Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAV: No on the fly rerouting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I actually used my Nav system to plot a route to a restaurant about 53 miles away. It plotted a very strange route out of my town which made no sense. It was going to take me on a 6 mile odyssey to a freeway on ramp when I have one just 2 miles away. So I tried to bring up routing options like fastest, shortest, etc as I can do in my Honda. And to my horror those options don't exist! WTF? This is a cutting edge vehicle and the NAV system is 1990 technology? It will not even let me choose an alternate route if there is a construction detour! Come on Tesla, my daughters $99 Garmin unit with the suction cup does all these things and more! Feeling discouraged...

Reactions: Blastphemy
So I tried to bring up routing options like fastest, shortest, etc as I can do in my Honda. And to my horror those options don't exist!
This has been discussed repeatedly on TMC in multiple threads over the past several years, and is generally (but not universally) known among Tesla owners.

My suggestion is to use the Waze app on your phone, as it is very good at figuring out the shortest/quickest route and has amazingly accurate real time information about traffic, accidents, construction, road closures, etc.

Tesla makes the best cars in the world, in my opinion. That does not mean they are perfect nor does it mean they have every feature that other cars have. Yes there is room for improvement. And yes, I know you said that your "Honda" offers routing options, making it clear that even a low cost car a third or less than the price of a Tesla has that feature. Again, this has been stated over and over again on TMC. You are not the first person to discover it.

I am certain that Tesla is aware of the deficiencies in the onboard navigation. But you are welcome to communicate your "horror" to Tesla.

This has been discussed repeatedly on TMC in multiple threads over the past several years, and is generally (but not universally) known among Tesla owners.

My suggestion is to use the Waze app on your phone, as it is very good at figuring out the shortest/quickest route and has amazingly accurate real time information about traffic, accidents, construction, road closures, etc.

Tesla makes the best cars in the world, in my opinion. That does not mean they are perfect nor does it mean they have every feature that other cars have. Yes there is room for improvement. And yes, I know you said that your "Honda" offers routing options, making it clear that even a low cost car a third or less than the price of a Tesla has that feature. Again, this has been stated over and over again on TMC. You are not the first person to discover it.

I am certain that Tesla is aware of the deficiencies in the onboard navigation. But you are welcome to communicate your "horror" to Tesla.

Thanks. I am a new owner (end of August) and only 1,500 miles so I am in the learning curve/discovery process that I am sure you went through when you first got yours. I will admit I have no idea what has been discussed on this forum many times in the past since I am new to the forum as well. I will get myself up to speed as quickly as possible. Thanks for working with me..

Reactions: TacC and Blastphemy
The routing is often illogical and time consuming. I use Waze. I've also found that even with the same routing as Waze, the Tesla ETA is significantly longer at the start of the trip. Waze is always more accurate and Tesla catches up as you get close to your destination. Other than a big screen and showing Superchargers, Waze is far superior in every way.

Having my X for ten days, I made a 2000 miles holiday trip through France and Italy. I had a very good overall experience (charging, driving etc.).
But the Navigation system was leading me 3 times to nowhere: once in dead-end trail, once in a brook bed ...

How will Tesla have a autonomous car driving cross USA in a year with this navigation system?:oops:

The routing is often illogical and time consuming. I use Waze. I've also found that even with the same routing as Waze, the Tesla ETA is significantly longer at the start of the trip. Waze is always more accurate and Tesla catches up as you get close to your destination. Other than a big screen and showing Superchargers, Waze is far superior in every way.
Do you use the Waze app on a smart phone or ipad in the car?

Tesla knows about the Nav issue but either has no technical knowledge or capability to fix it or doesn't think it's as important as we do. As @ecarfan has suggested, use one of your phones apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze) for the most accurate routing.

Tesla knows about the Nav issue but either has no technical knowledge or capability to fix it or doesn't think it's as important as we do. As @ecarfan has suggested, use one of your phones apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze) for the most accurate routing.
I read Tesla's position a little differently. Tesla seems to like to build things from the ground up, and add their touch (design and engineering) to everything. They seem to prefer to leave "holes" in their products until they have the time to do it right. Kind of like Apple not having cut and paste until they figured out a good UI.

