Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav Needs update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We cannot use the Nav system at present. It says "Navigation data needs updating. Please connect car to Wifi".

The thing is, the car is connected to wifi. I even went to the settings and re-entered the password. There is a little green tick next to our wifi name, so it looks like it is connected.

Is there anyway to push or force the update, or does this require a call to Tesla.

It is a 2014 Model S with premium connectivity.

Reactions: hcdavis3
You could open a ticket with the moble app to have them push it but this is what I would do first...

Make sure you have strong wifi signal, at least 2 bars on the wifi indicator, then reboot the computer by pushing in the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel. Once the computer reboots open up that Software screen to see if the update starts downloading after a few minutes. I think the strong wifi signal is key to it updating.

Pretty common problem. Due to the size of the file. 7.3 GB, it will not always download the entire file at once if, for example, you cancel by starting a trip. Then it does not always work to start the update from where it was interrupted. Contact Tesla for a restart.

So, this morning it started downloading just after I woke up. As soon as it finished downloading we pressed install and about an hour later it appeared to have installed properly. However, still the same error message and no nav. I have an appointment at the "local" (50 miles / 80 kms away) first thing tomorrow morning, although I will check the Nav tonight just in case it magically starts working during the day.

No, not sure at all. I had assumed, possibly incorrectly, that as this was the first time that it had downloaded anything for months, and that it was first thing in the morning, when I had booked a service the evening before, it was somehow related.
Cannot give you the nav version at present as the car is currently out.

Update for anyone interested. Now booked into Tesla for tomorrow for a new sim card at £200
Will also get the MCU changed under the recall at the same time.

Honestly, if I were you I would suggest the Infotainment upgrade, especially if your Instrument cluster was bubbling (the screen behind the steering wheel) or you had the yellow border around your main screen. for 1300 more you could have a completely refreshed and snappy in car experience. I had the recall done on my car and it did fix most of the freezes and most the corrupted graphics but the performance was still the same slow/slugish. Also, I have a feeling that MCU1 (Older than 2017, non-upgraded cars) computers are going to be left far far behind with updates/features/games if that is something you look forward to.

This was my impressions after the upgrade: Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

Reactions: Huskyf
Just checked their e-mail. The eMMC is being replaced and upgraded from 8GB to 64 GB under the recall. I am paying for supply / purchase of a new sim card.
I assume that isn't the MCU2 upgrade then? I will talk to them tomorrow about it, but it won't be this month for cash flow reasons. It is having a pair of Pilot Sport 4 S tyres fitted on Friday and next I need to replace the front discs/rotors and pads.

Just checked their e-mail. The eMMC is being replaced and upgraded from 8GB to 64 GB under the recall. I am paying for supply / purchase of a new sim card.
I assume that isn't the MCU2 upgrade then? I will talk to them tomorrow about it, but it won't be this month for cash flow reasons. It is having a pair of Pilot Sport 4 S tyres fitted on Friday and next I need to replace the front discs/rotors and pads.

You are correct, this isnt the MCU2 upgrade: You wont see any noticable improvement in performance. The eMMC upgrade from 8 to 64GB is for the recall so that the memory wont fill up and degrade over time and stop working all together (That's an over simplification of the explanation).

When I go to the App and click on upgrades, it says my car has everything available.

I will talk to them about it tomorrow, but it won't be this month in any event.
I don't know why they decided to do it this way, but it won't show up under the 'upgrades' section. When you schedule a service appointment with there app there is a section in there that lists the infotainment upgrade as a service option. Weird, I know.