Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav/Map update EU-2022.12-13877

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I got the map update, and now the whole UI on the right is *much* busier, and for the first time ever (in close to 3 years ownership) I had a "automatic correction because you are drifting out of your lane" big red alert on my London zone 3 road (20mph limit)! So it's like the map update has changed the classification of the road somehow? Note I am still on 2022.12.3.2 (since 30/04). When I say the UI is busier, it now shows double lines on the left, single broken line on the right, stop signs, any/all perpendicular lines on the road, it interpreted a crossing yellow light as an amber traffic light, it's seeing bins everywhere, pedestrians and motorbikes everywhere, way more aggressive and persistent yellow and red "protection" lines around the car. It's so weird, it's like it's a whole new experience, and the OS itself hasn't updated! Very very odd.

No FSD by the way.

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
I've seen places with the new 2022 Nav where the speed limits seem to derive from TomTom's iQ routing analysis of typical vehicle speeds. Consequently there are sections of 40 mph shown on a section of road that has been 30 mph for 10 years, just because that's where vehicles speed beyond limit before being slowed by traffic. Also a 60 mph on a section of urban dual carriageways no higher than 40/50 since last update. In theory that may lead to better routing choices, but worse performing outcomes when driven legally when AP overrides database from signage.

Last edited:
Satnav routing is pretty bad sometimes - it'll go down back streets to shave 10 seconds off rather than use the perfectly good main road. I've been routed through school runs, roads you can barely get down with something the size of a tesla.. so if I know anything about the area at all I take its route as a mere suggestion and go the sensible route instead. It's not a tesla specific thing - I've never had a satnav that wouldn't occasionally go nuts - it's likely just a hard problem to solve.

Reactions: Roy B
Regarding speed limits, I really can't wait for the EU Intelligent Speed Assist regulations to come in. I know a lot of people are miffed that either a limiter or a speed limit alert (manufacturer's choice) must default to on at the start of each drive.

But the key thing in these regulations is the speed limit display (which can be based on traffic sign recognition, map data, or most likely a combination of both). The key thing is that there will be specific minimum accuracy thresholds as to the percentage of time that the speed limit is displayed correctly, that all cars must meet. IMO the requirements don't set a particularly high bar, but I suspect that even then many/most manufacturers will still have quite a lot of work to do to make their speed limit display reliable enough to pass.

Regarding speed limits, I really can't wait for the EU Intelligent Speed Assist regulations to come in. I know a lot of people are miffed that either a limiter or a speed limit alert (manufacturer's choice) must default to on at the start of each drive.

But the key thing in these regulations is the speed limit display (which can be based on traffic sign recognition, map data, or most likely a combination of both). The key thing is that there will be specific minimum accuracy thresholds as to the percentage of time that the speed limit is displayed correctly, that all cars must meet. IMO the requirements don't set a particularly high bar, but I suspect that even then many/most manufacturers will still have quite a lot of work to do to make their speed limit display reliable enough to pass.

I would hope local governments would be working from the other end too in order to ensure better placement and direction of signs installed.

That could just be latency in the display. Doesn’t mean the computer didn’t see the sign 1 second previously.

I do think the car isn’t brilliant at reading the signs (plenty of mis- reads) but I’m confident I’ve seen it do it.

Whether the car chooses to set the speed based on the sign it sees is another matter.