Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: Traffic time estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

josh

Nov 17, 2008
I have noticed that, when using the navigation, the system will say "29 miles, 33 minutes" at rush hour, when the traffic image clearly shows lots of slowness. The google maps app on my phone or on the web clearly gives me a different estimate (and much more useful) accounting for the traffic, but best I can tell the Model S does not. Has anyone else experienced this or found any way to improve it?

Unfortunately it looks like that despite displaying the super-rich google traffic data, there is actually nothing done with it in forming a route or displaying travel time. This is probably one of my bigger disappointments on the car (which overall I love). While in a traditional car this would make me very concerned, given that this is just software, it could be easily updated and I hope it will soon!

Unfortunately it looks like that despite displaying the super-rich google traffic data, there is actually nothing done with it in forming a route or displaying travel time. This is probably one of my bigger disappointments on the car (which overall I love). While in a traditional car this would make me very concerned, given that this is just software, it could be easily updated and I hope it will soon!

I suppose it's possible that's due to the differences between the actual nav and the google maps (2 different systems). Then again, the big screen is where you typically see time remaining, so it should be able to factor in Google's data. *shrug* probably in a future update. I suspect in the next 3-6 months this car will get far more polished and cool.

Yep, I was a bit surprised too, my Plug in Prius had XM Traffic Nav that was integrated into the GPS and came with a 3 year subscription to it, that is a lot less sophisticated than the Model S. I'm assuming it's on their list of "to do" things, but not a high priority right now. Probably getting the "standby" right is far more important than this minor annoyance, I'm sure they'll get to it, patience grasshoper.

I find Google's estimate of travel time on my phone is not real accurate. The version in the car is even less so. The most accurate app I've found is Waze. It finds back routes that are even faster (10 to 30%) than my Google phone app.