TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nav on Autopilot in the UK :-)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Neil_dsb, May 16, 2019.

1. NorfolkMustard

Cheers Neil

• Like x 1
  2. Rob R

Rob R Member

So that's Nav on AP working in the UK for S/X, and a Dutch guy with a Model 3 reports it works in UK (though not in France or Belgium). So that looks like case closed. One question though, if these are EU rules restricting AP features, why is it different in different countries?

3. 4EVar

4EVar Member

What do you mean by case closed? It's exciting that it's finally coming to the UK.

Different countries (even within the EU) have different laws hence different AP features.

4. jww1966

jww1966 Member

In The Netherlands NOA was there for S and X in 16.1 and was removed in 16.2...

The new European rule forcing to abort a lane change if it takes longer than 5 seconds is really anoying

5. TheTron

TheTron Member

Yes this rule has ruined auto lane change. I tried it today and it aborted just after initiating a lane change because the 5 second limit had expired. The IC displayed a "lane change timed out" message or similar. How is this helping safety? I'm not sure I see any point in NoA apart from it possibly helping you know what lane to get into (though the existing navigation is plenty good enough for that).

6. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Received 16.2 still have NoA

7. NorfolkMustard

A video showing the impact of new EU restrictions on autopilot in 2019.16.1

The impact of the steering angle limitation seems quite bad. The extent of the steering restriction seems relative to speed, but tesla isn't reducing speed to compensate - in the video the model S is wimping out mid-corner, coming to a stop with hazard lights flashing.

Model S, HW2.5, v2019.16.1

The chap does the same route often, here's one of his previous trips from 1st May (different car, but still model S, HW2.5) on v 2019.12.1.1

8. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Yes I have witnessed similar behaviour in higher speed corners on AP....have figured out that with auto lane change, do not even indicate early....only start to signal when the blind spot is clear

9. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Just got 16.3, NoA is much better...it's more deliberate when making decisions.

• Like x 1
  10. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

It’s more that UN agreements that have been incorporated into UK and EU legislation. And they’re pretty general UN requirements too. The UK appeared to have signed up to this independently of the EU from the UN record.

11. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

It’s different because each member of the EU has its own parliament and its own timetable for what it complies with.

12. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

This was my experience from 16.3 on my model S today compared with what I experienced with 16.2 at the weekend.

13. 4EVar

4EVar Member

I'm still waiting for 16.3. Does it actually take exit ramps successfully now? 16.2 clearly did not...lol.

14. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Yes, also just got 16.3.2

15. 4EVar

4EVar Member

How are you getting these updates so quickly? Lol

16. TomasT

TomasT New Member

Hi, do you need to confirm lane change in UK? I got NoA in Czech Republic but have to confirm lane changes which makes it much less useful.

17. 4EVar

4EVar Member

You have to confirm lane change for overtaking, but not for exits.

18. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

I have a WiFi access point in my garage and have set updates to advanced...I also use AP every day maybe 70% of the time....I guess it's a combo of excellent wifi signal and a good user for testing the features?

19. 4EVar

4EVar Member

I have a Wi-Fi access point in the garage and have set updates to advanced but still no joy. It's the 'ol Tesla waiting game. lol

20. zexpe

zexpe New Member

Is regular AP disabled in heavy rain too?