to move from lane 3 to 2 with a lorry in lane 1…

Reactions: Obliter8
at least I do use the semi-automatic lane changes!

I find the suggested lane changes surprising.

Following a car (more likely a queue ...) in outside lane, well below my cruise set-speed, inside lane clear ... get the "move to inside lane" suggestion.

Just coming up to an on-ramp ... same

Cones on my side of the road (either side) get "Move away from cones" suggestion. Never considered that cones were a threat before!

@Overworked @Coinneach Cìr

Can you provide any feedback on the new maps? I've got these downloading now but would appreciate some opinions before choosing to install.

Thanks!
Sorry, I've only driven a short distance near the house since installing. I'm driving to Aberdeen today and will be using the navigation so will let you know if I see any difference.

Reactions: Medved_77
Just a comment on the “reading speed signs” above. Be careful what you wish for, the Zoe I had before had this and it was rubbish, often picking up on the wrong sign eg a 20mph on a side road and then moaning at me that I was over the limit.

Just a comment on the “reading speed signs” above. Be careful what you wish for, the Zoe I had before had this and it was rubbish, often picking up on the wrong sign eg a 20mph on a side road and then moaning at me that I was over the limit.
This already happened. After I pass 30 mph sign, Tesla, will read the 20 mph.

Attachments

• 20220602_073806.jpg
    20220602_073806.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 73
It’s pretty common.
at a local crossroads the limit for the side roads is 30, the main road 60
car sees off limit sign at the end of one side road and displays 60.
pullout and turn onto main road but car sees 30 sign on side road opposite and displays 30 until passing an off limit repeater!

I am waiting until the sign for lorry speed restrictions is ignored in the car. In Scotland “A” roads are limited to 40mph for HGV’s, and the car recognises the 40 and applies that to AP, so AP is not much use on “A” roads.

The thing that gets me with the Nav updates is that in driving previously faulty sections I often find their map editors fix most segments but usually forget one, so Speed Assist limit still drops and needs to be accelerated through to actual. Despite passing the absence of such a sign, daily. It's like the ghost of previous speed limits live on virtually, e.g. A1074 Dereham Road westbound after Britannia Way. Took a look yesterday in-car, but so far no update.