Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav system without charging stops- how good is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oops. posted in wrong area...ment to put in the "User interface" section. Any way to move it?

So I have read all about the issues with the nav system and the crazy routing to superchargers. Are there any issues with the nav system without adding in the charging stops?
I assume it works fine- it is basically the google nav system, correct?

Nope, it sucks.

I ALWAYS double check on google maps.

Often the nav doesn't take into account traffic, gives me route and time estimates different from google, and rarely takes the "best" route.

The navigation system seems to prefer a shorter route over a faster one. I almost always run the car's navigation and Waze at the same time.
The car's navi tends to route you through charging stations even if it doesn't add a charging station. I've seen it do it many times and it was confirmed by Tesla's service. So you might see a route that makes little sense.

Ditto here as far a running Waze & Google. I did find a problem in route refreshing and traffic display in the Google map. A hard reboot to the system with holding down the steering wheel scroll wheels for 10 seconds took care of that. It also took care of a stereo playback issue.
The latest 6.2 software update is really screwy with recommending SC and indicating 0 charge needed there. I also get routed back or across to previous or other SCs I don't need. Let's hope that gets fixed on the next update.

Admittedly I haven't had the car very long, but I've found the navigation without supercharging stops to be much better than with. As others have said, it's not perfect and Waze / google may give better options, but it's not bad either. I think the biggest deficiency is the inability to display multiple route options. I don't always like Waze or Google's first choice either, but at least you can pick from other options. Maybe this will be addressed in 7.0?

Admittedly I haven't had the car very long, but I've found the navigation without supercharging stops to be much better than with. As others have said, it's not perfect and Waze / google may give better options, but it's not bad either. I think the biggest deficiency is the inability to display multiple route options. I don't always like Waze or Google's first choice either, but at least you can pick from other options. Maybe this will be addressed in 7.0?

I tend to agree. Navigating to places within the car's range tends to be pretty good, but it seems to lean towards the most energy efficient route and not the fastest route. Like @slevit1md, I agree that a route picking option would make it a whole lot better.

Also doesn't have waypoints.

My 11 year old Toyota Highlander has a better built in NAV in terms of features. The one in the Model S is just prettier.

NAV is one of those embarrassingly bad things that when you demo the car and anybody starts asking any detailed questions about the NAV, you just want to go hide in a corner somewhere and cry.

I'm going to dissent in part. I definitely think that Waze is better, but I think that Tesla's nav is pretty decent. It does a better job with route selecting and traffic rerouting than my wife's Lexus and the nav is better than the Mercedes or Porsche systems I've used. I do wish it supported multiple waypoints. It does a better job with speech recognition of destinations and the interface is logical and easy to use, especially managing favorites and ease of scrolling through past destinations.

Waze is best. Google Maps is better. 6.2 Nav is highly suspect, even without SC routing. I've had it try to turn me down one-way roads, closed roads, or with SC integration, horrible scenarios that would have definitely caused me to run out of charge in the middle of nowhere, e.g., north of Corning near the Oregon border when on CA-36.

- K

Also doesn't have waypoints.

My 11 year old Toyota Highlander has a better built in NAV in terms of features. The one in the Model S is just prettier.

NAV is one of those embarrassingly bad things that when you demo the car and anybody starts asking any detailed questions about the NAV, you just want to go hide in a corner somewhere and cry.

Agreed. It's unfortunate to have to vent mount an iPhone just to run Waze. We did a short run yesterday (LA to not quite San Diego) and the routing differences were... creative, to say the least. Definitely opportunities for improvement in route selection, waypoint management, and even the charger list. "As the crow flies" mileage is unhelpful with regard to the latter; my car, while a driver's dream, cannot as yet fly. At least without a road under it.