TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nav System: Traffic time estimates

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by josh, Dec 7, 2012.

1. josh

josh Member

I have noticed that, when using the navigation, the system will say "29 miles, 33 minutes" at rush hour, when the traffic image clearly shows lots of slowness. The google maps app on my phone or on the web clearly gives me a different estimate (and much more useful) accounting for the traffic, but best I can tell the Model S does not. Has anyone else experienced this or found any way to improve it?

2. Rossh

Rossh Member

Unfortunately it looks like that despite displaying the super-rich google traffic data, there is actually nothing done with it in forming a route or displaying travel time. This is probably one of my bigger disappointments on the car (which overall I love). While in a traditional car this would make me very concerned, given that this is just software, it could be easily updated and I hope it will soon!

3. William3

William3 Member

I'm really let down by this too. My previous car accounted for traffic conditions when displaying the "time remaining" info.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

This should be a relatively simple software update. Complain to Tesla if you haven't already so they know.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I suppose it's possible that's due to the differences between the actual nav and the google maps (2 different systems). Then again, the big screen is where you typically see time remaining, so it should be able to factor in Google's data. *shrug* probably in a future update. I suspect in the next 3-6 months this car will get far more polished and cool.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Yep, I was a bit surprised too, my Plug in Prius had XM Traffic Nav that was integrated into the GPS and came with a 3 year subscription to it, that is a lot less sophisticated than the Model S. I'm assuming it's on their list of "to do" things, but not a high priority right now. Probably getting the "standby" right is far more important than this minor annoyance, I'm sure they'll get to it, patience grasshoper.

7. efxjim

efxjim Member

I find Google's estimate of travel time on my phone is not real accurate. The version in the car is even less so. The most accurate app I've found is Waze. It finds back routes that are even faster (10 to 30%) than my Google phone app.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

+1 for waze. Would love to have that once apps are allowed. I like to know where cops are hiding in new areas

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Yes, I miss Waze. It would occasionally point me down truly unlikely routes that, to my astonishment, dropped me back on the main route just past some nasty snarl.

10. William3

William3 Member

+1 for Waze, it is wonderful. I wish Tesla would sell it as an "app" for the Model S. I like it much better than the Nav software that the car currently comes with.

11. clea

clea Member