Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on Autopilot arrives in Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got 2019.16.3.2 on my MX 100D today and the most awaited features is here. Gonna test drive it right away and post about my experience. Here are some screenshots

IMG_20190531_224359.jpg
IMG_20190531_224359.jpg
IMG_20190531_224141.jpg
IMG_20190531_224353.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
Does the new restriction imposed by law on Autopilot a real problem in the country ? Do you often see "autopilot limited" on highways ? Is NoA worth it in Switzerland ?

I dont see the autosteer limit as a problem - I usually take control in tight turns. However, lane change has been a turn off for me. Usually it never gets confirmed and I have to override the autopilot to change the lane every time.

With the NoAP I am seeing that car drives much more confidently on the highway. Really looking forward to another long drive to see the effectiveness.

• Informative
Thanks for the feedback. I'm on the fence (receive the update but didn't apply yet). I like how AP work today (and I'm using auto lane change all the time). I'm not too afraid about tight turns, it should not happen too often... will see if I can wait :)

Looking forward to this update and have a few questions:

1. So you still have to confirm each suggested lane-change with the blinker tipped in the appropriate direction, yes?

2. In Mad Max mode, if you are cruising at 125kmh with follow.dist=5 and approach behind a truck doing 90kmh in the slow lane, and there is no other traffic and you immediately confirm the suggested lane-change, does the car slow down at all in making the pass?

3. Does the same answer hold for Average and Mild modes?

Looking forward to this update and have a few questions:

1. So you still have to confirm each suggested lane-change with the blinker tipped in the appropriate direction, yes?

2. In Mad Max mode, if you are cruising at 125kmh with follow.dist=5 and approach behind a truck doing 90kmh in the slow lane, and there is no other traffic and you immediately confirm the suggested lane-change, does the car slow down at all in making the pass?

3. Does the same answer hold for Average and Mild modes?

1) Yes - there is no option in the menu to auto confirm the lane change. I would also rather keep it that way too.

2) The car wouldn't slow down from the follow on speed - rather accelerate in this case to overtake and then suggest a right lane change. It tries to cruise at max speed set by you. Sometimes it even suggests a lane change when no vehicle is ahead.

3) Yes the same applies to other modes too. I have changed the lane change suggestions to Average mode.

• Informative
Did anyone else noticed the efficiency improvement with latest firmware 2012.16.2 ?

My last round trip for 240 km ( avg speed 100 km/h ) with AC set to 21degree and music all the way was under 200Wh/km. Such a trip would usually be above 260/270 Wh/km in previous versions.

I'm gonna have to go out again today to test it once more.

I got the update last night at midnight and I went out for a test drive close to 1 AM. I got the impression that NoA needs a training period (for the driver). Many things to watch at the same time!

In particular, you are now forced to keep an eye on the IC so that you know when the car decides to change lanes so you can confirm fast enough. And then, you need to make sure that the lane change is safe before you confirm. And you need to move your hand to confirm the lane change but you also need to keep applying pressure to the steering wheel to keep the nagging system satisfied.

It's fun and exciting but I kind of fond it overwhelming the first time. And I had almost no traffic since it was 1 AM.

Reactions: OPRCE and aagosh

I got the update last night at midnight and I went out for a test drive close to 1 AM. I got the impression that NoA needs a training period (for the driver). Many things to watch at the same time!

In particular, you are now forced to keep an eye on the IC so that you know when the car decides to change lanes so you can confirm fast enough. And then, you need to make sure that the lane change is safe before you confirm. And you need to move your hand to confirm the lane change but you also need to keep applying pressure to the steering wheel to keep the nagging system satisfied.

It's fun and exciting but I kind of fond it overwhelming the first time. And I had almost no traffic since it was 1 AM.

Agree its too many things to watch for - though you can skip the lane change by not confirming it.

At 1 AM? FWIW, NoA does not work as well in darkness as it does during the day. Just like the driver, it cannot see as well.

At 1 AM? FWIW, NoA does not work as well in darkness as it does during the day. Just like the driver, it cannot see as well.
Yeap! That seems about right. I just went again on a test drive and performance was indeed better.

But European ALC regulations are certainly crippling NoA. It had to abort lane change a couple of times. And I do have some motorway changes that need to happen kind of fast and I can see how NoA will fail with more traffic than what I had for my test.

Il also had to decline one of the lane changes it wanted to do 1.6 Km before an exit. It wanted to overtake a car and it would have been tight if I let it actually perform the change.

Overtaking is really interesting. The car seems to (sort of) apply European etiquette for left and right lane driving. It takes the left lane to overtake and most of the time, it takes you back to the right lane and seems to be happy staying there until you get to a slower car.

Another interesting thins is that NoA changes to regular AP when going though some long tunnels. It re-engages as soon as the car exits the tunnel.

I see a lot of potential, and I believe it will get much better now that lots of cars will be driving in Europe using it.

Did anyone else noticed the efficiency improvement with latest firmware 2012.16.2 ?

I also notice an improvement but it's probably not linked to 2012.16.2 as I'm still on 2019.12.1.1. It's more probably linked to the good weither we have currently :)

I have to admit it's not so common to see consumption below 200 wh/km with the X, especially driving at highway speed.

Reactions: aagosh
Got my M3 updated on June 1st. Will test today!

Concerned about all tasks to control what the car is about to do and if it’s a real advantage.
I use AP every daily commute but the lane change is not ideal, took me some time to learn ho to use it, still sometimes does correction and goes back into lane after half way change. Very unpleasant.

16.3.2 NoAP test:

1. Dives into exits with little to no warning via indicators.
2. Switches to AP and (sometimes) stops at roundabout/junction with no traffic ahead.
3. When merging into Autobahn, fails about 50% of time.
4. Very slow (~1min) to decide to overtake a 30kmh slower vehicle, even in Mad Max.
5. Equally slow to change back to right lane after overtaking.
6. For long tunnels, switches to AP, then back on reemerging.
7. Limit of 5s for lane-change on indicator confirmation is big setback (also applies to AP solo).
8. About 50% of lane-changes abort if any traffic nearby behind.
9. On ramps slows more in sharp corners but tends to jerk fast/slow.

Summary:
even in light traffic it is pretty damned annoying, cannot imagine using it much this year.
Maybe with HW3 by next June it will be worthwhile switching on.

16.3.2 NoAP test:

1. Dives into exits with little to no warning via indicators.
2. Switches to AP and (sometimes) stops at roundabout/junction with no traffic ahead.
3. When merging into Autobahn, fails about 50% of time.
4. Very slow (~1min) to decide to overtake a 30kmh slower vehicle, even in Mad Max.
5. Equally slow to change back to right lane after overtaking.
6. For long tunnels, switches to AP, then back on reemerging.
7. Limit of 5s for lane-change on indicator confirmation is big setback (also applies to AP solo).
8. About 50% of lane-changes abort if any traffic nearby behind.
9. On ramps slows more in sharp corners but tends to jerk fast/slow.

Summary:
even in light traffic it is pretty damned annoying, cannot imagine using it much this year.
Maybe with HW3 by next June it will be worthwhile switching on.

I guess I’ll hold onto 2019.12.1.2 for as long as I can. Most of my auto lane changes take more than 5 seconds, so the new limitation would be a huge setback in AP usability.

I do hope that the HW3 retrofit arrives this year.