Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on Mute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this has been posted, but does people's Nav mute even though the volume is saved to my profile at 50%. Seems like 90% of the time i start nav when first entering my car its on mute..

No. Do you by chance have an iPhone? When phones connect to cars they try to sync up the volume controls. And it can have odd side effects. There is an option on iPhone to sync Ringer and Alerts with the Buttons (Volume) or not. Try flipping it off and set your ringer Volume there. The car syncs one them.

I had the opposite problem on my Wifes Volt that it would turn the volume down on the phone notifications every time it connected to the car.

I think other issues like your describe could happen. Android might have its own quirks too like this. It gets complicated. But I suspect something like that is happening.

Try getting in your car without your phone and I bet it doesn’t change on you. Just a hunch.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
No. Do you by chance have an iPhone? When phones connect to cars they try to sync up the volume controls. And it can have odd side effects. There is an option on iPhone to sync Ringer and Alerts with the Buttons (Volume) or not. Try flipping it off and set your ringer Volume there. The car syncs one them.

I had the opposite problem on my Wifes Volt that it would turn the volume down on the phone notifications every time it connected to the car.

I think other issues like your describe could happen. Android might have its own quirks too like this. It gets complicated. But I suspect something like that is happening.

Try getting in your car without your phone and I bet it doesn’t change on you. Just a hunch.
I have an android.. this is super annoying

all the time. i've seen other threads on this, not aware of any solution. i also get wildly different volumes coming from the same source--for example, i often have waze on in the background on my phone for the alerts. if i'm listening to a podcast or music, also from my phone, the waze volume is insanely loud. it will correct if i adjust it while the alert is on, but it's jarring every time.

I don't know if this has been posted, but does people's Nav mute even though the volume is saved to my profile at 50%. Seems like 90% of the time i start nav when first entering my car its on mute..

I used to have this problem until I realized while nav is talking the volume wheel will change nav volume. So I instinctively was turning down my music to hear nav but actually just turning down nav.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
It's happened to me a couple of time recently. I noticed it after having used Nav on Autopilot which I use only infrequently just to check on it's progress. I have a theory that NAP causes it but I haven't tried an experiment yet to determine if that's the reason.

I’ve had this forever in my 3 and it’s a real PITA cause you can miss an exit for instance if you’re distracted. Also, typically listening to music so actully have to engage the nav screen to unmute instead of just using volume wheel. this also happens to my wife in her Y and it’s really annoying to her. Would love to hear of a resolution if there is one, or at least a pattern To it. I’ve played with muting since I figured anytime you mute it does it — but that is not the case either so really does feel like a bug. @shiftkenny ever get a response to your service request?

I’ve had this forever in my 3 and it’s a real PITA cause you can miss an exit for instance if you’re distracted. Also, typically listening to music so actully have to engage the nav screen to unmute instead of just using volume wheel. this also happens to my wife in her Y and it’s really annoying to her. Would love to hear of a resolution if there is one, or at least a pattern To it. I’ve played with muting since I figured anytime you mute it does it — but that is not the case either so really does feel like a bug. @shiftkenny ever get a response to your service request?
They tested it while i had to get another service request done and they said its working fine. i swear I'm not turning off myself but whatever. they didnt want to believe me i guess..