Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav Questions from an Infrequent Road-Tripper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching through a number of navigation threads but couldn't find something that fit my particular situation, but apologies if this has been asked before.

So we went to visit some family yesterday, just for the day. 88 miles each way. No problemo, have made the drive before in our S60 and went there and back without needing to stop for a charge.

Well, yesterday Tesla nav got creative and took us a longer way to save time because of traffic. Normally I don't mind this because range isn't an issue, but I didn't realize what it was doing until we had already passed our normal freeway interchange (for those who wonder how you couldn't notice, we were going from Orange County, CA to Camarillo, CA, which takes us through the middle of LA which is a rat maze of freeway interchanges).

So the alternative route tacked on about another 10 miles to our trip and we rolled in to the relatives house with about 100 miles of range left. No problem, I thought, I'll just soft-pedal it home and we'll be fine, it's not too hot out.

After hanging out at the relatives place, they wanted to go to dinner, so now down to 97 miles range. Well, I thought, maybe we'll have to find a supercharger, but I can probably swing it (We had two little kids in the back and didn't particularly want to stop). Finished dinner, did my pre-hyper-miling yoga stretches (kidding), and hit the road.

Again, Tesla nav got creative to avoid some traffic, but this time chose a route that tacked on another 15 miles to get home. It starts to freak out, omg you can't make it to your destination, etc. Already keenly aware of the shenanigans afoot, I luckily knew the direct route and ignored nav's directions, survived the traffic, and with a gentle foot arrived home safely with 17 miles of range left.

So my major questions are:

1) On the return trip, I couldn't find any option to pick the shortest route, instead of the fastest route. Did I totally miss how to do that?

2) I thought in one of the previous updates, when you have a destination that would require supercharging to reach, I thought it would suggest a supercharger to visit? Like I said we don't venture very far afield with the little ones, so maybe I'm mis-remembering that. But on our return trip we didn't get any help on that front, just the "omg you can't make it" message.

3) I would think when it comes to range considerations, shorter distance should trump time by the nav software? I'm sure this has been suggested by many who take longer trips far more frequently than I.

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
Not a direct answer to your questions, but, I've changed my Nav-rerouting to only reroute if it saves me 15 minutes. This helps eliminate those "faster" routes.

I turned off the entire traffic feature on the Nav app. No it doesn't warn you or give you a choice and for me it's wrong most of the time.
I live close to Camarillo so just for future reference you could have gone North a few miles to the Oxnard Supercharger or (depending on your route) stopped at Burbank or Hawthorne on your way home.

when it pulls a freak out, and you know better cancel your routing and then input your destination again, it should "calm" down. if it still is telling you that you cannot make it consider stopping for a short SpC visit.

Living in LA proper, I've found the traffic re-routing to be a lifesaver. It works so well I stopped using Waze.

Actually it works better than Waze which will sometimes have you exit an expressway, go around the block and get back on the expressway a tenth of a mile down the road.

Re: #2 - at the onset of your trip, if you require an SC visit, it will warn you. If you run short of range mid-trip, I believe you need to manually decide to re-route to a charger.

Re: #3 - I tend to ignore the traffic re-routing if I am worried about range--while getting better, it still flaps way too much

My favorite on long trips is when you are cruising between Superchargers and you are almost halfway to the next Supercharger and it decides you can't make it so routes you BACK to the SC you just came from. Well, WTF did you tell me I have enough energy to continue my trip for then?