Better navigation is easy to add later on via a OTA update. Since they mostly use Google maps and Google owns Waze, I figure it would be easy to eventually have Waze-powered navigation.

However, I found it very interesting on the last shareholder call (Oct 26) that the Tesla team went quiet after a particular question on the collection of detailed map information. After a long silence, Elon came back and said they had no further comment and then Jeff Evanson interjected to say, "stay tuned for future new product announcements".

I suspect that Tesla is collecting lots of detailed navigation information, and at some point they may try to monetize it and/or utilize it in a new way. Furthermore, since all vehicles are connected, they could incorporate vehicle-to-vehicle communication or at the very least anonymously collecting traffic data from the Tesla fleet.

Either way, I suspect that Tesla is working on a better navigation system that when released will be better than anything else out there. It may just need more development time and/or more data collection before it's ready to roll out.

Reactions: Nismode
I read Tesla's position a little differently. Tesla seems to like to build things from the ground up, and add their touch (design and engineering) to everything. They seem to prefer to leave "holes" in their products until they have the time to do it right. Kind of like Apple not having cut and paste until they figured out a good UI.

Better navigation is easy to add later on via a OTA update. Since they mostly use Google maps and Google owns Waze, I figure it would be easy to eventually have Waze-powered navigation.

However, I found it very interesting on the last shareholder call (Oct 26) that the Tesla team went quiet after a particular question on the collection of detailed map information. After a long silence, Elon came back and said they had no further comment and then Jeff Evanson interjected to say, "stay tuned for future new product announcements".

I suspect that Tesla is collecting lots of detailed navigation information, and at some point they may try to monetize it and/or utilize it in a new way. Furthermore, since all vehicles are connected, they could incorporate vehicle-to-vehicle communication or at the very least anonymously collecting traffic data from the Tesla fleet.

Either way, I suspect that Tesla is working on a better navigation system that when released will be better than anything else out there. It may just need more development time and/or more data collection before it's ready to roll out.
I hope you're right BUT it's been like this since 2012 and they "promised" Nav would be addressed in 7.0, then 7.1 then 8.0 and now 8.1. I think it makes more sense that their team doesn't know how to integrate offline maps with Google online maps or that they are focused on what will sell more cars e.g. Autosteer, Summon, Autopark, etc, and less focused on tools we need such as Nav, Media Player and Trip Planner (still Beta).

If you're talking about the detailed maps they've been building for AP I don't believe those are intended for or useful for turn-by-turn Navigation but I'm not positive.

The on the fly rerouting does work albeit not in a manner most people are accustomed too. The Nav will reroute you based upon traffic congestion. I discovered it accidentally when it rerouted me to exit a freeway, take a local road for 6 miles, and then rejoin the same freeway. It ended up saving me 20 minutes. I'm not sure if this is Nav functionality or Google functionality nonetheles I was pleased with it. In 8.0, I noticed there was an option to set a floor on the time saved before it would reroute.

I hope you're right BUT it's been like this since 2012 and they "promised" Nav would be addressed in 7.0, then 7.1 then 8.0 and now 8.1. I think it makes more sense that their team doesn't know how to integrate offline maps with Google online maps or that they are focused on what will sell more cars e.g. Autosteer, Summon, Autopark, etc, and less focused on tools we need such as Nav, Media Player and Trip Planner (still Beta).
I think it's the latter. Tesla goes for the shiny objects that differentiates it from other cars. Saying we now have an improved navigation, or a faster browser, or a media player that doesn't suck won't get the attention that Autopilot, Summon, or self-driving does.

Reactions: msnow
To add to it all, I'm fairly sure the routing logic is biased heavily toward lowest energy usage. I have a handful of examples where the route other map apps take are easier, shorter, and take less time, but the car prefers more turns, highways instead of interstates, more stop signs & traffic lights, et cetera to save that last 1 or 2%, even times where remaining energy isn't an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd