Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAV SD Copy Instructions / Partitioning / Linux / Windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the latest NAV update won't download to my 2013 P85 MCU1, I've taken the dash apart(again...) to put in a new 16G "industrial" microSD. I tried to buy a pre formatted one at the local SC, but they didn't have one in stock(a wasted trip as you can't call and check availability or ordering(another topic of a "pita")).
I have a new SD card, and would like to know if anyone here has info/instructions on the partitioning/copy/moving the data from the old card to the new one? Does it need to be done in linux or can it be done in windows? Clone it? Etc... I have a program call "Etcher" which can clone, in linux, windows, etc, but don't want another copy of a corrupted old card. Looking for a set of instructions so we can maybe pin it for everyone here that might need it.
Tx
Kaveman

Since the latest NAV update won't download to my 2013 P85 MCU1, I've taken the dash apart(again...) to put in a new 16G "industrial" microSD. I tried to buy a pre formatted one at the local SC, but they didn't have one in stock(a wasted trip as you can't call and check availability or ordering(another topic of a "pita")).
I have a new SD card, and would like to know if anyone here has info/instructions on the partitioning/copy/moving the data from the old card to the new one? Does it need to be done in linux or can it be done in windows? Clone it? Etc... I have a program call "Etcher" which can clone, in linux, windows, etc, but don't want another copy of a corrupted old card. Looking for a set of instructions so we can maybe pin it for everyone here that might need it.
Tx
Kaveman
Do a Google search for "read linux SD card on Windows". I recently needed to get files from my Raspberry Pi SD card. I used Linux Reader for Window found at Freeware Linux Reader™ for Windows
Ah, I just had a thought. Clone someone's working SD card. It might be personalized so might ni work in your S. But you can look at the file structure and use it to rebuild your own. Lot of work. Maybe best to get one from SC when in stock and make a backup with Etcher.

Last edited:
I just installed a free copy of Linux on my laptop (dual boot so still running Windows when I want) then run Loek his script on your new SD card and your done.

All the info you need is in this topic:

I believe you can also buy pre formatted SD cards from other companies but that wasn't available when I got this issue

Reactions: Kaveman