Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav system showing alternate routes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the Nav somewhat disappointing. Even though I have it set to reroute for 2 minutes saving, it very rarely does. On the other hand, using my phone’s Google maps, it would chime in all the time. I find the destination arrival times are less accurate than my phone. Tesla’s Navi is a B or B-. It should be better.

I'd still like to know what the basis for routing is - fastest route time-wise? shortest distance? most efficient in terms of energy use? It would be nice to be able to adjust that setting as well. It definitely does some weird routing for me at times.
Fastest time, ignoring other factors. It wants me to take the toll road to our airport ($10) when the non toll road route is 3min slower. It will even recommend a freeway route requiring a charging stop over a slightly slower backroads shortcut not requiring a stop.

It’s a great nav system but you need to question it sometimes.

Reactions: ArtK and sleepydoc
Tesla buying Waze would be fantastic
Agreed. Adding CarPlay or allowing external apps would also be awesome. Maps is a great example - the Tesla Nav app is very good and most of the time it’s all I need, but there are cases where Apple, Goole, ABRP or waze would be better.

The killer feature that Tesla’s nav app has is integration with the car & supercharging. The other mapping apps have other features that Tesla lacks so the best app depends on what you need.

Reactions: johnnycnote
I really wish they would give you 3 route options like Waze or give you an avoid interstate option or something. Telsa always gives me a route on a freeway I HATE due to it being a 6 lane under construction death trap that people wreck on and fork it all up literally every day. I avoid this route at all costs but Tesla nav will choose it no matter what due to it being 2 minutes faster. The other options are only a few minutes longer according to Waze but in reality, always work out better and have much lower stress.

The only option is to look on the phone app first, go the alternate way and wait for Tesla nav to figure it out, or add a waypoint in between which is a PITA and screws up half the time.

I must say that software improvements like this have been sort of stagnating at Tesla over the last while. I wish they would do things like improving the NAV system to allow a choice of alternate routes instead of chasing the elusive FSD dream.
Agreed - It's hard for me to say for sure since FSDb participants get fewer updates but it seems like the only thing that's changing lately is the FSD software.

Another interesting little 'feature' - yesterday, driving home from the Boston area to Central NJ, the nav changed my route twice - neither time did it notify me or give me an option, it just changed it with no notification at all. I have my nav setting to change the route if it saves 10 minutes but I recall that it would give you the option to choose the new route - so you'd get notification that a faster route was available, and whether or not you'd accept it. Yesterday, it just changed both times with no warning or notification at all. Strange.

Another interesting little 'feature' - yesterday, driving home from the Boston area to Central NJ, the nav changed my route twice - neither time did it notify me or give me an option, it just changed it with no notification at all. I have my nav setting to change the route if it saves 10 minutes but I recall that it would give you the option to choose the new route - so you'd get notification that a faster route was available, and whether or not you'd accept it. Yesterday, it just changed both times with no warning or notification at all. Strange.
I did see this last weekend, though it worked in the positive for me as it changed from the route I didn't favor to the one I did, without me having to use my phone to figure out the first step that would force the Tesla to come along. I set my threshold down to 2 minutes. If I'm only going 50 miles, 10 minutes is a big deal.