TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Nav System: Address Book

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by William3, Dec 24, 2012.

1. William3

William3 Member

Aug 7, 2008
    #1 William3, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    It's been mentioned that the navigation system doesn't have an address book. Probably the only OEM nav system on the market which lacks this feature.

For people who don't own the car and are wondering, I'd like to expand on this. (I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned yet.)

When you pair an Android phone with the car it will transfer your phone's contact list to the car. This transfers all the names and phone numbers AND ADDRESSES. Yes, that's right, addresses too. If I want to navigate to a friend's house then I just bring up that person's contact record from the phone app, then I just click on his address. The address will be transferred quickly to Google Maps and you're all set. Very slick, I don't know of any other car that can do this. If someone knows of any other car that does this please let me know, I like to be up-to-date on these sort of things.

It probably does this with an iPhone as well, but I honestly don't know. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Tesla still should add a nav address book though. Not everyone has an Android phone, and not everyone wants to populate their phone's contact list with a bunch of businesses.
  2. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

May 21, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, it works that way with an iPhone also - used it a few times this weekend already. The thing that may not be obvious to most people is that you have to go to the Phone app to kick this off instead of the Nav app.
  3. dtich

dtich #P708

May 31, 2012
    Los Angeles
    yes, does this with iphone too. my bmw has done this for a few years. but the model s integration is very good. much better. quite happy with how this is starting to work.
  4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    I hope adding favorites from your address book or recently visited places is on their to do list too. Seems a basic feature so would expect it soon.
  5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I mentioned elsewhere about the photo placeholder for contact pics on the displays.. Can't wait for that update as well!
  6. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Cripes! My iPhone address book is part of my gmail account. That is close to 1200 addresses and phone numbers. Scares me to think how long that transfer would take :scared:
  7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Apr 3, 2009
    Audi does this as well (they also use Google Maps so there's that data point). I haven't seen it in action yet, but I don't usually store addresses of contacts.