Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: Home address / navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also agree with the D grade. This system is worse than any car I have owned with GPS and several hand held units. I'm talking about 2005 model years and newer. I don't buy the theory that the system will be fixed anytime soon. Buying new maps for the DVD based systems has been mostly unnecessary for me. I can say that my 2005 DVD in either a Lexus or Infinity seriously outperforms the Tesla system. very disappointing.

On this subject, does anyone know how to enter my home addess so that I don't have to enter it to go home? The history and recent searches function does not populate either. Basically I have to re-enter any and all addresses each time I need them. What am I doing wrong? The manual is totally useless and essentially empty of information.

On this subject, does anyone know how to enter my home addess so that I don't have to enter it to go home? The history and recent searches function does not populate either. Basically I have to re-enter any and all addresses each time I need them. What am I doing wrong? The manual is totally useless and essentially empty of information.

I actually like the system. The only things that are missing are a favorites list and the option to choose fastest or shortest routes. As for populating the history, your experience is odd; my history list gets populated automatically. Only thing I can recommend is to talk to your Service Manager.

That said, don't get me started on missing/insufficient manuals....

The history and recent searches function does not populate either. Basically I have to re-enter any and all addresses each time I need them. What am I doing wrong? The manual is totally useless and essentially empty of information.
I had this issue. Rebooting (hold both scroll wheels) solved it. (Rebooting also fixed a seemingly related problem of the web browser not allowing me to add favorites.)

Yes, thank you Lightning, a reboot immediately displayed all of my history to date. I still can't figure out how to enter a simple "home" location. For now I just use my history entry but this is just plain wrong. I should just be able to say Drive Home and be done with it, like every other Nav car on the planet.

I should just be able to say Drive Home and be done with it, like every other Nav car on the planet.
This is not OFF topic, as I agree with many of the grievances posted on this thread, but is topic-tangential:
You should not input your actual HOME into any car's NAV system, but instead input an address that is about a block or 2 away.
If you take your car to a valet, they can easily get your home address, presume that you are not home and if working in cahoots (always feel old using that term) with someone, radio them your HOME address.
Endless other possibilities, unless, of course, you never valet park your car. Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

This is not OFF topic, as I agree with many of the grievances posted on this thread, but is topic-tangential:
You should not input your actual HOME into any car's NAV system, but instead input an address that is about a block or 2 away.
If you take your car to a valet, they can easily get your home address, presume that you are not home and if working in cahoots (always feel old using that term) with someone, radio them your HOME address.
Endless other possibilities, unless, of course, you never valet park your car. Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

Do you have your registration and insurance card in your car????

Just wondering...

Would make all of the above superfluous.

If you create a "Home" contact on your phone, you should be able to use say "Drive to Home" - and then click on "Navigate". Since the contact information is only available while the phone is connected to the car - the actual address won't be stored in the car.

HOWEVER, the navigation history will show the record of all past navigation.

A "valet" mode would be very useful - to limit functionality in the car (speed, changing driver's stored settings, navigation, ...) and provide instructions on how to operate the car.

Though the best security measure is not to use valet and not allow anyone other than Tesla service to have access to the car...

Yes, thank you Lightning, a reboot immediately displayed all of my history to date. I still can't figure out how to enter a simple "home" location. For now I just use my history entry but this is just plain wrong. I should just be able to say Drive Home and be done with it, like every other Nav car on the planet.

Use phone contacts! Works for everything. See below.

If you create a "Home" contact on your phone, you should be able to use say "Drive to Home" - and then click on "Navigate". Since the contact information is only available while the phone is connected to the car - the actual address won't be stored in the car.

HOWEVER, the navigation history will show the record of all past navigation.

I can't get 'navigate' or 'drive' to work with phone contacts. I have to use 'call' so-and-so. Then their contact card pops up on the 17" screen, and there are two buttons 'navigate' and 'call'. Just press the navigate button.

Odds are if you are driving somewhere that won't come up on the google search means you probably want them in your phone anyway.

I have used Navigon on my iPhone/iPad for trips to Europe and it has been flawless. I like having a second unique system as backup, not dependent on the internet, for all the reasons stated regarding map accuracy and strength of signal. But my one real bitch is with the Google Maps traffic feature. When you are navigating somewhere and the traffic feature is active, the purple route navigation line obscures the traffic color code making it useless.

Do you have your registration and insurance card in your car????
Good point. I keep those things buried in the frunk. That being said, they are addressed to my office. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

A "valet" mode would be very useful - to limit functionality in the car (speed, changing driver's stored settings, navigation, ...)
Tesla has a valet mode in the Roadster and I always bragged about it to others. Not sure why they eschewed it?

If they would have just used Google navigation (either the Android version or the iPhone version) then everyone would have been much happier.

I'm not sure about that. When 3G is lost, Google maps are lost too. It would make navigation a bit difficult! Some kind of caching is promised in a future update, but it's not clear how wide an area would be cached and if it will handle night/day changes or zooming. Google really needs to do more work to make it a cleaner operation for vehicles - which I suspect they will over time.

Google maps does not have 3D view nor the ability to orient to the direction of travel, which the Garmin system does. I sort of like the combo, but yes, it could be a bit better. I really like they are not making us pay $200 every year for updates like every other car maker - as it includes 7 years of updates.