Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav map updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The displayed Nav GPS map is over 3 years old. I can tell because we moved into our new home 3+ years ago and the displayed map shows our subdivision still under construction. I see this same issue all over as I drive as we have had a building boom in the last 4 years.

I don't know exactly what Tesla do for their background map, whether they host their own (and update on their schedule) or buy Google, Bing or other. What I can say though is that looking at Google Maps and Bing Maps, the aerial image around my house is at least one year, maybe two or more years old. It costs a fortune to fly everywhere and update the maps so even the big players don't do it every year.

I don't know exactly what Tesla do for their background map, whether they host their own (and update on their schedule) or buy Google, Bing or other. What I can say though is that looking at Google Maps and Bing Maps, the aerial image around my house is at least one year, maybe two or more years old. It costs a fortune to fly everywhere and update the maps so even the big players don't do it every year.
(It’s satellite imagery)

Reactions: X-pilot
I think google is roughly one year behind current state. We moved into our new home in a new subdivision almost 7 years ago and just for fun I kept track to see how long it took for them to show my home. It was about a year after we moved in that I could view it.

(It’s satellite imagery)
Yeah, I guess there's a lot of that now. A sister company of where I worked a while ago was doing that for a living, flying planes to capture aerial photos, used to create maps. I guess satellites have gotten more precise since then :)
Still, there must be a cost to getting up to date satellite pictures. General map providers don't necessarily need updated representations of the whole world continuously. I expect that maps in my car could be 1 year old. The most important aspect is the roads, and I would love for them to update that more regularly but even roads don't change that often.

Reactions: Iflyprops
The maps (tiles) you see on your Tesla's display come from Google Maps. If you go to maps.google.com from your computer do you see the same thing?

The displayed Nav GPS map is over 3 years old. I can tell because we moved into our new home 3+ years ago and the displayed map shows our subdivision still under construction. I see this same issue all over as I drive as we have had a building boom in the last 4 years.

Your car's navigation actually uses Tesla proprietary maps based upon OSM and/or TomTom and/or ???. It's a bit convoluted.

If you're inclined, you can start entering map data in your neighborhood and it'll propagate to the big databases and make its way to your car's navigation.

And our address isn't available yet either, after 3+ years??? Oh well, it's a 1st world problem.

Is it possible to select your address and navigate to it? In that case your Tesla is not using Google for navigation but OSM, Mapbox or TomTom

I'm curious how the Tesla map gets updated too. There's a road on my commute that opened up over a year go. Waze shows it open and uses it for routing, but Tesla will not. AFAIK, Waze is Google based.

The Tesla map and navigation are out-of-date.
Case in point, about 5 months ago, the exit to I16 E from I75 S has changed, exit is now on the right instead of being on the left. Google map and Waze map were updated within days (or hours?) of the change. Tesla map and navigation are still wrong, it will direct you to a concrete wall.

A new road (4-lane divided road connecting two major arterials) opened up in our area about six months ago; it shows on the map display, but the standard navigation will NOT route using it; it’s as if it doesn’t exist for Tesla’s nav. Apple Maps could use it within a day of the opening. Fixing crap like this should be very high on Tesla’s priority list, not fluff like games and more fart noises 😖

It's definitely NOT based on Google. I often run both the Tesla navigation and Google maps on my phone. Google is ALWAYS more up to date, and gets me there faster. Always. No exceptions. I don't know which mapping program Tesla uses, but it's not nearly as good as Google, but I'll bet it's cheaper.

Reactions: DarthStar
It looks like a new navigation map update is being rolled out in North America (Version NA-2021.44-13555). Some have reported getting it. This update apparently is done in the background with no notice except on the car's software tab when downloading/updating. Does anyone know how Telsa determines which cars and on what schedule this new update is deployed?

I just checked & I’m still on NA-2020.48-12628. I don’t use nav much in my limited driving around, and haven’t experienced any anomalies yet, but I’d still like to have the latest greatest.