Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav system is frozen and cameras not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
Both nav and cameras are not working. I tried a hard reset with no luck. Tesla service center don’t answer the phone as usual and I am not close by. Any idea how to fix the issue and how do I contact Tesla??
Thanks

I will
Try that although I did a hard reset with the break pedal

There isnt any difference in using the brake pedal or not when doing the two thumbwheel reboot, and most would not consider that a "hard" reset. Thats a regular reboot. I only mention this because sometimes the terms will make people think you tried something you didnt.

Most people would consider a "hard" reset disconnecting the connector for the battery under the back seat. I am not suggesting you do that, but that would be a "hard" reset.

Reactions: outdoors
I had this happen to me once. I just parked the car when I got home, and the next day when I went to drive it, all was fine. Since this happened to you just a short while ago, there is some hope it may fix itself overnight. Good luck.

(Backing into the garage without the backup camera was challenging.)

I had this happen to me once. I just parked the car when I got home, and the next day when I went to drive it, all was fine. Since this happened to you just a short while ago, there is some hope it may fix itself overnight. Good luck.

(Backing into the garage without the backup camera was challenging.)

I have read stuff like this happening before here on TMC, so thats why I recommended the "power off" without touching it for a bit. Basically, the OP wants the car to go to sleep like yours did. These type things tend to resolve themselves after the car goes to sleep.

I have read stuff like this happening before here on TMC, so thats why I recommended the "power off" without touching it for a bit. Basically, the OP wants the car to go to sleep like yours did. These type things tend to resolve themselves after the car goes to sleep.

I agree.

I was texting with the service center and they also can’t help. I need to bring the car in. I don’t understand how a screen reset doesn’t fix the issue 🤔

Since this just happened today, I would not worry until tomorrow. Get your appointment to take the car in just in case, but there's at least a chance that if it just sits overnight it will be okay.

For me it has not happened again and it's been a year or two.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I was texting with the service center and they also can’t help. I need to bring the car in. I don’t understand how a screen rest doesn’t fix the issue 🤔
did you try powering it off and letting it sit (meaning, using the POWER OFF command in the menus) for at least 10 minutes?
Yep. It was off for an hour actually. I will do it over night hopefully it will help. Does this has anything to
Do with the new app version? I noticed they released even a 2nd update today

Yep. It was off for an hour actually. I will do it over night hopefully it will help. Does this has anything to
Do with the new app version? I noticed they released even a 2nd update today

It would surprise me if the app could cause this. Especially given the number of people using the app. It's probably a fault in the car itself. Hopefully a transient one that will self-correct and not repeat.

There isnt any difference in using the brake pedal or not when doing the two thumbwheel reboot, and most would not consider that a "hard" reset. Thats a regular reboot. I only mention this because sometimes the terms will make people think you tried something you didnt.

Most people would consider a "hard" reset disconnecting the connector for the battery under the back seat. I am not suggesting you do that, but that would be a "hard" reset.
What about factory reset on the screen? Would that help? Can I do it myself?

that will erase all your personal settings. Probably not? Let it sleep overnight (without checking it in the tesla app, etc) and check it in the morning.
Yes! This AM it’s back to normal
What is strange is that members of this forum advised me to do that but Tesla technician didn’t 🤦‍♂️.
they almost got me to leave my car for the weekend at the service center .

What is strange is that members of this forum advised me to do that but Tesla technician didn’t 🤦‍♂️.

Probably because they "assumed" that you had already did that. Of course, I have no idea what they are thinking, but my entire career has been in either providing, or managing people who provide, support for IT "devices".... more than 30 years in fact.

if I had a nickel for every time someone was annoyed at a help desk type person asking "did you reboot it?", yet, that ending up being what resolved their issue, I would be a very rich person. People get very annoyed at being told "shut it down and turn it back on" or any variation of that, saying " I DID THAT ALREADY!" so sometimes people dont suggest it.

Thats what this suggestion was, basically... (shut it down, wait for it to go to sleep, and check again).

Glad its back working.

Yea!!! Great news!

And if you had left it with them, it would have been fixed when you got it back and they could have taken the credit. ;) :rolleyes: Seriously, they may have been reluctant to give the impression that they were brushing you off.

Probably because they "assumed" that you had already did that. Of course, I have no idea what they are thinking, but my entire career has been in either providing, or managing people who provide, support for IT "devices".... more than 30 years in fact.

if I had a nickel for every time someone was annoyed at a help desk type person asking "did you reboot it?", yet, that ending up being what resolved their issue, I would be a very rich person. People get very annoyed at being told "shut it down and turn it back on" or any variation of that, saying " I DID THAT ALREADY!" so sometimes people dont suggest it.

Thats what this suggestion was, basically... (shut it down, wait for it to go to sleep, and check again).

Glad its back working.
Well there is a difference between asking to do a reboot which is what I did, twice, and have an over-night reboot which honestly I don’t even understand how a machine needs an over night “rest”. But I am not a tech person at all.

Yea!!! Great news!

And if you had left it with them, it would have been fixed when you got it back and they could have taken the credit. ;) :rolleyes: Seriously, they may have been reluctant to give the impression that they were brushing you off.
Exactly what I was thinking. Not only that, they may have even charged me for that ☠️
I any case- you guys here are great and very helpful 👍👍

... honestly I don’t even understand how a machine needs an over night “rest”.

Me, neither! I sort of figured that something on the "reset" continuum happens when the car goes to sleep. I think maybe "turning the car off" (which doesn't really turn it completely off because it still wakes up when you unlock it) and allowing the car to "go to sleep" by leaving it alone for a while, might be two different things.

I’m having this same issue. For several days now. And it’s the 2nd Time this has happened (the first time it resolved after a scroll wheel reset while plugged into a supercharger- not sure if that was coincidence).
I’ve tried:
* Scroll wheel reset (several times, with and without brake, a few holding until seeing the Tesla logo)
* power off for over 30 minutes
* swap out the “wheels” in service menu (and back again)
* reformatting the USB
* open/close the hatch

Am I missing anything (outside of unplugging the battery)